• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF - crazy AH! auction

127 posts in this topic

Nelson answered your post better than I could have although I do wonder where all the negativity is coming from regarding the result of an ebay auction for a guaranteed con sketch.

So what if it reached $5K, I think we should feel pleased for the artist who obviously has a large fan base and strong demand for his work. Best,

Royd

As if AH! did anything spectacular? That drawing took him less than an hour :eyeroll:

Its just someone expressing their opinion, positive or negative, as we all do on this message thread.

As if AH! did anything spectacular? That drawing took him less than an hour :eyeroll:

If that was true, AH would be cranking out 8-10 sketches per day or 30 sketches per show. He only gets 2-3 done per day because they takes hours to complete. He only finished about 6-7 total at the last con. It's ok if you don't like his art or think buyers are paying too much, but your criticisms lack any substance to support them.

And if that piece is what you want, that's what you want I guess. But to me 5k is 5k and at 5k I could get a published bronze or 80s cover that I would like more than a con sketch, however nice.

For $5k, you could even find a silver age cover. I'm sure the winner of the auction also knew what else he could buy for $5k, like a new stone patio or a top of the line LED tv. Nobody spends $5k on a con sketch unless they know what they're getting.

I think too many people care about what other people spend on art. In this hobby, some people have the luxury to buy whatever they want merely because they want it, while dismissing what the market value may be. We may criticize them for reckless spending, but they don't take financial advice from people with normal incomes. When $5k means the same as $50, they can get just about anything they want.

If that was true, AH would be cranking out 8-10 sketches per day or 30 sketches per show. He only gets 2-3 done per day because they takes hours to complete. He only finished about 6-7 total at the last con. It's ok if you don't like his art or think buyers are paying too much, but your criticisms lack any substance to support them.

Well, that's because he meets with fans, signs autographs, etc. I still highly doubt the sketch took more than an hour of manual labor. I have no problem with his art... I'm just trying to comprehend how this sketch auction garnered such a ludicrous price.

Well, that's because he meets with fans, signs autographs, etc. I still highly doubt the sketch took more than an hour of manual labor. I have no problem with his art... I'm just trying to comprehend how this sketch auction garnered such a ludicrous price.

Easy, 2 people wanted that spot and put in punishment bids to lock it up. The $5k price was two people's insurance bids. It's dangerous when that happens.

Again, you're asserting what you think are facts with no support. I would recommend going to a con and see him work. His signings are scheduled at specific times while the majority of the con is dedicated to sketching. Part of the reason why he has an assistant is to keep him undisturbed. While many of his peers are impressed by how quickly AH can "sketch" an impressive piece, I think you're exaggerating his speed.

The auction reached that height because two New Yorker with lots of disposable income wanted it. That's it. People have been spending ludicrous amounts on art well before this auction happened. I just think this one auction has gotten way too much attention.

Again, you're asserting what you think are facts with no support. I would recommend going to a con and see him work. His signings are scheduled at specific times while the majority of the con is dedicated to sketching. Part of the reason why he has an assistant is to keep him undisturbed. While many of his peers are impressed by how quickly AH can "sketch" an impressive piece, I think you're exaggerating his speed.

The auction reached that height because two New Yorker with lots of disposable income wanted it. That's it. People have been spending ludicrous amounts on art well before this auction happened. I just think this one auction has gotten way too much attention.

Seems like someone is getting offended. You can defend AH! all you want... I'm just stating what I think and how I feel. I've attended enough conventions to know how long it takes a talented artist to sketch when uninterupted. I have no issues with published OA going for obscene amounts, but a convention sketch??

Seems like someone is getting offended. You can defend AH! all you want... I'm just stating what I think and how I feel. I've attended enough conventions to know how long it takes a talented artist to sketch when uninterupted. I have no issues with published OA going for obscene amounts, but a convention sketch??

Not offended at all. I completely understand if you don't feel a con sketch is worth $5k. I'm just pointing out that you're using false assumptions to support your argument, such as BWS taking commissions, fans can use a dealer pass to avoid the hassle, AH not putting more than an hour of effort, etc. (I didn't know BWS was ever doing commissions, so if I'm wrong there, I apologize.)

If you think it's reasonable to spend an obscene amount on published OA but not on con sketches, then you have a double standard. That's your opinion and I respect it. I personally find people who spend $100k on a published page more ridiculous than those who buy a $5k con sketch.

Not offended at all. I completely understand if you don't feel a con sketch is worth $5k. I'm just pointing out that you're using false assumptions to support your argument, such as BWS taking commissions, fans can use a dealer pass to avoid the hassle, AH not putting more than an hour of effort, etc. (I didn't know BWS was ever doing commissions, so if I'm wrong there, I apologize.)

If you think it's reasonable to spend an obscene amount on published OA but not on con sketches, then you have a double standard. That's your opinion and I respect it. I personally find people who spend $100k on a published page more ridiculous than those who buy a $5k con sketch.

False assumptions? I'm stating things from experience and common sense.

I never said anything about BWS taking commissions. I said "I " could probably get him to do a sketch. BWS doesn't autograph either, but that didn't stop me from setting up a private signing.

I don't have time to go back and forth on this topic. I and many others believe this hammer price is just utterly ridiculous, but so was the sale of the 30 million dollar painting with the fat lady on the couch. Let's just agree to disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

I never said anything about BWS taking commissions. I said "I " could probably get him to do a sketch. BWS doesn't autograph either, but that didn't stop me from setting up a private signing.

I don't have time to go back and forth on this topic. I and many others believe this hammer price is just utterly ridiculous, but so was the sale of the 30 million dollar painting with the fat lady on the couch. Let's just agree to disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

QFT!

Mutant, your comment that Adam Hughes only spent an hour on the drawing so it isn't worth $5000 doesn't make sense.

Adam may have only spent an hour or whatever on the drawing, however he spent a lifetime learning his craft. Does the time he spent learning not accrue in what work he does over time?? Also, does it matter that Adam only got $400 for it and that the balance was someone else's profit??

I looked up your profile and it says you're a jeweler.

Now, let me say here that I do not own, nor do I have any plans to own any Adam Hughes art even though I have sold many millions of dollars of art & other great collectibles and for the most part I think the comics hobby is well over-priced, but I think that jewelry is and has always been far more over-priced than art for many generations.

what makes a piece of clear mineral in a pear shape weighing 1 gram worth $50,000 ?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search

why should a gold bangle at Tiffany's be priced at $6,000??

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=23576724&mcat=148206&cid=288189&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288189-r+101287458+101424823-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

why should a Piaget Limelight "Flower" Ring Watch be list priced at $55,000

http://www.thefinestwatches.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.listProducts/catId/126/Piaget_Limelight.html

I believe that many of us think that these prices are considerably more outrageous than any Adam Hughes drawing (and these are drawings fellers. the pieces I see are completely finished illustrations, not "sketches")

Mutant, your comment that Adam Hughes only spent an hour on the drawing so it isn't worth $5000 doesn't make sense.

Adam may have only spent an hour or whatever on the drawing, however he spent a lifetime learning his craft. Does the time he spent learning not accrue in what work he does over time?? Also, does it matter that Adam only got $400 for it and that the balance was someone else's profit??

I looked up your profile and it says you're a jeweler.

Now, let me say here that I do not own, nor do I have any plans to own any Adam Hughes art even though I have sold many millions of dollars of art & other great collectibles and for the most part I think the comics hobby is well over-priced, but I think that jewelry is and has always been far more over-priced than art for many generations.

what makes a piece of clear mineral in a pear shape weighing 1 gram worth $50,000 ?

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search

why should a gold bangle at Tiffany's be priced at $6,000??

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=23576724&mcat=148206&cid=288189&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288189-r+101287458+101424823-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

why should a Piaget Limelight "Flower" Ring Watch be list priced at $55,000

http://www.thefinestwatches.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.listProducts/catId/126/Piaget_Limelight.html

I believe that many of us think that these prices are considerably more outrageous than any Adam Hughes drawing (and these are drawings fellers. the pieces I see are completely finished illustrations, not "sketches")

Just expressing how I feel. Your point on AH taking a lifetime to master his art is a valid one, but it still won't change how I feel. I guess a lot of things in collecting do not make sense, but I have the right to post my thoughts and feelings on a public messageboard, whether negative or positive.

On Jewelry values, there are just way too many things I'd like to write and my post might be too biased so let's just keep that out of the discussion.

Just because someone feels like spending $5000.00 on a sketch by AH does not mean anything to its true value, I would bet if the winner put that up on ebay he wouldn't even get 1/5 of the price he paid. People can spend all they want on whatever they want but when it comes down to crunch time and then they have to sell, you can pretty much say it will be worthless to a majority of people, that is why i do not collect sketches, i find them worthless.

Raul Novo

Just because someone feels like spending $5000.00 on a sketch by AH does not mean anything to its true value, I would bet if the winner put that up on ebay he wouldn't even get 1/5 of the price he paid. People can spend all they want on whatever they want but when it comes down to crunch time and then they have to sell, you can pretty much say it will be worthless to a majority of people, that is why i do not collect sketches, i find them worthless.

Raul Novo

If this were a fixed price auction or a buy it now at $5k I might, maybe, possibly, perchance agree with you.

However, the only indicator of what this sketch, this particular sketch, is worth is what the bidders in the auction determined it was worth. That is not what it will sell for tomorrow, that is not what it will sell for in 10 years. Right here, right now, it was worth $5k to at least one buyer and without other buyers to bid up to the same area it would not have sold for that much.

You may be right, when the seller goes to sell it, if he sells it, at some later date it may not sell for the same amount. That is then, this is now. Being that each piece of art is unique we are going to make our heads explode trying to divine "True Value" when each one is worth something different in the eye of the beholder.

It doesn't really matter is 99.999% of the people in the world think a piece of art is worthless is 1 or 2 people think it's worth a million.

Anyhooo, there hasn't been an Adam Hughes copic marker, color tipped, convention piece of a purty lady that has sold for less than $1000 in the last couple years. The only things that has sold for less are the monochrome, less detailed pieces. So if you think this is going to go for less than 1/5th of the auction price you might be mistaken.

There are plenty of pieces by extremely famous artists that I feel are worthless to me, but I know enough about the art world to know that it is obviously worth it to someone. Just because I would not pay it doesn't mean there aren't going to be folks lined up around the block with cash in hand.

Raul Novo

If this were a fixed price auction or a buy it now at $5k I might, maybe, possibly, perchance agree with you.

However, the only indicator of what this sketch, this particular sketch, is worth is what the bidders in the auction determined it was worth. That is not what it will sell for tomorrow, that is not what it will sell for in 10 years. Right here, right now, it was worth $5k to at least one buyer and without other buyers to bid up to the same area it would not have sold for that much.

You may be right, when the seller goes to sell it, if he sells it, at some later date it may not sell for the same amount. That is then, this is now. Being that each piece of art is unique we are going to make our heads explode trying to divine "True Value" when each one is worth something different in the eye of the beholder.

It doesn't really matter is 99.999% of the people in the world think a piece of art is worthless is 1 or 2 people think it's worth a million.

Anyhooo, there hasn't been an Adam Hughes copic marker, color tipped, convention piece of a purty lady that has sold for less than $1000 in the last couple years. The only things that has sold for less are the monochrome, less detailed pieces. So if you think this is going to go for less than 1/5th of the auction price you might be mistaken.

There are plenty of pieces by extremely famous artists that I feel are worthless to me, but I know enough about the art world to know that it is obviously worth it to someone. Just because I would not pay it doesn't mean there aren't going to be folks lined up around the block with cash in hand.

When someone throws down $5,000 for a con sketch while knowing the recent similar auctions went for half of that, he's pretty aware that they won't get their money back. When the person asks for a lower tier character that isn't very popular, he knows he's stuck with the piece. And I highly doubt the buyer will get into crunch time soon if he's wildly spending that kind of money during a down economy.

Although, I will say that I never understood why other people would spend $5k to $10k for a commission and then try to sell it a few months later for the same or higher price. Unless it was a rare commission by someone like Steranko, high end commissions will almost always resell at loss.

I actually don't think this sketch has a solid market value TODAY at all. THIS particular sketch ended up costing the buyer $5K, but that is not what the buyer paid for. The buyer paid for the opportunity to purchase a sketch. Who knows, the buyer may have gotten the sketch and not thought it was worth 5K at all (I have NO idea). Until the sketch is completed and THEN sold, I'm not sure we can pin a market value on it... but I would hazard a guess of 1-2K... but that's just guessing. Why bother guessing? Because guessing is fun...

Just expressing how I feel. Your point on AH taking a lifetime to master his art is a valid one, but it still won't change how I feel. I guess a lot of things in collecting do not make sense, but I have the right to post my thoughts and feelings on a public messageboard, whether negative or positive.

On Jewelry values, there are just way too many things I'd like to write and my post might be too biased so let's just keep that out of the discussion.

no one says you don't have the right to say what you say, but at the same time, if you are going to post - you must have the expectation that other people will debate or dispute your comments. Myself I think your comment was shallow and it is easy for me to make comparisons to the business you are in for perspective.

However I will say that running from the jewelry comment is far shallower than your perspective on art values..

people can spend what they want, when they want, on anything they want to. That is a simple fact. So be it an Adam Hughes drawing, an Action Comics #1, or a Cartier watch - each person who spends their money spends it as they wish, regardless of how any other individual (except maybe their wives) feel about it. I most certainly do and I'm certain that you do as well.

At the same time, it behooves anyone to have an objective and open mind when examining any single issue so they can relate to what that other person is doing.

Look at it this way: a single mother with 3 kids making $15,000 a year thinks anyone who spends $5000 on a watch, a diamond ring, an Adam Hughes drawing, a copy of Spider-Man #50 or a movie poster for Forbidden Planet is absolutely bonkers. So by her perspective, we're all totally insane