• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fight Against Crime #20 Decapitation cover 1954

82 posts in this topic

I bought the 5.5 and sold my 5.0 on comiclink for 2k. :)

WOW! your old 5.0 on comiclink was my old raw copy. sold it for $750 last year :sorry:

can't complain as I bought it for $250 from my LCS. :)

always wondered what it would have graded out as, I had it pegged as a 4.5. nice to see what CGC gave it.

my old scan:

Fightagainstcrime20.jpg

Hi.

I'm new and back into comics. Don't own a single one but plans are afoot to put that right soon, when I hope to post some books here as I buy them.

CGC is new on me, but I understand the premise after having read much about grading etc, and why 3rd party opinion is accepted.

Can anyone explain to me why this book should'nt be a 2.5?, as someone is hinting above. I thought their word was grading law.

I hope to buy some CGC books initially, but now I am puzzled. Do I accept their word as definitive on the grade of a book, or not?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. Tough Crowd :blush:

PPS. Happy New Year 2010 to all. Guess maybe I will see you guys when I get some books of my own. :popcorn:

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

This forum is a great place to learn about how CGC grades. linky

Grading is subjective and it's important to understand what CGC does and does not do. There services are very helpful but that doesn't mean that they are perfect or that everyone agrees with them.

CGCLabel.jpg

Hi.

I'm new and back into comics. Don't own a single one but plans are afoot to put that right soon, when I hope to post some books here as I buy them.

CGC is new on me, but I understand the premise after having read much about grading etc, and why 3rd party opinion is accepted.

Can anyone explain to me why this book should'nt be a 2.5?, as someone is hinting above. I thought their word was grading law.

I hope to buy some CGC books initially, but now I am puzzled. Do I accept their word as definitive on the grade of a book, or not?

Can anyone help please?

PPS. Happy New Year 2010 to all. Guess maybe I will see you guys when I get some books of my own. :popcorn:

For better or for worse, CGC is the closest thing to an accepted standard in the marketplace. We all don't always agree with their grade, but it certainly holds more weight than anything else. For someone in your situation, buying CGC-graded books should be your focus until you learn (a) how to grade and (b) how to accurately detect restoration. This will keep you from getting burned on more pricey buys.

A secondary goal should be to try and gain a sense of what defects (of those generally allowed in a grade) are more or less desirable. What you're seeing above with the CGC 2.5 book is an example of that. The book may arguably be a 2.5, but not all 2.5s are equal, and one with a rat-chewed corner is probably less desirable than one without.

If you head over to the grading & restoration forum, the thread stickied at the top will give you at least a primer on restoration.

Good luck!

GEEZ.....check out the BIN price of only 69.95 for (what was described as) a G to G+ copy of this issue.

Here is the link, which will eventually die.... ebay link

Here is a picture from the auction.....

fight_against_crime20.jpg

I'll bet someone couldn't believe it when they ran into this on ebay.

If it were me, I couldn't have hit the Buy-it-Now fast enough.

It looks like the highest graded copy of this issue is a CGC 7.5, which sold for almost $4200 on Heritage (in August, 2009)

Does anyone remember from an ebay auction (could have been a couple years or more ago) a CGC DOUBLE COVER of this issue ??

I vividly remember it sold for less than $1000.

Anyway, I've always thought this cover was the epitome of the CRIME and HORROR genre.

Some lucky person is a member of the club for only $75.00 including shipping.

I'm surprised that Geoffrey priced this book so low. He has been in the comic biz a long time. Wonder if one of his employees listed the book.

Hi.

Can anyone help please?

For better or for worse, CGC is the closest thing to an accepted standard in the marketplace. We all don't always agree with their grade, but it certainly holds more weight than anything else. For someone in your situation, buying CGC-graded books should be your focus until you learn (a) how to grade and (b) how to accurately detect restoration. This will keep you from getting burned on more pricey buys.

A secondary goal should be to try and gain a sense of what defects (of those generally allowed in a grade) are more or less desirable. What you're seeing above with the CGC 2.5 book is an example of that. The book may arguably be a 2.5, but not all 2.5s are equal, and one with a rat-chewed corner is probably less desirable than one without.

If you head over to the grading & restoration forum, the thread stickied at the top will give you at least a primer on restoration.

Good luck!

Thank you both.

Thats very helpful :idea: