• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF - crazy AH! auction

127 posts in this topic

I don't get the $5,000 either. So I agree with you on that front, but people will pay what they want to pay, and want what they want. So the hand wringing is much ado about not a hell of a a lot, really.

The person who won has deep pockets. And Chris, when you find out who

won, you'll understand it all.

Congrats to Adam & Allison on helping to pay for 'new house' bills !!!!

John H.

Just think if the 'Big Boys' got interested in convention sketches or

current titles/artists. Everyone would have to be scrambling for crumbs.

That's why old-time collectors of Silver and Bronze Age original art are

crying. They've been priced out by guys with deep pockets.

I don't get the $5,000 either. So I agree with you on that front, but people will pay what they want to pay, and want what they want. So the hand wringing is much ado about not a hell of a a lot, really.

The person who won has deep pockets. And Chris, when you find out who

won, you'll understand it all.

Congrats to Adam & Allison on helping to pay for 'new house' bills !!!!

John H.

PM sent ;)

If that were the case, I'd quit this hobby right now. Seriously, the 'Big Boys' can have everything. Many artists already like to charge $200 for a con sketch when only few them make it worth it. If the 'Big Boys' are going to drive the price for con sketches, then let them have them. I'm satisfied with what I already have and I needed a reason to quit.

Given the seller of the Phantom Lady piece I think there is a better chance that if someone offered $3500 for it, the offer would be rejected, the piece pulled down and then re-listed for $4900 instead of $3900.

On a more serious note, that's an early 90's piece, and Adam's style has evolved a great deal since then. There's a reason it's not selling for what some of his better new covers sell for...

I guess I am one of the few who likes his early 90s Legends of the Stargrazers.

Given the seller of the Phantom Lady piece I think there is a better chance that if someone offered $3500 for it, the offer would be rejected, the piece pulled down and then re-listed for $4900 instead of $3900.

On a more serious note, that's an early 90's piece, and Adam's style has evolved a great deal since then. There's a reason it's not selling for what some of his better new covers sell for...

I guess I am one of the few who likes his early 90s Legends of the Stargrazers.

I'm not a big AH! fan by any stretch of the imagination. However, I do like his earlier work better. I guess that is why they say "to each his own".

Brian

Congratulations to buyer and seller.

1) Pictures of the fan along with the art?

If the person is the legal owner, they can do what they want with the art.

Many people on these boards have sold and traded away AH! art.

If it weren't for the secondary market, I might not have been able to own an AH! cover.

2)1/2 the profit to the artist?

Sounding a lot like BWS' agent. What if the art is sold at a loss? What if the art is traded?

3)"Anthony Moy" - If Anthony Snyder and Albert Moy had a kid? :sick:

Cheers!

N

2)1/2 the profit to the artist?

Sounding a lot like BWS' agent. What if the art is sold at a loss? What if the art is traded?

Cheers!

N

I didn't say "YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE ARTIST 1/2!!!!"

The OP said if someone offered him that much money it would give him a headache not knowing what to do and if it was the right thing to do.

The hypothesis he gave was "if someone offered him $5,000 cash he didn't know what to do and it would give him a headache."

It wasn't sold at a loss, it wasn't traded, and no one was demanding he give away the money.

I offered him an option to ease his headache. A 800% profit for himself, something similar for the guy who made it possible for him to make the 800% and lots of warm fuzzy feelings to go around.

How can you go wrong? :whee:

Umm... probably because it sounds like he has no intention of letting it go for $2500 if $5k is the number that makes him think about it? (shrug)

That's why it was a tongue in cheek comment. (thumbs u

I thought the discussion of cold hard economics followed up by "warm and fuzzy feelings" was the tip off.

But it's late and I was too tired to be properly sarcastic. :sorry:

If you want an AH! cover, single character but pen-and-ink and published, Anthony Moy has had a Tomb Raider piece on his site for several months. $3500 and shipping.

I've wondered why this piece has lasted as long as it has. Any ideas?

Nobody can find Anthony Moy's website? (shrug)

:jokealert:

If you want an AH! cover, single character but pen-and-ink and published, Anthony Moy has had a Tomb Raider piece on his site for several months. $3500 and shipping.

I've wondered why this piece has lasted as long as it has. Any ideas?

It's still for sale because it's a character cover and pretty but not dynamic. The image didn't appear on a comic book, there's no background artwork, and most buyers must think it's overpriced at $3500. I agree.

I think the auction went for Krazy money, too.

Nobody can find Anthony Moy's website? (shrug)

Oops, I slipped up. Anthony isn't gonna be happy that I mentioned his name.

You see, Anthony Moy has all of the OA that you've always wanted -- all of your life -- and, somehow, were never able to find. The covers to AF #15, Action #1, Detective Comics #27...so many more.

But only us guys with the cereal box decoder ring got the super secret website address.

When has no background effected the price of a cover. It seems like most "covers" these days are just pinups with no backgrounds.

Personally, I like it when a cover has a strong background. I'll pay more for it, too. That said -- you're right, more and more covers are practically pin-ups.

When has no background effected the price of a cover. It seems like most "covers" these days are just pinups with no backgrounds.

I love a good background myself. It really completes the image. I have turned down several newer covers over the last 2 years that had no backgrounds or had the background dropped in later with photoshop.

If you compare the Tomb Raider cover with a cover like this you can see how a background makes a difference...this is all hand penciled, hand inked, down to the last light in the last window of the skyline.

CatwomanJustImagineArt.jpg

Well, here's one to hold you over until the rest of them start popping up:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=568046&GSub=14515

He was offering to do sketches for $200 (8X10) and $400 (11 X 14). I find it funny that the people are badmouthing Adam because of the over-exuberance of two eBay bidders. People can bid whatever they want. Don't blame the artist who's going out of his way to keep prices for his sketches within collector's reach. I saw him either complete or work on 4 other sketches and each one was at least as nice as mine. I seriously doubt anyone paying the money will be disappointed. As for the guy that spent $5K? His motivation is his own. I can tell you he's no stranger to Adam's work so he had a good idea what he was getting for the money. Frankly I find it just as insane to spend $100K for ANY comic art regardless of artist/title/history. To each his own.