• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF - crazy AH! auction

127 posts in this topic

once again Ruben states a grounded and erudite perspective

In general agreement with him on the $100k statement, within some parameters:

there may be some items worth that kind of money, but I'm hard pressed to think of any specifics aside from the WSF #29 cover which is valued as a Frazetta painting regardless of it's origins as a comic original

Very Nice piece Ruben!

Its so much fun to get a AH! piece, glad you were able to come home with one. As for the 5k thing, I think the only reason why people are so shocked to see that is because how little Adam charges for his sketches.

Cant wait to see some more from the con, hope the people who received them have CAF accounts.

I disagree about the connotation of being "just" a good-girl artist. Even if that was Adam's legacy (which I doubt, given his talent, will be all for which he is remembered ), it's a legacy that suited and complimented Vargas, Elvgren, and Stevens pretty well.

Y'know, I wasn't slamming AH for being a good-girl artist. (I love GGA.) I can see that my comments might be taken that way but it wasn't meant that way.

I was trying to say that Hughes is most noted for his good girl comic covers so...if you're willing to pay a premium price to get an Adams illustration (with his GGA illustrations being the most popular)...here were a couple of AH good girl covers for sale at under $4K. Including the one at ALBERT Moy's site.

Wanna bet that the eBay winning bidder gets a Hughes GGA drawing for his money?

this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAM-HUGHES-He-Man-and-SORCERESS-ZOAR-DVD-Art-HUGE_W0QQitemZ320438391190QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9b9dd196

seems like a deal compared to the sketches... If I were a fan I would have hit the BIN in a second...

See, this is why art is one of a kind and subjective. This piece is all finished and polished but doesn't appeal to me at all personally, whereas some of Adams sketches are really beautiful and would be far more desirable (to me), and I don't even collect Hughes sketches.

I agree 100%. This doesn't really appeal to me as well but most of Adams sketches REALLY appeal to me, especially his finishid Copic pieces. Adam is one of my favorite artists out there and still this eBay piece doesn't appeal to me at all, well not for $3500, I would rather pay 5k for a "sketch" and get what I want.

I've been thinking about the price paid for that sketch on eBay and I believe we're looking at it the wrong way. For as long as artists have been creating art there have been people of means that have considered themselves "patrons". Throughout history there have been people who select a specific artist that they like and pay them (some would say overpay) to make them happy, comfortable and productive. I like Adam's work a lot but I can't afford to be that generous. If however I had the means and the disposable income where spending $5K was like spending $500 to me now, I could see myself doing the same thing.

This may be a "hobby" but everyone looks at it as a business. Always analyzing what the "retail price" is and why buy unless it's under retail value or so unique there are no comparable pieces. I'm guilty of that myself. I think if you just look at it as art, it's not that odd.

I agree 100%. This doesn't really appeal to me as well but most of Adams sketches REALLY appeal to me, especially his finishid Copic pieces. Adam is one of my favorite artists out there and still this eBay piece doesn't appeal to me at all, well not for $3500, I would rather pay 5k for a "sketch" and get what I want.

Looking at Ruben's piece and others, I would say that the pieces are not sketches, but drawings - and there is a difference

a sketch is a piece that looks rather rough in content while a drawing has a totally finished quality. Sketches are fast illustrations that lack heavy detail. A drawing is a finished piece of deliberate intention

So when all is said and done, the Adam Hughes drawings that I have seen are every bit as finished as the DVD cover art that Ken Danker is offering in the link above and IF I were to want one, I would prefer the drawings over that finished/published DVD art anyday.

Of course, in the name of full disclosure, I am not interested in either.

Rich

I've been thinking about the price paid for that sketch on eBay and I believe we're looking at it the wrong way. For as long as artists have been creating art there have been people of means that have considered themselves "patrons". Throughout history there have been people who select a specific artist that they like and pay them (some would say overpay) to make them happy, comfortable and productive. I like Adam's work a lot but I can't afford to be that generous. If however I had the means and the disposable income where spending $5K was like spending $500 to me now, I could see myself doing the same thing.

This may be a "hobby" but everyone looks at it as a business. Always analyzing what the "retail price" is and why buy unless it's under retail value or so unique there are no comparable pieces. I'm guilty of that myself. I think if you just look at it as art, it's not that odd.

I really hope that Allison and Adam continue doing these auctions despite the controversy that always surrounds them. It’s like the higher the winning bid is, the more criticism goes their way. For past years and presently, Adam has been offering sketches for prices that are grossly below market value. But for the few times that they have allowed the buyers to compete for pricing, people have accused Adam for being greedy or that Adam didn’t do the piece justice for the winning bid. In addition, the winners are being labeled as idi0ts and such. I think this forum has been largely respectful to both the artist and buyers, but I’ve heard some despicable comments in other places. I am, at least, grateful for the opportunities on ebay to get these guaranteed sketches of any character. I don’t think I’ll ever win but I do watch them.

Like I told someone else, if $5,000 meant the same as $5 to me, I’m only an idi0t if I didn’t spend my money. For most of us, it would be more economical to fly to a different con and win the next sketch for half the price. But who knows what the situation is like for the winner. Perhaps it wasn’t worth saving $2k to spend a weekend at different con. Or perhaps they flew in from overseas and only had one chance to get something in-person. I’m sure whoever placed the $5,000 bid didn’t reasonably expect the auction to reach near that height. But in any case, I personally believe overspending is part of the hobby if you really want something. I’m envious of those who have enough disposable income to not just spend $5,000 for a convention sketch, but north of $10,000 for any art.

That right, Kitty Pride. My bad

$5,000 and they didn't even get full figure? Half of Kitty is behind the wall. ;)

BTW - all six of the sketches Adam did at that show are now up on his DeviantArt site. I think that Kitty is my favorite of the bunch.

:roflmao::whee::roflmao:

$5,000 and they didn't even get full figure? Half of Kitty is behind the wall. ;)

I remember him saying (probably jokingly but only the owner will know for sure) that on the back he was going to draw the back of the wall with the rest of her sticking out. I've actually seen him do that before in a sketchbook I think but with the bleed-through on the paper I don't think he could pull it off on this one.

BTW - all six of the sketches Adam did at that show are now up on his DeviantArt site. I think that Kitty is my favorite of the bunch.

I guess he did 7 total. My piece I think he couldn't get a decent pic of (link in previous post). I sent him a scan through Allison but he might not have gone through the mass of mail one accumulates when away from home.