• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your most Prized Silver Age Comic?

146 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

What is your most Prized Silver Age Comic? It could be because of value, first appearance, artwork, storyline, sentimental reasons, etc... If there is a story behind it, please share. This is my prized comic. I've been searching for a nice Showcase 22 for years and was lucky to find one a few years ago. I never thought it would be so scarce in high grade.

SHOWCASE85RR.jpg

Hi Everyone,

What is your most Prized Comic? It could be because of value, first appearance, artwork, storyline, sentimental reasons, etc... If there is a story behind it, please share. This is my prized comic. I've been searching for a nice Showcase 22 for years and was lucky to find one a few years ago. I never thought it would be so scarce in high grade.

SHOWCASE85RR.jpg

(worship) (worship) I'm not worthy

It would have to be this one. Every since I started collecting I've had a great appreciation for the X-Men.

When I found out my dad had some old books I was :o . Turns out he had 87-139, I know Bronze Age. I had started w/ 281 so in the 90's I connected the two collections. Time passes and last year when my dad decided to sell the collection I mad sure I kept the X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man books for my collection. So trying to complete 1-400 X-Men and 1-500 Spider-man.

Thought I'd have to wait a long time to get one this nice but I turned up and I jumped. Nice from an OO collection too. So until I get a Spidey 1 this is it.

If I'd kept my dad's books I'd have alot of cool ones to claim. :sorry:

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

87675.jpg.43e723e5892237deb1977fc2717964d4.jpg

It would have to be this one. Every since I started collecting I've had a great appreciation for the X-Men.

When I found out my dad had some old books I was :o . Turns out he had 87-139, I know Bronze Age. I had started w/ 281 so in the 90's I connected the two collections. Time passes and last year when my dad decided to sell the collection I mad sure I kept the X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man books for my collection. So trying to complete 1-400 X-Men and 1-500 Spider-man.

Thought I'd have to wait a long time to get one this nice but I turned up and I jumped. Nice from an OO collection too. So until I get a Spidey 1 this is it.

If I'd kept my dad's books I'd have alot of cool ones to claim. :sorry:

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

Very nice all around X-men 1 copy and also with off-white to whites pages. Well done and great story! (thumbs u

7868-1.jpg

:luhv:

This book doesn't have a great story behind it, just one that I got a great deal on before the book went through the roof price wise and I'm just ecstatic to have it. Except for the little bit of chipping, it's absolutely flawless. :)

7868-1.jpg

:luhv:

This book doesn't have a great story behind it, just one that I got a great deal on before the book went through the roof price wise and I'm just ecstatic to have it. Except for the little bit of chipping, it's absolutely flawless. :)

Good move on purchasing it before the price jump. ^^

Those are some beautiful books and even better stories! I love hearing what makes some people's funny books their grails. A lot of instances prices are not usually the main factor for grail. Which I feel, sheds positive light on our hobby that it is more of the story behind the book rather than overall face value.

Well here is my story. This will more than likely be long winded.....so either pour a stiff drink or some coffee!

I'm a HUGE Hawkeye fan. As you all know TOS #57 is the grail for him. Well I had a 9.2 ow/w copy for what seemed like forever waiting to upgrade. :frustrated:

(As I state in my bio, I only collect 9.4s {I only have two that are 9.2s currently....still waiting for the Mrs. to give the OK for upgrades on those two! :wishluck:} ow/w pages pre 1980. I set my OCD bar when I started collecting at ow/w, nothing against ows or creams - just my decision and I stick with it. I have even been known to pass up plain whites for ow/ws. Yeah I got issues! :insane: )

Anyways, Doug at Pedigree has helped me out with so many books, especially page quality wise. (worship) And he truly did his utmost for a #57 for me. So Doug and I had been looking for a couple years for a 9.4 ow/w to no avail. Quite a few ows showed face but none with any better pq. Mind you, I had ever want list filled out with every comic dealer I knew too!

Well one day on a whim, I was looking at EBAY and I about shiat myself! Low and behold here was a guy with 100% feedback selling a TOS #57 CGC 9.4 OW/W......Curator Pedigree! I immediately, called Doug and he too was shocked! He had no problem spotting me for my 9.2 copy and wished me luck. He like me was a little nervous about it being the Curator and on ebay with all the wonderful that can go on bidding wise.

Luckily seller was a helleva guy, and he would not let deadbeat/thrill bidders do any damage and any noticeable shilling happen under his watch. Also, he and Doug had made some transactions in the past and were both fond of each other - so this was a plus.

So I bid like no tomorrow. And when the hammer finally fell it definitely went for way more than I thought. But when I saw, "You won this item." my Wife said, "I screamed like a little school girl"! My face was melting like yesteryears! I could not believe I was finally the proud owner of one of my most important grails! :whee: I only ended up winning it by less than a $100 to boot!

I called Doug and he shared in my elation. When that book arrived at my door, as I stated in other threads about when grails arrive - that book was upon my pillow that night for a bit while my Wife was calling friends and family saying how big of a dork I really was! (she was just jealous :gossip:)

To this day when I go into my den, I give a little smile at my baby on the shelf every day and I still get a chill every now and than thinking of how it all went down. For this, my #57 is my most memorable and appreciated book I own.

Sorry for the dissertation! Thanks to whoever actually read all this! (thumbs u

Some of my Baby's Adoption Papers

Those are some beautiful books and even better stories! I love hearing what makes some people's funny books their grails. A lot of instances prices are not usually the main factor for grail. Which I feel, sheds positive light on our hobby that it is more of the story behind the book rather than overall face value.

Well here is my story. This will more than likely be long winded.....so either pour a stiff drink or some coffee!

I'm a HUGE Hawkeye fan. As you all know TOS #57 is the grail for him. Well I had a 9.2 ow/w copy for what seemed like forever waiting to upgrade. :frustrated:

(As I state in my bio, I only collect 9.4s {I only have two that are 9.2s currently....still waiting for the Mrs. to give the OK for upgrades on those two! :wishluck:} ow/w pages pre 1980. I set my OCD bar when I started collecting at ow/w, nothing against ows or creams - just my decision and I stick with it. I have even been known to pass up plain whites for ow/ws. Yeah I got issues! :insane: )

Anyways, Doug at Pedigree has helped me out with so many books, especially page quality wise. (worship) And he truly did his utmost for a #57 for me. So Doug and I had been looking for a couple years for a 9.4 ow/w to no avail. Quite a few ows showed face but none with any better pq. Mind you, I had ever want list filled out with every comic dealer I knew too!

Well one day on a whim, I was looking at EBAY and I about shiat myself! Low and behold here was a guy with 100% feedback selling a TOS #57 CGC 9.4 OW/W......Curator Pedigree! I immediately, called Doug and he too was shocked! He had no problem spotting me for my 9.2 copy and wished me luck. He like me was a little nervous about it being the Curator and on ebay with all the wonderful that can go on bidding wise.

Luckily seller was a helleva guy, and he would not let deadbeat/thrill bidders do any damage and any noticeable shilling happen under his watch. Also, he and Doug had made some transactions in the past and were both fond of each other - so this was a plus.

So I bid like no tomorrow. And when the hammer finally fell it definitely went for way more than I thought. But when I saw, "You won this item." my Wife said, "I screamed like a little school girl"! My face was melting like yesteryears! I could not believe I was finally the proud owner of one of my most important grails! :whee: I only ended up winning it by less than a $100 to boot!

I called Doug and he shared in my elation. When that book arrived at my door, as I stated in other threads about when grails arrive - that book was upon my pillow that night for a bit while my Wife was calling friends and family saying how big of a dork I really was! (she was just jealous :gossip:)

To this day when I go into my den, I give a little smile at my baby on the shelf every day and I still get a chill every now and than thinking of how it all went down. For this, my #57 is my most memorable and appreciated book I own.

Sorry for the dissertation! Thanks to whoever actually read all this! (thumbs u

Some of my Baby's Adoption Papers

Wow...that is and awesome copy with awesome pages. I love your story! :whee:

My most prized SA book is this copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 I bought the book 3 years ago . The book has slight amatuer restoration the top and right sides have been micro trimmed and it has two pen tip color touchs on the upper left hand corner. I took the book to Pittsburgh this year and had it signed by Stan Lee now the book is a Signature Series SA Grade

Sorry for the crappy photo I wil;l try and replace it with another better one soon

I guess the next favoriteSA book would be Amazing Spider-Man #1 I have a CGC Universial label 5.0 on it.

87706.jpg.b9489e2baca26079b56c8cec21f79463.jpg

87707.jpg.d89f9eedc15f56dd08ef04692b01ba9a.jpg

87708.jpg.3b1f0e8d491c4513e336fdaedd6f28f7.jpg

87896.jpg.78fb0e0a68c0c537a92e7b876cca6af4.jpg

My most prized book is probably the one in the worst condition most loved condition that I keep in my collection.

I prized it when I traded for my first copy when I was 12 in 1970 and prized it 5 years ago when I picked up this copy upon my return to collecting.

(Someday soon a much better copy can take its place. :wishluck:)

ASM42FC.jpg

And, of course, the last page is why it's such a great book. Imagine reading this when the Spider-Man mythos was still new, fresh and evolving.

ASM42MJ.jpg

My most prized SA book is this copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 I bought the book 3 years ago . The book has slight amatuer restoration the top and right sides have been micro trimmed and it has two pen tip color touchs on the upper left hand corner. I took the book to Pittsburgh this year and had it signed by Stan Lee now the book is a Signature Series SA Grade

Sorry for the crappy photo I wil;l try and replace it with another better one soon

I guess the next favoriteSA book would be Amazing Spider-Man #1 I have a CGC Universial label 5.0 on it.

This is a great start! We all have something that we prized in our collections. The Silver Age is one the great era which we either grew up with, favorite character debut, stories, artwork, etc.. Nonetheless, this is a great way to share it with others. ;)

For books like that ASM 1 I try to get provenance, but I failed miserably. It was on consignment at Metro and when I bought it I asked if I could know the history, but the previous owner didn't know :doh: , so I'm left with a mystery.