• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF - crazy AH! auction

127 posts in this topic

I don't really get it either, but that's what taste is all about. Some of the modern "fine" art pieces I've seen go for millions I think are ridiculous. I think this piece is FAR from ridiculous. It's quite awesome actually. I just wouldn't pay $5K for it. I try to think of my favorite artists and whether I would pay 5K to have them sketch anything I wanted (and by sketch, I mean high quality like this one) and I still don't think I would do it. Again though, my favorite artists work in different mediums. I suppose I would pay $5K for Paul Pope to do a 19X24 full detailed Wednesday comics style strip of my choosing. But that would be on massive board and in deep rich ink... This is in marker on a spiral bound sketchbook. Again, I think it is a nice piece and it is great that someone has $5K to throw at a marker sketch...and I think Adam deserves it... I just wouldn't (actually COULDN'T is more appropriate to my financial situation) pay that for it... and I am not sure I ever would. I think I would always find something else for that $5K... but that is why the art world is so interesting. So many different tastes...

When analyzing the value of this piece, bear in mind that the commissioner wasn't buying a $5,000 drawing--rather he/she was bidding for one of Adam's regular con commissions. The extra $4,600 premium (assuming the price for Adam's con drawings is $400) was to guarantee getting a commission.

The piece is at least as nice as any other drawing Adam produced at the con, and there's only so much you can do with Kitty Pryde, who, if memory serves, is in the 13-15 age range.

Well, the AH! piece was advertised as a con piece/sketch not a take-home commission so to be fair, I'd like to see the hypothetical conditions where BWS would create something in the same time frame during con limitations for the same cost. And we'd probably still disagree....... :)

It's still retarded... sorry. I could probably get BWS to do something for me for a lot less and blow this commision out of the water.

The extra $4,600 premium (assuming the price for Adam's con drawings is $400) was to guarantee getting a commission.

What the extra $4600 bought:

Not having to stand outside in the cold for two hours.

Not having to deal with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person security guys changing the direction of the line every 15 minutes.

Not having to run from one end of the con to the other in the hopes of getting in line (even though your legs were numb from the 2 hours in the cold)

Not having to be there for the mostly dead Friday

Not having to check back every hour or so to see if you're the one he decided to do.

I love Adam's work and I was happy to endure all of the above for the sketch I got at $400. If money was plentiful and $5K wasn't as significant to me I might be willing to spend it just to avoid these things.

I'm sure that we all know collectors with deep pockets and I think they'd fall over laughing to be described as "retarded" for having spent $5K on an Adam Hughes con piece. It was obviously worth it to the winning bidder.

The extra $4,600 premium (assuming the price for Adam's con drawings is $400) was to guarantee getting a commission.

Not having to deal with the insufficiently_thoughtful_person security guys changing the direction of the line every 15 minutes.

Not having to run from one end of the con to the other in the hopes of getting in line (even though your legs were numb from the 2 hours in the cold)

Not having to check back every hour or so to see if you're the one he decided to do.

I love Adam's work and I was happy to endure all of the above for the sketch I got at $400. If money was plentiful and $5K wasn't as significant to me I might be willing to spend it just to avoid these things.

I can certainly see that POV and I know what you're saying. And if that piece is what you want, that's what you want I guess. But to me 5k is 5k and at 5k I could get a published bronze or 80s cover that I would like more than a con sketch, however nice.

Well, the AH! piece was advertised as a con piece/sketch not a take-home commission so to be fair, I'd like to see the hypothetical conditions where BWS would create something in the same time frame during con limitations for the same cost. And we'd probably still disagree....... :)

It's still retarded... sorry. I could probably get BWS to do something for me for a lot less and blow this commision out of the water.
As if AH! did anything spectacular? That drawing took him less than an hour :eyeroll:

DEALERS PASS

My first three AH! con sketches were thanks to dealer passes. Too many people with easy access to dealer passes kept winding up with sketches so to spread the wealth now they prefer if you don't have a dealer pass. I've covered almost every art dealer's table for them at one point or another, a dealer pass is a given if I want it. You think I wanted to stand outside? Just playing by the rules is all.

DEALERS PASS

You won't get an AH! sketch if you have a dealer pass.

Malvin

2 passes :gossip:

Have you ever tried getting on his list? It's not getting there early, or getting on the list at all. I have been on almost every list since 2002. I have one sketch.

I had to ask because there are some professional ebay flippers who have thought of every angle, scheme, and means to get an AH sketch. If it were as easy as a dealer pass or two passes.

They hop around the list at random so even if you have 3 passes being #1 on the list won't get you a sketch. That's why sketch auctions go for so much money. People can try for YEARS to get a sketch and never get one.

have you been #1 on his list before? I would think that on average the first person on the list has been picked. I went through hell to be #1 on the list in San Jose and received a sketch, it was my first attempt as well.

Anyone else on here ever been #1 on the list before?

..... That drawing took him less than an hour :eyeroll:

True, but it takes years and years of practice to learn how to refine that natural drawing ability so the convention commission can be produced in less than an hour. Some artists can take 6 months to draw a pin-up and it won't even come close in terms of quality.

hm:whee:

As others have noted, time is money. No different than people paying a premium for concert tickets so they don't have to wait in line only to be shut out. So if you have the disposable income, why not. As long as the buyer is happy, that's all that matters.

:grin:

Cheers!

N.

Nelson answered your post better than I could have although I do wonder where all the negativity is coming from regarding the result of an ebay auction for a guaranteed con sketch.

So what if it reached $5K, I think we should feel pleased for the artist who obviously has a large fan base and strong demand for his work. Best,

Royd

As if AH! did anything spectacular? That drawing took him less than an hour :eyeroll: