• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT-Must see Horror Movies

148 posts in this topic

Based on actual events, The Entity is a classic movie, movie scared the Mrs pretty good, we watched it before we got married and till this day, she will not watch it again. The movie is most likely more scarier for women....and rightfully so.

Four that have stuck with me for at least the past 25 years would be:

The Thing (John Carpenter) Did not see this on its first run, but saw it about 1984.

Salem's Lot (Original TV mini-series) Saw this on its original TV run back in '79.

The dead brother floating and scratching outside of the window still gives me the heebie jeebies. EDIT Found a pic on line...why not post it?

Bscap0015le1.jpg

The Changeling (Geoge C. Scott) Very atmospheric and suspenseful. Saw this on its first run at the drive-in...which definitely helped to ingrain it in my horror film psyche.

and a no-brainer, The Shining. I know this would be on alot of lists, but I saw it when it came out in the theaters back in the day...and now own it on Blu-Ray.....and it still creeps me the hell out. Luv it.....nuff said.

and a no-brainer, The Shining. I know this would be on alot of lists, but I saw it when it came out in the theaters back in the day...and now own it on Blu-Ray.....and it still creeps me the hell out. Luv it.....nuff said.

Loved it as well when I saw it...but love it a little less after reading the book. It could have been so much better if they'd emphasized the shining of the Dad...

Silence of the Lambs still ranks as one of the best horror movies I've seen in the last 20 years...and yes I know some don't consider it a horror film...

I've also rewatched Poltergeist recently after many years and was very surprised at what a well made film it was. Definitely much better than I remember in the movie theater...

Jim

The only movie that ever scared me in my entire life was the original Evil Dead (I was 11 or so when I saw it).

Perfect balance of suspense and gore (lots of both actually), great cast. Overall, it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

The only movie that ever scared me in my entire life was the original Evil Dead (I was 11 or so when I saw it).

Perfect balance of suspense and gore (lots of both actually), great cast. Overall, it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

I won't go as far as saying the movie scared me but the scene where the tree raped the girl was repulsive...

Jim

Event Horizon

Uhmm, yeah, uh no. No offense to you personally, but that movie was .

The Exorcist scared the holy out of my as a kid - the Omen was creepy as well.

Scanners had some scenes that were pretty intense - don't know if you can call it a horror film though.

First hour of Jeepers Creepers was very suspenseful - till you saw the "monster" - blech!!! What a let down.

good good:

nightmare on elm street

suspiria

the shining

the excorcist

deliverance

friday the 13th

bad good:

deadly spawn

satan's school for girls

them!

texas chainsaw massacre 2

the blob

guilty pleasures:

house on the edge of the park

zombie holocaust

the beyond

new york ripper

twitch of the death nerve

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was filmed at was is now the La Frontera shopping area here in Round Rock, TX. Here is a link to the story about the house where it was filmed. The spot where the house used to be is about 5 minutes from my office......movie history in my own backyard as it were. I need to compile a list of the movies that were filmed in Austin and the surrounding areas...might be interesting.

http://www.texaschainsawmassacre.net/Sister/index.htm

It is not a horror movie, but it was a fake trailer before a horror movie, Machete is being filmed here right now. I sold some materials to the prop guys about a month ago. When you go see the film once it is in theaters..there should be a scene where a large gas cylinder explodes. That was my material that the Chop Shop guys used to construct the "cylinder"

Dawn Of The Dead (Romero) although the remake was pretty bad azz

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the dinner scene and the acting by Marilyn Burns was horrifying)

Deliverance (I don't like hillbillies because of this)

Halloween 1 & 2

The Changeling (the sceance has always stuck with me)

The Thing (Carpenter)

Return of the Living Dead (The first movie I saw with fast zombies and thruthfully what could be worse)

It is not a horror movie, but it was a fake trailer before a horror movie, Machete is being filmed here right now. I sold some materials to the prop guys about a month ago. When you go see the film once it is in theaters..there should be a scene where a large gas cylinder explodes. That was my material that the Chop Shop guys used to construct the "cylinder"

Machete looks to have a great cast. I'm a huge Rodriguez fan and Deniro alone will have me there opening night.

Return of the Living Dead (The first movie I saw with fast zombies and thruthfully what could be worse)

+1

I just saw Paranormal Activity. I haven't had the heebie jeebies this much since I saw The Exorcist. Poltergeist was also a good scare.

Slasher flicks are more comedy than anything.

Yeah Paranormal Activity was petty good it was just a little dissapointing for me since I saw the trailer that took some of the suspnese away but the powder footprint scene and the girl getting dragged down the hallway were the two scenes that really got to me.