• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why does walking dead#1 go for a good amount of coin?

147 posts in this topic

The YANKEES and the Dallas COWBOYS are true America!!!

That is, to HATE and cheer AGAINST them is the very spirt of America!! (thumbs u

I'm from the Philly area so after the past couple weeks we're a little angry at those two teams.

do superheroes have an expiration date?

Not yet....about 60+ years and counting.... :applause:

and yes, to hate the Yankees? is to hate America, apple pie, and muscle cars ...I mean, after all, they ARE the most famous, and historical, of ALL sports franchises ...and I meant ALL....GLOBAL....EVER!

Do you all hate the stars and stripes as well? hm

What the hell does that even mean, "most historical"....?

Really? seriously? you're that intellectually challenged? that you cannot ascertain the purpose, and fact, of that word in this context? :makepoint:

I am sure Amadeus can handle this one on his own.

However, if I had to guess what he meant, he is most likely referring to your complete and total misuse of "Historic" vs. "Historical".

And, as an aside, you probably should not be calling others intellectual talents into question while simultaneously failing in use, capitalization, and punctuation.

More simply put, in this context, I can ascertain that you are Godzilla and the English language is Tokyo. (thumbs u

Oh lord, doh! the DICKTION police have arrived. You BOTH do realize the words "historic" and "historical" are essentially interchangeable ...right? :makepoint: They mean exactly the same, except the TINY nuance of specificity...(historic= past historical= past or present)

I didn't realize my diction and grammar were being graded, and that my lack of proper capitalization, and punctuation, are signs of ??? my idiocy? lol

Oh, boy, watch out for the sharp tools in here, folks...

So you call Amadeus out as being intellectually challenged, and then get offended when someone points out how you might be lacking in the same area?

At least you've mastered the definition of "double standard".

If you think they mean the exact same thing, then I weep for your teachers, they have failed you. The context you used "historical" in meant that they existed in and are a part of the past. Historical imputes nothing to the magnitude of accomplishment. If you would have said "historic" (which is what you meant to say given the context) then you would have meant they have accomplished something that has never been done before.

Personally, I don't care which one you used. People seem to type with their feet in this place. It's par for the course. However, you came after Amadeus, essentially calling out his intelligence on word usage while at the same time butchering the language.

I can tolerate idiocy all day long. I am not so good at tolerating absurd double standards.

And for the record I'd rather be a sharp tool than an obtuse one.

Go Yankees!!!

yankee_fan-739206.jpg

I question why I bother this silly act, but I guess it's my alpha nature. :hi:

I'm gonna call WRONG on you here, sorry. The word "Historical" is often used to describe anything past, or present, regardless of it's IMPORTANCE. This is the crux of MY usage of the word; do you see it yet? before I break it down further? no? o.k

My point was to provide a statement of fact, DESPITE the interest, or opinions of those that disagreed. Hence, the Yankees and their past, or present, success is irrelevant to the subject, or context. So, just because YOU or any other Yankee hater doesn't agree with my greater points, they (Yankees) are historical non the less (thumbs u

Oh and BTW...just for the record, I never WROTE "most historical"

don't know why you gave parenthetical relation to my word? just sayin'

:)

Oh, do you really want me to school you on syntax...?

Really?

sure hm

Simply put:

Your sentence, aside from the pretext, was "They ARE the most famous, and historical, of ALL sports franchises."

Perhaps you aren't aware of the function of the modifying adverb "most", when used as you have used it, to form a superlative phrase of the same force and effect as words ending in "-est." When such a modifying adverb is used to describe multiple attributes, it is not necessary to repeat the adverb, but instead it is ruled that the adverb modifies any adjective that follows in the same sentence in reference to the object, using words or phrases delineated by a comma.

For example:

"This lawyer is the most diligent, trustworthy, and respected lawyer in the entire city."

In this example, "diligent", "trustworthy" and "respected" are adjectives that are modified by the adverb "most." It is not necessary to state it as follows:

"This lawyer is the most diligent, most trustworthy, and most respected lawyer in the entire city"

While grammatically correct, the modification rule allows the avoidance of such redundancy. When the modification rule is used, however, it by necessity must apply to every noun/adjective/adverb it modifies, or the sentence will be grammatically incorrect, and comprehension will be lost.

If you state, as you have, that the adverb "most" modifies ONLY the word "famous", and if that phrase were taken out, you would be left with the following:

"They ARE the historical of ALL sports franchises."

Which, of course, does not make sense. And we know from the other rules of grammar that for a complex sentence with multiple subjects to work, each noun/subject combination must follow syntax rules independently of the other(s).

Setting aside the incorrect usage of the word "most" with the word "historical" (the correct phrase would be "most historic"), you can clearly see the error in your sentence.

(How'd I do, English Comp & Grammar teachers...? ;) )

So I ask one more time...what does the phrase "most historical" mean...?

Really?

sure hm

Simply put:

Your sentence, aside from the pretext, was "They ARE the most famous, and historical, of ALL sports franchises."

Perhaps you aren't aware of the function of the modifying adverb "most", when used as you have used it, to form a superlative phrase of the same force and effect as words ending in "-est." When such a modifying adverb is used to describe multiple attributes, it is not necessary to repeat the adverb, but instead it is ruled that the adverb modifies any adjective that follows in the same sentence in reference to the object, using words or phrases delineated by a comma.

For example:

"This lawyer is the most diligent, trustworthy, and respected lawyer in the entire city."

In this example, "diligent", "trustworthy" and "respected" are adjectives that are modified by the adverb "most." It is not necessary to state it as follows:

"This lawyer is the most diligent, most trustworthy, and most respected lawyer in the entire city"

While grammatically correct, the modification rule allows the avoidance of such redundancy. When the modification rule is used, however, it by necessity must apply to every noun/adjective/adverb it modifies, or the sentence will be grammatically incorrect, and comprehension will be lost.

If you state, as you have, that the adverb "most" modifies ONLY the word "famous", and if that phrase were taken out, you would be left with the following:

Which, of course, does not make sense. And we know from the other rules of grammar that for a complex sentence with multiple subjects to work, each noun/subject combination must follow syntax rules independently of the other(s).

Setting aside the incorrect usage of the word "most" with the word "historical" (the correct phrase would be "most historic"), you can clearly see the error in your sentence.

Now this is utterly ridiculard doh!

dude, are you insane? I think every, single, member on this board ( you included) FAILS repeatedly, if THIS standard of english competence is expected in each post.

You need MORE hobbies :gossip:

The YANKEES and the Dallas COWBOYS are true America!!!

That is, to HATE and cheer AGAINST them is the very spirt of America!! (thumbs u

I'm from the Philly area so after the past couple weeks we're a little angry at those two teams.

Yeah, my hubby's family is from the Philly area. The funny thing is I'm a 6th generation Texas myself - my parents are season ticket holders to the Cowboys. Marriage has long since converted me, especially as far as the Eagles go. I love McNabb! Makes for some lively discussions when the family is all together. Sunday was depressing.

i'm not sure what this thread is about anymore......

(thumbs u sorry bout' that

I would be the fault of such lost, topic foundation :tonofbricks:

no problem...we have 2 walking dead threads anyway. congrats on the WS championship

Really?

sure hm

Simply put:

For example:

Please, please, please, can somebody find me the Captain America "Oh Snap" GIF?

:roflmao:

Now this is utterly ridiculard doh!

dude, are you insane? I think every, single, member on this board ( you included) FAILS repeatedly, if THIS standard of english competence is expected in each post.

You need MORE hobbies :gossip:

I asked you if you wanted to be schooled on your syntax, you said "sure", and now you're whining because I actually did it?

lol lol lol lol lol

I don't "FAIL", much less repeatedly, using THIS standard of English (note the correct capitalization) competence, and neither do many, many other members.

Why not?

Because English is not a difficult language, and some of us actually went to school and learned it.

You were wrong, "Question", and you're not man enough to own it. You used "most historical", which is wrong, you tried to say "most" only applied to "famous", which is wrong, and you tried to say "the historical", which is wrong.

And even what you TRIED to say, "the most historic", meaning they have "the most history", is wrong, too!

You are one vibrating duochepump, with variable pressure/speed gauges and a rotating tip, of FAIL, my friend.

Just because you butcher the language on a regular basis doesn't mean everyone else has as little regard for it as you do, and all the whining and deflecting you can do won't change that simple fact.

As far as "needing more hobbies", schooling arrogant little boys and watching them dig their own graves of petulance is more than enough fun for me, thanks. I won't further embarrass you by correcting this latest travesty of a post by you.

(thumbs u

Levin would be embarrassed by you.

Really?

sure hm

Simply put:

For example:

Please, please, please, can somebody find me the Captain America "Oh Snap" GIF?

:roflmao:

wonder_woman.jpg

I wouldn't go that far

let`s both revisit that statement after the Walking Dead tv show debuts on AMC next year ;)

let's revisit that statement ten years from now. if the walking dead is still popular, and the tv show had a good run, then maybe....but for now it's just a great comic.

Agreed, Let's revisit that statement 20 years from now and see if Walking Dead has released 4 feature films (like TMNT) or had several television series, or had several toy lines, and is still in print in comics.

I love Walking dead as a comic, and it might make a nice limited series or even a feature film, but it has LOOOOOONG way to go to get to TMNT or Wolverine levels of cultural immersion.

(thumbs u

The problem is you will never truly be able to compare WD with TMNT and Wolverine because WD will never be marketed to kids.

Who's to say that? I've never read WD but go back and read the first few issues of turtles - you wouldn't think it was a kid friendly concept either. A serious take on ninjas who happen to be mutant turtles? WTF? very few people thought that concept would have a long shelf life but sometimes these things just take on a life of their own.

Do I think WD will get that status? no because very few properties do. But its certainly possibly to "kiddify" any concept. They turned four beer drinking, fighting turtles into pizza eating insufficiently_thoughtful_persons riding around in a shell van, and somehow that worked... so let's not rule it out.

Oh lord, doh! the DICKTION police have arrived. You BOTH do realize the words "historic" and "historical" are essentially interchangeable ...right? :makepoint: They mean exactly the same, except the TINY nuance of specificity...(historic= past historical= past or present)

I didn't realize my diction and grammar were being graded, and that my lack of proper capitalization, and punctuation, are signs of ??? my idiocy? lol

Oh, boy, watch out for the sharp tools in here, folks...

This post makes the entire Heavenly Host cry. It's a supercolossal firestorm of FAIL.

It's ok, Question probably thinks "ironical" is a word, too, and I don't doubt he's said "irregardless" a few times.

lol

and yes, to hate the Yankees? I mean, after all, they ARE the most famous, and historical, of ALL sports franchises ...and I meant ALL....GLOBAL....EVER!

What???

You think people from the UK and 95% of Europe would relate more to the New York Yankees than Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid?

:screwy:

Well, no...that wasn't my point, nor intention. What I did WRITE was..the NEW YORK YANKEES are THE most SUCCESSFUL, FAMOUS, and WELL KNOWN, sports franchise on Earth! Yes, FAR more than Man U. or any other SOCCER team ;)

Regardless of you hating, never watching, or not giving two es about them, they are what they are, the NEW YORK YANKEES! :headbang:

Man U is consistently at the top of pro sport franchise valuation lists... probably for a reason. Soccer is the biggest sport in the world at the end of the day whether the US believes it or not ;)

So you call Amadeus out as being intellectually challenged, and then get offended when someone points out how you might be lacking in the same area?

The most deliciously ironical part was that I knew exactly what he tried to say (incorrect as that sentiment is), but I was trying to call his attention to the multiple errors which butchered his expression of it.

He clearly wasn't bright enough to pick up on that cue, so he thought I didn't understand what he was TRYING to say, thus questioning my intellect on a matter that was, to him, perfectly clear.

Now THAT'S ironical.

(thumbs u