• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF - crazy AH! auction

127 posts in this topic

I started a companion thread to this thread.

People keep calling Adam's convention drawings "sketches"

I say they are completed drawings

go to the thread and register your opinions and tell me why you think what you think

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3542636#Post3542636

This is getting ridiculous. I admit this sketch shouldn't be valued at $5K. Saying the guy paid $5K for this sketch is incorrect. The guy paid $5K for the right to bypass the other 25 or so people in line and get a guaranteed OPPORTUNITY to ask for whatever he wanted. The guy decided he wanted this character and that's what he got. On it's own this piece would likely not sell for more than $1500. The guy paid to be treated special. Something with no intrinsic value and the guy decided he was willing to assign a value of $5K to that special treatment. It was his (and the underbidder's) valuation of that special treatment that pushed up the price of the auction. Who knows why he went so high, I didn't get to ask him. What motivates someone to spend tens of thousands on a Warhol? The prestige? The fact you can consider yourself part of a small club? The attention being the focus of all these conversations brings you from your friends?

I'm just saying you shouldn't act like someone is stating this particular piece is worth $5K. The guy didn't buy this piece, he bought an opportunity to be treated differently and request whatever he wanted. This piece is merely the end result.

Totally agree Ruben, however, it appears that some can't get their heads around that point. :)

And, while I have no issue with people expressing their opinions on the price of this piece, here and elsewhere, it seems as if a few people are almost blaming the artist or reacting negatively to the auction result *scratches head* Best,

Royd

This is getting ridiculous. I admit this sketch shouldn't be valued at $5K. Saying the guy paid $5K for this sketch is incorrect. The guy paid $5K for the right to bypass the other 25 or so people in line and get a guaranteed OPPORTUNITY to ask for whatever he wanted. The guy decided he wanted this character and that's what he got. On it's own this piece would likely not sell for more than $1500. The guy paid to be treated special. Something with no intrinsic value and the guy decided he was willing to assign a value of $5K to that special treatment. It was his (and the underbidder's) valuation of that special treatment that pushed up the price of the auction. Who knows why he went so high, I didn't get to ask him. What motivates someone to spend tens of thousands on a Warhol? The prestige? The fact you can consider yourself part of a small club? The attention being the focus of all these conversations brings you from your friends?

I'm just saying you shouldn't act like someone is stating this particular piece is worth $5K. The guy didn't buy this piece, he bought an opportunity to be treated differently and request whatever he wanted. This piece is merely the end result.

Just expressing how I feel. Your point on AH taking a lifetime to master his art is a valid one, but it still won't change how I feel. I guess a lot of things in collecting do not make sense, but I have the right to post my thoughts and feelings on a public messageboard, whether negative or positive.

On Jewelry values, there are just way too many things I'd like to write and my post might be too biased so let's just keep that out of the discussion.

no one says you don't have the right to say what you say, but at the same time, if you are going to post - you must have the expectation that other people will debate or dispute your comments. Myself I think your comment was shallow and it is easy for me to make comparisons to the business you are in for perspective.

However I will say that running from the jewelry comment is far shallower than your perspective on art values..

people can spend what they want, when they want, on anything they want to. That is a simple fact. So be it an Adam Hughes drawing, an Action Comics #1, or a Cartier watch - each person who spends their money spends it as they wish, regardless of how any other individual (except maybe their wives) feel about it. I most certainly do and I'm certain that you do as well.

At the same time, it behooves anyone to have an objective and open mind when examining any single issue so they can relate to what that other person is doing.

Look at it this way: a single mother with 3 kids making $15,000 a year thinks anyone who spends $5000 on a watch, a diamond ring, an Adam Hughes drawing, a copy of Spider-Man #50 or a movie poster for Forbidden Planet is absolutely bonkers. So by her perspective, we're all totally insane

It's not a fair comparison. Apples and Oranges. I just don't have the desire to write 5 paragraphs teaching and explaining why jewelry and watches are priced as such and why people spend massive amounts on it. Even jewelry and watches are two totally different animals. Not saying I agree with the pricing on everything, but there's a reason why a Patek Philippe is 30K. The pricing is somewhat justifiable.

You're right, people can spend their money as they see fit. I'm not arguing that, just trying to somehow justify in my mind why someone would pay 5K for a convention sketch from specifically AH!; but like I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and two crazy fanatics is all it takes.

If you want some lessons on Jewelry, you can pm me.... otherwise I prefer to keep my profession and hobby seperate.

Just expressing how I feel. Your point on AH taking a lifetime to master his art is a valid one, but it still won't change how I feel. I guess a lot of things in collecting do not make sense, but I have the right to post my thoughts and feelings on a public messageboard, whether negative or positive.

On Jewelry values, there are just way too many things I'd like to write and my post might be too biased so let's just keep that out of the discussion.

no one says you don't have the right to say what you say, but at the same time, if you are going to post - you must have the expectation that other people will debate or dispute your comments. Myself I think your comment was shallow and it is easy for me to make comparisons to the business you are in for perspective.

However I will say that running from the jewelry comment is far shallower than your perspective on art values..

people can spend what they want, when they want, on anything they want to. That is a simple fact. So be it an Adam Hughes drawing, an Action Comics #1, or a Cartier watch - each person who spends their money spends it as they wish, regardless of how any other individual (except maybe their wives) feel about it. I most certainly do and I'm certain that you do as well.

At the same time, it behooves anyone to have an objective and open mind when examining any single issue so they can relate to what that other person is doing.

Look at it this way: a single mother with 3 kids making $15,000 a year thinks anyone who spends $5000 on a watch, a diamond ring, an Adam Hughes drawing, a copy of Spider-Man #50 or a movie poster for Forbidden Planet is absolutely bonkers. So by her perspective, we're all totally insane

It's not a fair comparison. Apples and Oranges. I just don't have the desire to write 5 paragraphs teaching and explaining why jewelry and watches are priced as such and why people spend massive amounts on it. Even jewelry and watches are two totally different animals. Not saying I agree with the pricing on everything, but there's a reason why a Patek Philippe is 30K. The pricing is somewhat justifiable.

You're right, people can spend their money as they see fit. I'm not arguing that, just trying to somehow justify in my mind why someone would pay 5K for a convention sketch from specifically AH!; but like I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and two crazy fanatics is all it takes.

If you want some lessons on Jewelry, you can pm me.... otherwise I prefer to keep my profession and hobby seperate.

You just wrote three paragraphs ;)

In all seriousness, its just a matter of taste. I wouldnt pay 5K or even 2K for a BWS piece because I have no attachment to the guy. On the other hand I would pay 5K or 10K for a killer Hughes, Campbell, or Ottley piece because I really enjoy their work, same with McNiven. I like all those artists because I love to draw, and each has a style I really enjoy studying.

:foryou: Moving right along .......

It looks like AH!'s ban on dealers is over as Albert Moy posted his commission on CAF from the same show in NY. He indicates that he left it up to Adam as long as it was a female. AH! did Coraline.

Cheers!

N.

Albert has been collecting Adam's art for years. I don't know what arrangements he made with Adam but I was there all day Friday and Saturday and didn't see him drawing this one. I can also guarantee this isn't something Albert is looking to "flip" which is the objection to the dealers using their credentials to get in line in front of t"true fans".

BTW, going back to the comparison between jewelry and comic art, no African children had their arms cut off in the making of this sketch.

:)

Again, NO big boobs, but far under 5K or the 1K everyone seems to think is the "minimum" for an AH! marker drawing

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adam-Hughes-STEVE-TREVOR-WONDER-WOMAN-toned-drawing_W0QQitemZ220504338181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3357152f05

Have at it... Should be a steal the way folks are talking on this thread...

Again, NO big boobs, but far under 5K or the 1K everyone seems to think is the "minimum" for an AH! marker drawing

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adam-Hughes-STEVE-TREVOR-WONDER-WOMAN-toned-drawing_W0QQitemZ220504338181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3357152f05

Have at it... Should be a steal the way folks are talking on this thread...

This is far far FAR less detailed than the pieces we are talking about.

Did I mention it was far less detailed?

This is not anywhere near the same class as the sketches this thread is talking about.

Best,

C

A good friend of mine (who hasn't touched the hobby in two years) decided to sell his AH! sketch without talking to me first. $400 BIN lasts for about 10 minutes on eBay. doh!

I actually saw that, and seriously thought about it, but decided that the AH! Elektra I already have was nicer and didn't need another one :grin:

CAF link to my AH! Elektra

Malvin

We can debate the pricing issue forever with no resolution, but what I think we can all agree on is that it's a waste to have AH do a commission of a chick who doesn't have giant cans.

Yeah - I'm going to have to argue that one.

http://cafurl.com?i=13378

http://cafurl.com?i=13608

The first one is mine - and it is an awesome con sketch.

The second isn't mine (though I wish it were) and while it's a published cover - I think you can agree that if you could get Adam to do a pen and ink commission, one could be happy without boobs.

Not that I have anything against boobs.

We can debate the pricing issue forever with no resolution, but what I think we can all agree on is that it's a waste to have AH do a commission of a chick who doesn't have giant cans.

The second isn't mine (though I wish it were) and while it's a published cover - I think you can agree that if you could get Adam to do a pen and ink commission, one could be happy without boobs.

Those are very nice commissions, but getting AH to draw a dude is like going into a steakhouse and getting chicken.

getting AH to draw a dude is like going into a steakhouse and getting chicken.

+1

But the Cap piece is very nice.

AH! was made for cheesecake, though. :cloud9:

Those are very nice commissions, but getting AH to draw a dude is like going into a steakhouse and getting chicken.

I agree 100% that not having AH draw a female character is definately not the norm. But whatever floats your boat. In my opinion, nobody draws the ladies like AH!

...and his male Star Wars and Indiana Jones as well as other TV and movie characters are excellent works too!

Bottom line is... pay what you can afford, ask for what you like and hopefully you'll be happy and enjoy it... that's what commissions are all about - - getting something created unique, specific and customized for you personally - - otherwise you might as well go for the known quality perspective of seeking out published artwork.

I don't think I've ever heard a complaint from anyone receiving art directly from Hughes that was disappointed, regardless of price or character.