• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone wrote a book, or been involved in writing one? Submitted one?

75 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any published work? I have lots of ideas, rough drafts, etc and I was wondering how to process it all. I mean, how do you go about pitching a book/idea to a company? and all that jazz.

For example, I have a fantastic Star Trek story that was written as a mini-novel that would translate very well to comic form (actually it would be a lot better). How would I approach something like that?

thanks for any input.

Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone here has any published work? I have lots of ideas, rough drafts, etc and I was wondering how to process it all. I mean, how do you go about pitching a book/idea to a company? and all that jazz.

For example, I have a fantastic Star Trek story that was written as a mini-novel that would translate very well to comic form (actually it would be a lot better). How would I approach something like that?

thanks for any input.

I would get away from thinking about pitching an idea and just write the darn thing. While pitches might be welcomed from established writers, you need to blow them away with the finished product.

Look for Jay,Junkenstien99,

he is in the process..

super nice fella to boot.

He's got a great one coming out. And there are a few boardies working with him on a collaboration at the moment.

I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65. The story of Tony Stark's old golden Iron Man suit being stolen. He battles the guy wearing it in the climax of the story. I only got a thanks from Stan Lee and a "No-prize" for it. But it was a thrill to see my story drawn out and see print.

Over the years I've written a lot of articles that have gotten printed. Today I'm working on a "work procedure" instructions book for a company. Kind of boring, but as always looking forward to seeing it in print.

My daughter is a designer for a magazine. She sets up how the magazine pages will look. She gets to travel a lot for the company. This year we were lucky enough to hook up with her at Lake Tahoe. I was on vacation there and she had a assignment there at the same time. I love seeing her work. She always shows me the cool pages she's working on before they go to print. She does that just to hear my opinion.

I suggest if you write, let someone else read it over for feedback. Rearranging and re-writing will lead to a well written story.

I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65. The story of Tony Stark's old golden Iron Man suit being stolen. He battles the guy wearing it in the climax of the story. I only got a thanks from Stan Lee and a "No-prize" for it. But it was a thrill to see my story drawn out and see print.

Over the years I've written a lot of articles that have gotten printed. Today I'm working on a "work procedure" instructions book for a company. Kind of boring, but as always looking forward to seeing it in print.

My daughter is a designer for a magazine. She sets up how the magazine pages will look. She gets to travel a lot for the company. This year we were lucky enough to hook up with her at Lake Tahoe. I was on vacation there and she had a assignment there at the same time. I love seeing her work. She always shows me the cool pages she's working on before they go to print. She does that just to hear my opinion.

I suggest if you write, let someone else read it over for feedback. Rearranging and re-writing will lead to a well written story.

Wow, that's a pretty classic story. Good job!

I've published some short fiction, have a middle reader manuscript done, and am in the middle of a YA novel. I'm also a Clarion West grad. (2001, if you're interested.)

As far as writing a first book, or anything as an unpublished writer, goes, finish and polish the manuscript. Starting is easy, finishing is hard.

Stay away from licensed properties like Star Trek or Star Wars. They use established writers for those novels. Your novel is what we would call "fan fiction." Doing it is a great way to improve as a writer, but not a way to get published. Go with your original ideas.

For short stories, they get submitted to an editor (usually for a magazine or website) in their entirety for consideration. For novels, you submit a 10-15 page synopsis to an editor or agent. If they like it, they'll request the entire manuscript. I don't know about the comic biz, but I understand breaking in via independents is the way to go. Marvel and DC want to see an established track record.

You may want to find a local writers group to help polish your skills. Be careful though because a writers group can be detrimental as well. It's only as good as its best member.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

I've had a book published

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Toys-Canadian-Star-Connection/dp/1896522386

and done a chapter for another book on the same subject, but both times I was approached by the publisher first to do the writing.

I would suggest you write first and then shop it around and see what the feedback is.

Jim

and done a chapter for another book on the same subject, but both times I was approached by the publisher first to do the writing.

I would suggest you write first and then shop it around and see what the feedback is.

Jim

I'm fascinated. What makes them uniquely Canadian? Did the Leia figure have a bottle of maple syrup instead of a blaster? Did Yoda wear a toque? Was Luke going into town for some Tim Horton's instead of power converters. I have to know!!!

I've been an editor on a few books, and I've got a story published in an anthology or two. I'm actually a professional editor, so I know a thing or two about the business.

Honestly, the key for new writers is to just keep writing. Sign up for contests. Show your work around. Go to cons. Meet artists if you're working on comics. Self-publish if you need to, just to get something in the hands of editors. If you're a good writer and you know some people who can help, you'll be "discovered."

Established properties like Star Trek, well, those are pretty much for established writers. Once in a blue moon an unknown might land a gig writing an owned property, but those are rare, and in most instances would fall into the "it's who you know" category.

Either way, just keep writing and telling the stories you like telling.

Jim

I'm fascinated. What makes them uniquely Canadian? Did the Leia figure have a bottle of maple syrup instead of a blaster? Did Yoda wear a toque? Was Luke going into town for some Tim Horton's instead of power converters. I have to know!!!

Packaging, variations, toys that were never released by Kenner in the United States etc etc. Before comics, I was very passionate about vintage toys, and then I think the prequels destroyed my love for the SW universe and realized that even despite my best efforts, I could NEVER be 6 through 11 again. So I collect because it is what I do but I no longer collect for nostalgia, I collect history.

Jim

I've been an editor on a few books, and I've got a story published in an anthology or two. I'm actually a professional editor, so I know a thing or two about the business.

Honestly, the key for new writers is to just keep writing. Sign up for contests. Show your work around. Go to cons. Meet artists if you're working on comics. Self-publish if you need to, just to get something in the hands of editors. If you're a good writer and you know some people who can help, you'll be "discovered."

Established properties like Star Trek, well, those are pretty much for established writers. Once in a blue moon an unknown might land a gig writing an owned property, but those are rare, and in most instances would fall into the "it's who you know" category.

Listen to the man.. He knows of what he speaks! Very intelligent and friendly

[and realized that even despite my best efforts, I could NEVER be 6 through 11 again. So I collect because it is what I do but I no longer collect for nostalgia, I collect history.

Jim

That is very well put, and something that I think all true collectors have to go through. You really can't go home again. It also explains your passion for the historical aspects of pedigrees. If I could convince you that these are pieces of art as well as pieces of history, maybe you would hate signatures series less. :foryou:

[and realized that even despite my best efforts, I could NEVER be 6 through 11 again. So I collect because it is what I do but I no longer collect for nostalgia, I collect history.

Jim

That is very well put, and something that I think all true collectors have to go through. You really can't go home again. It also explains your passion for the historical aspects of pedigrees. If I could convince you that these are pieces of art as well as pieces of history, maybe you would hate signatures series less. :foryou:

Sean: I don't hate SS, hell some of my best friends are freaking witnessess, but I do know that I do give SS guys a hard time, especially on the pedigrees. Of course I haven't been as adamant since our last encounter :)

Jim

Listen to the man.. He knows of what he speaks! Very intelligent and friendly

You know, I don't think I ever announced that you'll be in my next book. I wonder if now's a good time to tell everyone. hm