• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes 2010 June 4-6

755 posts in this topic

Hey... I talked to you a few times at the show! We briefly spoke about hockey at Bedrock's booth and then on Saturday at Brett's Comic Pile. I'm glad you found those DC issues from the ad you were looking for. Good job for a Marvel man! Very nice meeting you!

(thumbs u

I had the best time I ever had at a Heroes con, because I think I found the perfect formula.

Friday I just went on a PR spree talking to folks while strolling around the con

looking for my last few graded ASM's. I didn't see any of the caliber that I was looking for

but it's o.k. I planned for that.

We had an awesome afternoon and I didn't even buy one book from the con until almost closing time

at Ricks booth. The Friday night dinner couldn't have gone any more smooth. we had double the

attendees in comparison to last year and the food, drinks and conversation were excellent.

The after party at Tyler's was the highlight of the evening where we had ice cold brews and chilled Grey Goose beverages galore.

The comics in that room are what dreams are made of.

Bill asked me why I was snickering when Rick was flipping through his Batman 1.

It was because for a brief moment I didn't see a veteran of Golden Age books, I saw a guy

that loved every aspect of what he was holding all the way down the scent and the "sponginess"

quality of the paper and binding. Great stuff!

On Sat I woke up late (because of the late night) but still made it back to the con to pick up

books based on my back-up plan.

I had the idea of just just picking up childhood favorites and a new idea of trying to find

a set of different books from a DC BW ad.

and I did it...

here's the ad..

99647.jpg

and here is my set I got on Sat...

99665.jpg

The Sat night Art auction was a blast, I think they set an attendance record because it was packed...

There was a pop-art Christopher Reeve painting that I had my eye on but I lost the bid war.

I still had fun though.

Later that night I had Neil (lookwhoitis) and Dave (orangenemsis) with Anmie

drop by for beers and con wrap up.

Anyway I left way early Sun morning back to Durham and as I was driving back

I started to have Heroes withdrawals...

I can wait until next year!

:cloud9:

Good seeing all the board members this past weekend

Think it was a fine time had by all

Saw too many to try and remember all the names..........

Thanks to Nerf and Cimm for the purchases

Little did I know that I've known Capt. Comics for 20 years (shows how long it's been since I really attended a con)... Was absolutely great to speak to ya again, Rick, and talk about D.W.! Miss that man, I do.

Little did I know that I've known Capt. Comics for 20 years (shows how long it's been since I really attended a con)... Was absolutely great to speak to ya again, Rick, and talk about D.W.! Miss that man, I do.

Good seeing you again too, I miss D.W. also

Hey... I talked to you a few times at the show! We briefly spoke about hockey at Bedrock's booth and then on Saturday at Brett's Comic Pile. I'm glad you found those DC issues from the ad you were looking for. Good job for a Marvel man! Very nice meeting you!

(thumbs u

Cool man I didn't know you were a member here. Small world.

I try to be a straight up joe to no matter who I meet. It is good to meet you.

Maybe next year I can get you to join us for the forum dinner.

_wally

Had an excellent time at Heroes this year! :headbang:

Great to hang with everyone again. Met a few new boardies. Hey Dover and Andre :hi: Sorry if I missed anyone.

Wally thanks for setting up the dinner. It was awesome. Thanks again for the drink at the art auction. I owe you one. (thumbs u

Bill thanks for the pass and sorry I had to leave early on Sunday. I hope your beautiful fiancee is not too mad.

Good times, good food/drinks, and some great books!!!

Overall wonderful weekend!!! Ready for next year! :banana:

wait a minute, I thought heroes was this weekend :insane:

:news:

you are going to sell an Action # 1 this weekend.

:gossip:

that would mean I have a 2nd copy... woo hooo :headbang:

Wow! What a great weekend!

It kicked of with meeting Mike Mignola and Brian Bolland on Friday. A great forum dinner - thanks guys, it was a pleasure to spend some time with you all.

On Saturday, I roamed the floor (mostly Artist Alley) racking up the killer sketches for my book. I love meeting the guys just getting started out as well as the A-list pros. Everyone is usually friendly and accomodating.

I picked up some OA from Bolland and Kevin Maguire to name a few (lots of small press and webcomic originals, too).

Also, on Saturday, I had a short conversation with Chuck Rozanski. I know that some people may not think that he's a nice guy, but to me he's a demigod. He was gracious and patient with my fanboy stuttering.

The art auction was a blast x10. Adam Hughes is a crazy and the MC, Scott Adsit from "30 Rock" was hilarious.

The beginning tribute to comics veteran Irwin Hasen was some of the best entertainment of the show. It would be a crime if there isn't some quality video of it out there.

I did some partying in the city until the wee hours and then it was back to bed.

On Sunday I hung out with as many people as there was time before getting kicked out. Thankfully, I was able to catch up to Karl Story, who has inked many of the modern artists and has so many pages at these cons, that he redefines the "fire sale."

I wish that I could name all of the great folks that I spoke to, but there were too many.

After the show wrapped, Shelton had the artists, volunteers and various hangers-on back to the store for an after party. There was barbeque and beer and great times. I ate a delicious meal (I hadn't eaten all day) and conversed with some of my favorite Indie artists.

Then I met Jim Scancarelli, the artist on Gasoline Alley. He was a funny, opinionated and all-around nice guy. We talked about politics, art, comics, women, old-time radio, the list goes on - for hours. For a while, we were chillin' with Jim Amash, one of the premier Archie artists.

Then at around midnight, when the crowd really thinned - one of the few remaining guests was Mark Texeira. He was standing at the counter in the comic shop drunk, bare-footed and having a grand time. He was doing free sketches for all takers. He was taking any requests and I got a kick-butt portrait of Buffy/SMG!

Then at around 1 AM the remaining crowd went to a bar and I 'paid' Tex for the sketch with two rounds of Jameson. With that, the convention was over for me, as I caught a cab to the Amtrak station. I pulled into Atlanta at around 8:15 AM and real life began again.

Thanks to all, but mostly especially Shelton - A true patron saint of the hobby!

A good friend .......Bob Bailey took a bunch of pictures at the con

Don't think he will mind me posting them here

HeroesCon2010pic9.jpg

At the Art Auction Saturday night

The one the only Loverboy aka IRWIN HASEN golden age Green Lantern, Wild Cat, Wonder Woman, Flash and Dondi artist! Still doing great at 92 with not one, two, three, but four Zatannas!

HeroesCon2010pic8.jpg

JIM AMASH The witty inker and interviewer superman! Look for the new book by Jim and Eric Nolen-Weathington: Carmine Infantino: Penciler, Publisher & Provocature coming soon to a book store near you. Another great Twomorrows publication!