• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your most Prized Silver Age Comic?

146 posts in this topic

Not my most valuable in monetary terms but definately in terms of attachment to the hobby. Picked up for six cents at a second hand bookstore and I've never been the same.

Now that's provenance! It's a documented fact that comics that are loved this much age at a measurably slower rate. Your FF 49 should live forever!

Ah.....it's a #50 :pullhair:

Even I knew it was #50 lol

I’ve given this some thought and I’d have to say my most prized SA book is my FF 1 I purchased back in ’71 from a fanzine through the mail…yes, prior to the internet! Oh, yeah, and for 50-cents…seriously!

I know most around the boards think of me as a Spidey freak, and I suppose that is where my primary allegiance lies, but really it’s a virtual dead-heat for me with ASM, FF and JIM/THOR…they’re all so unique and have my 2 favourite artists of all time...

While I’ve sold off most of the 700+ books I collected and schlepped around for the better part of 30+ years, pretty much dormant from the hobby (got back into things in 2001), I still have a few and this is one of them. I was ultimately bitten by the HG bug, and then the CGC bug (but pretty much only as I’ve largely purchased on-line and not in-hand), and that is now what I pursue. But even if I was lucky enough to score a HG FF1, I will NEVER part with this book…it will always be a part of my DNA link back to my earliest collecting days when I was just an innocent guy who loved comics and felt the world held endless possibilities...

Those possibilities have abated a bit, and perhaps that includes an FF 1 CGC 9.0, but this book always reminds me of my pure love for the books, the art, the stories and the realm…peace!

Nice story Tom. .50 cents for your prized possession. :cloud9:

I remember I taped two quarters in between two 3x5 index cards and put it in an evelope and mailed it off...figured if the book never arrived I'd be out 50-cents, no big deal...when the book came in the mail even then I was pretty astounded... :o:insane:

Was beside myself for days...understand back then keys, even though cheap by today's standards, just weren't readily available and I was still quite young, sophomore in high school, so it wasn't like I even had gas for the car, let alone a car... lol

Not my most valuable in monetary terms but definately in terms of attachment to the hobby. Picked up for six cents at a second hand bookstore and I've never been the same.

Now that's provenance! It's a documented fact that comics that are loved this much age at a measurably slower rate. Your FF 49 should live forever!

Ah.....it's a #50 :pullhair:

Even I knew it was #50 lol

48-50 are so cool to read.

I’ve given this some thought and I’d have to say my most prized SA book is my FF 1 I purchased back in ’71 from a fanzine through the mail…yes, prior to the internet! Oh, yeah, and for 50-cents…seriously!

I know most around the boards think of me as a Spidey freak, and I suppose that is where my primary allegiance lies, but really it’s a virtual dead-heat for me with ASM, FF and JIM/THOR…they’re all so unique and have my 2 favourite artists of all time...

While I’ve sold off most of the 700+ books I collected and schlepped around for the better part of 30+ years, pretty much dormant from the hobby (got back into things in 2001), I still have a few and this is one of them. I was ultimately bitten by the HG bug, and then the CGC bug (but pretty much only as I’ve largely purchased on-line and not in-hand), and that is now what I pursue. But even if I was lucky enough to score a HG FF1, I will NEVER part with this book…it will always be a part of my DNA link back to my earliest collecting days when I was just an innocent guy who loved comics and felt the world held endless possibilities...

Those possibilities have abated a bit, and perhaps that includes an FF 1 CGC 9.0, but this book always reminds me of my pure love for the books, the art, the stories and the realm…peace!

I remember I taped two quarters in between two 3x5 index cards and put it in an evelope and mailed it off...figured if the book never arrived I'd be out 50-cents, no big deal...when the book came in the mail even then I was pretty astounded... :o:insane:

Was beside myself for days...understand back then keys, even though cheap by today's standards, just weren't readily available and I was still quite young, sophomore in high school, so it wasn't like I even had gas for the car, let alone a car... lol

That is a great story.

Collecting comics was a lot different back then. I loved getting dealer's catalogs in the mail, picking out the books I wanted and 2 or 3 alternatives in case my wants were already sold, and sending off a money order or cheque. Waiting 3 or 4 weeks for my order was agony but it was like Christmas when it arrived.

Finding rare books was a lot tougher back then; I looked for 10 years for a FF2 locally and finally found one with the top third of the cover missing. NM was 2 X guide and the seller was asking NM for it. When I asked him why so much :cry: he asked me how many copies had I ever seen. I didn't say a word and gave him NM Overstreet, 50 bux. I still have it and after 30 years it isn't worth much more. To be honest the memories are priceless.

That is a great story.

Collecting comics was a lot different back then. I loved getting dealer's catalogs in the mail, picking out the books I wanted and 2 or 3 alternatives in case my wants were already sold, and sending off a money order or cheque. Waiting 3 or 4 weeks for my order was agony but it was like Christmas when it arrived.

Finding rare books was a lot tougher back then; I looked for 10 years for a FF2 locally and finally found one with the top third of the cover missing. NM was 2 X guide and the seller was asking NM for it. When I asked him why so much :cry: he asked me how many copies had I ever seen. I didn't say a word and gave him NM Overstreet, 50 bux. I still have it and after 30 years it isn't worth much more. To be honest the memories are priceless.

Great stories!

I wasn't adventureous or sophisticated enough to venture into the mail order world when I was a kid, so I was limited to the very finite stock of my LCS...and the one weekend a year when a comic convention came to town. Talk about anticipation! I literally saved money all year, and couldn't sleep the night before.

In the early days I'd go to the convention without Overstreet, so I was at the mercy of whatever dealers could get out of me. I'd go with a list of things I wanted, and when I found them I'd buy them, no haggling, and very little concern about condition (beggers couldn't be choosers, and even at a convention selection was very limited).

Over the course of my teen years I managed to put together complete runs of Aquaman (my childhood favorite character), Action 320-450, and FF 30-the current issue. I remember the suspense of looking through boxes searching for books to plug holes, and the thrill of locating an elusive issue! It was so much more of a challenge than today, when all I have to due is pull of the internet and do a quick search to locate most books.

Ah, the memories!

What a story! And that is the feeling that I too have only achieved through books and funny books! Very nice book!

That is a great story.

Sucker. I would have let you have it for only $45. :baiting:

That is a great story.

Sucker. I would have let you have it for only $45. :baiting:

Yer all heart you rotter.

That's why I put the Sugar and Spike up, I feel the same way as Atlasfan :grin:

Okay....but what if we started a thread that was titled "What is your most prized Superman-related comic"? :taptaptap:

Okay....but what if we started a thread that was titled "What is your most prized Superman-related comic"? :taptaptap:

smoke would probably come out of my ears...

Just one? I would probably have to pull an Atlasfan on you guys...how about one from each title? :grin:

act252cgc.jpg

adv300.jpg

jo01.jpg

ll1.jpg

sm100.jpg

and while it's not technically a silverage:

sb10cgc.jpg

wf91.jpg

smoke would probably come out of my ears...

Just one? I would probably have to pull an Atlasfan on you guys...how about one from each title? :grin:

That's more like it! :applause:

I started reading comics around 1970, started collecting around 1975. I had a pretty impressive collection for a kid and my favorite was my ToS 39 that I was a fool to sell cheaply (hey I was 13 or so). Sold the rest of my collection to pay for art school so that was ok.

As yet another nostalgic returnee to comic collecting as an adult (I'll be 45 soon) I decided to pretty much limit myself to the top 10 Silver Age Marvels, most of which I couldn't afford back in the day. First I had to have another ToS 39, and got this nice one you see here from Timmay (at a price I was very happy with :grin: ). I have yet to acquire the other nine, but I'm always looking (and kicking myself for not grabbing an AF15 before they exploded!).

web.jpg

Here are mine:

Semi-recent pick up from the boards actually

spidey14.jpg

and my all-time favorite (I've told the story on here plenty):

FF57.jpg

Love both those books but you're gonna need to straighten that FF 57 out in it's bag before you show it again... :makepoint:

I started reading comics around 1970, started collecting around 1975. I had a pretty impressive collection for a kid and my favorite was my ToS 39 that I was a fool to sell cheaply (hey I was 13 or so). Sold the rest of my collection to pay for art school so that was ok.

As yet another nostalgic returnee to comic collecting as an adult (I'll be 45 soon) I decided to pretty much limit myself to the top 10 Silver Age Marvels, most of which I couldn't afford back in the day. First I had to have another ToS 39, and got this nice one you see here from Timmay (at a price I was very happy with :grin: ). I have yet to acquire the other nine, but I'm always looking (and kicking myself for not grabbing an AF15 before they exploded! ).

web.jpg

ditto...had a chance to pick up this 9.0 restored about 3 or 4 years ago for $2-grand... :tonofbricks: kicking myself is too light a punishment... :frustrated:

AMAZINGFANTASY15A90.jpg