• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Steve Borock Interview

46 posts in this topic

dup.jpg

Hammer asks:

There was a period in time, of about 10 months, when I was filling the CPG Forums with hundreds of before and after images of Heritage Permanent Auction archives images. These images clearly showed books that were re-submitted to CGC and received higher grades AFTER they had been visibly altered. I just want to know how he felt about seeing the concise evidence of this in HUNDREDS of examples that I presented on the CPG Forums. 7.5s pressed and cleaned into 9.2s, a 4.5 pressed and cleaned into an 8.5, and in many cases, grade jumps of 1.0 and more without any discernable alteration at all.

SB: I will answer ANY question this guy has if he ever shows up in person with his NY drivers ID at a show or at the CGC offices (when he is back in jail, the offer is off the table). Listen, unlike this guy, I show up at cons and CGC forum dinners and answer ALL questions. "Hammer/Meth/Dupcek/Koos/Comic-Keys" loves the internet. He is allowed to sit behind a computer, sell restored comic books as unrestored, give false and bad advice to newcomers, and spills hate filled rhetoric all over chat boards. Nice, huh? Good way to keep the hobby healthy. I do not believe STL should encourage this guy like you do.

:headbang:

Mark Haspel, the new CEO, is a mystery to me. He's definitely in the shadows way more than his predecessor. We need to know him, as he is the new chief. Steve has now joined the dark side at Heritage lol.

Mark is top-notch, a great guy. Very available at conventions or by phone, just not very active on the boards.

Daniel@PGX asks: How do you feel about not being able to force PGX out of business?

SB: Who?

Comedy gold. :applause:

I laughed when I read that lol

I remember reading this a while back. Good interview and I enjoy Steve's tell it how it is style. Glad they included a professional staff photo of CGC with the interview:

cgcgraders.jpg

I've never seen a picture of PGX's staff. Maybe you need a stronger flash to take a pic in the basement on mom's camera? (shrug)

I've never seen a picture of PGX's staff. Maybe you need a stronger flash to take a pic in the basement on mom's camera? (shrug)

And you never will. And, you would not need a wide angle lens to take a picture of one person.

DRX

To my knowledge, PGX does not have a physical store front or separate business facility. On the state business registry, , there is an address listed and it is a residential address.

Google map the address with the satellite view. Does this look like a retail/industrial area to anyone? (shrug) And the primary place of business is a PO box. Kind of hard to squeeze an office in one of those...

some business are okay to run out of a house. IMHO, I would never ever store books at my house. You know how some dirtballs operate and if someone gets word this guy is storing a lot of valuable comics at his house, sooner or later...

Screw that. Rent some space, get some insurance, and move everything into a secure, non-residential facility...and I don't mean a storage unit either.

Daniel@PGX asks: How do you feel about not being able to force PGX out of business?

SB: Who?

Comedy gold. :applause:

I laughed when I read that lol

I remember reading this a while back. Good interview and I enjoy Steve's tell it how it is style. Glad they included a professional staff photo of CGC with the interview:

cgcgraders.jpg

So where's Ali and Gemma at? The ladies get no respect! :sumo:

:gossip: (or was this pic taken before they were hired?)

Wow, seeing Erik's excellent interview brings fond flashbacks. Weird seeing that graphic I did to illustrate SCS. :D

SCS.jpg

Even weirder is THIS statement...

if "SCS" was a major problem, we would be hearing it from every major collector and dealer in the country.

You mean it ISN'T????

I have heard SCS so much on these boards it makes my head spin.

How on god's green earth "every major collector and dealer" isn't talking about it beyond me.

:P

Mark Haspel, the new CEO, is a mystery to me. He's definitely in the shadows way more than his predecessor. We need to know him, as he is the new chief. Steve has now joined the dark side at Heritage lol.

Mark Haspel is a great guy. A total comic nerd, and I mean that in the best possible way. Mark does not have Steve Borock's flair for public relations. Mark is more the kind of guy you could find yourself talking to one-on-one about comics for an hour straight at a forum dinner. (Not that I did that in San Diego in 2005 or anything.) He is like a walking comic encyclopedia. I felt like a newbie after talking to him and I've been collecting for over 30 years.

Steve has now joined the dark side at Heritage lol.

Wouldn't take a Nostradamus to see that probable outcome from a gazillion miles away. meh

"Davenport asks:

1. Why in the world would CGC allow Heritage Comics to align themselves with your company, knowing of past FTC rulings against their unethical grading shenanigans in other hobbies?

SB: : We are not "aligned" with them. We are marketing partners, just like we are with Wizard, Overstreet, Top Cow, Jerry Weist (Sotheby's), IDW, ACTOR, Vault Auctions, GPanalysis, Big Apple conventions, Paradise comics, Metropolis and many, many others.

While Jim Halperin, unlike the other companies I have mentioned, does own a small share of the Certified Collectibles Group, he has nothing to do with the day to day operations, no voting power, and he and his company gets treated the same as all other submitters. "

:juggle: