• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 years on eBay.

130 posts in this topic

I went from Pokemon cards (bought and sold for my kid's collections which I still have) to Barbies, to comics (and jewelry too).

yeah, it's kind of weird but eBay did help me get back into the hobby

in a round about way...

When I started it was for vintage Star Wars figures that were still on the card.

I got kind of burnt out on collecting them and they took a lot of space.

I flipped out a good bit of the high dollar ones I had and went back to comics

after a few year hiatus from the 90's slopfest...

Anyway eBay helped me pay off some debts here an there by being a seller

of kids toys.

I had to stop though because it just wasn't worth my time.

Next month marks 12 years. I was out of the hobby at the time. I was filling the gaps in my trading card collection.

I remember receiving a few issues of Ebay magazine. It listed the most searched items, unique items, "what's hot, what's not", etc.

When CGC first started, you could search and pull up all of the books on a few pages.

December 1998, also the same year we got our first desktop computer, and I had heard about this ebay. So, I join and I'm sitting there looking at the blank search function, then I think about my unsuccesful run to the LCS's the other week.....type in "Werewolf by Night".....and much to my suprise...there it was several times over, and I've used Ebay to build and sell 5 runs of WBN and 6 runs of TOD. It has definently changed, most not for the better, but it's still less overhead than owning an LCS.

. eBay's target share price of $18 was all but ignored as the price went to $53.50 on the first day of trading.

:acclaim: Down payment on my house. Thanks Meg!

Oct 98

Listened to my grandmother, piggybacked her investment, paid off

the first mortgage !! [cheap house].

Today is my 10th anniversary on eBay! :whee:

Confetti_canon.gif

Of course, eBay has changed a lot in 10 years (and not for the better). But it's still where I buy and sell most of my comic books.

Anybody else have a 10 year eBay anniversary this year?

I've been Ebay since Oct 20 1998!!

I used to have heaps of Ebay swag. Until the room where I kept them got flooded and it ruined all of my Ebay Tshirts and stuff. I still have a few hats around here.

The best thing I ever got on Ebay was a ton of good friends and well actually family.

Ebay comics chat peeps are like my family.

12 years and 9 Months as of tomorrow!

My very 1st feedback was from current boardmember "vtcomics", who registered 2 months before me back in November of '96, shortly after Al Gore invented the internet. lol

My current user is Nov-05-97.

My original account was about a year before that, but I changed my email address and made a new account because I didn't realize you could change the email address on your account. :cry:

The big changes off the top of my head:

1. You could leave feedback to anyone for any reason, even if you didn't have a transaction with them.

2. Method of payment was decided by buyer and seller and was always done through snail mail. Checks, money orders, and cash were all valid options. Due to this, there was a lot more correspondence between buyers and sellers.

3. EBay didn't have a photo hosting service, you had to include photos in your auctions through an independent host.

4. All listings were auctions, there were no "Buy It Now" listings or eBay stores.

5. You could use your e-mail address as your eBay ID, and many people did.

6. All bidding activity was visible in every auction, and bidder's IDs were not masked. You could even search by specific user names to see what they were bidding on.

7. The comic book chat board on eBay was vibrant and full of useful information. In fact, back in the early days it was much like the CGC boards are now. It was used to expose fraudulent sellers and auctions, and to discuss every aspect of the hobby.

they seem to have improved on the first 5, especially number 1.