• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your most Prized Silver Age Comic?

146 posts in this topic

fun thread :)

Since I sold my DD 1 (stupid rent checks due...), I've got to go with DD7

7-FN-Thumb.jpg

I traded a pretty nice ASM 129 for this like 6 or 7 years ago (maybe more)... I probably lost out in the deal, monetarily, but DD's my man, so I'm still happy. :)

This is mine. The origin of the character that got me started collecting comics when I was 12. Doubly nice since I got it before the nutty price rise on the issue.

057AV96.jpg

I’ve given this some thought and I’d have to say my most prized SA book is my FF 1 I purchased back in ’71 from a fanzine through the mail…yes, prior to the internet! Oh, yeah, and for 50-cents…seriously!

I know most around the boards think of me as a Spidey freak, and I suppose that is where my primary allegiance lies, but really it’s a virtual dead-heat for me with ASM, FF and JIM/THOR…they’re all so unique and have my 2 favourite artists of all time...

While I’ve sold off most of the 700+ books I collected and schlepped around for the better part of 30+ years, pretty much dormant from the hobby (got back into things in 2001), I still have a few and this is one of them. I was ultimately bitten by the HG bug, and then the CGC bug (but pretty much only as I’ve largely purchased on-line and not in-hand), and that is now what I pursue. But even if I was lucky enough to score a HG FF1, I will NEVER part with this book…it will always be a part of my DNA link back to my earliest collecting days when I was just an innocent guy who loved comics and felt the world held endless possibilities...

Those possibilities have abated a bit, and perhaps that includes an FF 1 CGC 9.0, but this book always reminds me of my pure love for the books, the art, the stories and the realm…peace!

FANTASTICFOUR1VG-qOW-1.jpg

Sweet words and sweet post!!! B

Awesome.

Great story and purchase! Did you pay it with two quarters or one quarter/two dimes/nickel?

:roflmao:

HA! I followed up with that answer...taped 2 quarters to a 3x5 card...sent it off to a perfect stranger who came through for me which I've long appreciated... :headbang:

So many nice books and stories in this thread...unlike GA, I do have a clear-cut #1 book in my SA collection.

(Several) years ago I pulled the trigger on a raw Hulk 1 from a seller/dealer in Canada that I had not done business with previously (major_comics), but who I had just met/talked to briefly at Heroes Con. After sending him the funds in US MO's via snail-mail, I eagerly await the book.

Now, I've found shipping letters and packages to/from Canada take 7-10 days, +/ - two weeks, but still I'm a little concerned a few weeks later as I hadn't heard anything. Then one morning I'm pulling out of the driveway on my way to work...and what's that...is there something on my porch (it's raining, so I can't really see all that well)...let's take a closer look...(get out of the car and run through the rain)...hey, it's a small manila bubble envelope from Canada!! I'm freakin' - the envelope is wet, no one had to sign for it, and it ain't much bigger than than the book it's supposed to be holding!

Heart pounding, I take it inside, open it up, and miraculously find that the flimsy cardboard sandwich inside is fine, and no water damage!! I was simply floored that the thing hadn't gotten destroyed, and the book itself was as advertised.

:applause:

How the heck did water not seep into a manilla envelope? ???

I think the plastic bubble layer served as a barrier...the envelope wasn't dripping wet, but all things considered it was a miracle the book arrived intact. I sometimes just shake my head when I receive improperly package books and wonder what the seller/shipper was thinking when they sent them!?!? :frustrated:

WOW! Great story (the ending part that is... :insane: ) and GREAT book! Very nice copy! :headbang:

"Just called. The only graders notes were, and I quote, "books has lots of crinkles"

???lol

Granted, I have not called in quite some time for graders notes. WTF!?!? :news:

My Wife could be a grader there now - if that is how they are grading books nowadays. :insane:

Is that some new marketing ploy to send them over to Nelson? (shrug)

Far too pretty of a book! RESUB!!! ^^

I traded a pretty nice ASM 129 for this like 6 or 7 years ago (maybe more)... I probably lost out in the deal, monetarily, but DD's my man, so I'm still happy. :)

That is a very nice looking #7!!!

Personally, I think you made the right move by trading the ASM #129. :applause:

Oh, and Octopus/Squid covers....cant get enough of those either!

SD_01.jpg

I just realized upon a longer inspection this time around looking through books in this thread....

What a GREAT looking copy that is! (worship)(worship)(worship)

Love this cover and #16's too.

My late Father was a big fan of the Sea Devils just nice seeing such a HG raw #1. (thumbs u