• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best comic book story/story arc you have ever read?

226 posts in this topic

Its been said over and over again, but Frank Miller's Daredevil run, along with "Born Again", to me, was amazing to read.

From a more recent standpoint I thought that Identity Crisis was amazing. Civil War was good as well because I felt pulled into the story because of how it affected the entire marvel universe. It also brought me to a point where I despised Tony Stark, and even now 4 years later I still don't respect him as a character.

As an ASM fan, the one more day storyline was good. As much as I hated it and knew what was coming, the sacrifice MJ made was awesome. Made me and the wife both cry.

Astro City has had a bunch of great, great stories. "The Nearness of You" gets a lot of love, but my faves are "Show 'Em All!" and vol. 1, #1's Samaritan story, which is still the best Superman story I've ever read.

The Galactus Trilogy must have absolutely transfixed its readers in 1966. I still love it.

Frank Miller's 300 and Ronin.

Joe Pi talking thru the door in Top Ten.

Four words; "This Man, This Monster".

In defense of Tony Stark, I offer What If? #3. Of course, it was imaginary...but on the plus side, it also showcases some killer Gil Kane art!

Ok, recently, the first thing that comes to mind is - Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born. Some of the follow ups to that story have been pretty good, but since they lost Jae Lee on pencils, the art has suffered a litte. Not that it's bad, just a different style, and Jae Lee seemed really, really suited for the book. Richard Isanove was still doing colors (last I checked) so at least there's that.

And, Guardians of the Galaxy (the recent run) had some pretty good stories. Very funny!

Marvels Thanos, (from 2002) was also really good.

JMS's Thor run was really good, but that title went to mess once Joe Q and the rest of Marvel decided they could not have ONE book that was'nt tied into the rest of their cluster F Universe of never-ending crosover "events." No Offense Marvel, but the never ending cross-overs get really tired.

Oh, and of course Watchmen - But comparing that to other modern books is like comparing Apples and Oranges. It's in it's own category, imo.

I've now read thru the thread and feel the need to add "The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin". I give this one to people who tell me Kirby couldn't write.

Whats this from?

New Gods #8.

I dont know if it fits here, but since the question is the best comic book story, my all time fav is Akira.

Also, the run in Batman Confidential by Dennis Cowan with the origin of the Joker was quite impressive, the best story arc I read in years

I've now read thru the thread and feel the need to add "The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin". I give this one to people who tell me Kirby couldn't write.

Whats this from?

New Gods #8.

hm I'll have to re-read that one. Previously I'd have pointed to "Glory Boat" (New Gods #6) or "Himon" (Mr. Miracle #9) as Jack's best writing-- even though the latter is a Charles Dickens swipe. ;) "The Pact" is frequently cited as Jack's favorite work. While I love it to death for what it is, that story reads more like a full-length mythology-download than an actual story. But now I'll definitely have to re-visit Turpin.