• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best comic book story/story arc you have ever read?

226 posts in this topic

I'll toss in one I haven't seen listed, and one I've enjoyed re-reading the most:

Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin with Mike Mignola art. It's epic and puts Universe in "DC Universe". A cocky Green Lantern planet killer, Superman (who refuses to kill) reacting to Orion's slaughter of thousands of Hawkmen warriors, a Batman near-death beatdown. Dr. Fate. Etrigan. An on and on...

The Mignola art alone is worth the price of admission. Good stuff, if your a DC fan.

12493_400x600.jpg

I'll have to check it out. (thumbs u

Reading through the thread, it always surprises me when someone complains about the lack of quality in comics. Sure, there is a mountain of drek published, no doubt....but have you ever seen the mountain of drek sitting right now at your local Barnes & Noble? Or playing at your local movie theatre?

There is a very large body, stretching back at least to the 60's, of very high quality material published in comic book form that would appeal to just about anyone.

And that's just as true of the material being published now.

And Born Again is the best in-continuity arc of all time.

Agree 100% on everything mentioned above. (thumbs u

What was the story?Devil in the deep blue sea or something like that?

Hmmm....you know, that sounds familiar....it's the Dolphin story. I won't spoil it, as it's likely a lot haven't read it, and if you don't like Grant Morrison stuff, you may not liek it, but it is the greatest single issue story I have ever read.

Sometimes I'm having a hard time choosing between this one and "The Coyote Gospel" (AM #5), but usually I pick Dolphin. :cloud9:

I'm not a Morrison fan by any means, but I gotta admit the work he did on Animal Man and Doom Patrol is simply phenomenal! :headbang:

I'll toss in one I haven't seen listed, and one I've enjoyed re-reading the most:

Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin with Mike Mignola art. It's epic and puts Universe in "DC Universe". A cocky Green Lantern planet killer, Superman (who refuses to kill) reacting to Orion's slaughter of thousands of Hawkmen warriors, a Batman near-death beatdown. Dr. Fate. Etrigan. An on and on...

The Mignola art alone is worth the price of admission. Good stuff, if your a DC fan.

12493_400x600.jpg

I'll have to check it out. (thumbs u

CO was a good series......but I haven't read it since it was published...so my memory is hazy on it.

I feel the best Fourth World /New Gods type story would be "The Pact" from New Gods 7. Kirby at his finest and most cosmic in my opinion.

Add another vote for Daredevil: Born Again.

However, The Aliens, "The False Men" story arc from Magnus Robot Fighter 4000 A.D. 11-22 has been a favorite for a long time. Is it the greatest? No, but it's a favorite. It reads like an episode of Star Trek TOS.

Quite a few favorites have already been mentioned , (Nexus bowl shaped world. Larry!) so here are few others that I enjoyed when they first hit the stands. Most of these might not hold up to the test of time, (the rose colored glasses of youth and what have you), but I'll always be fond of these stories.

Justice League of America 118-119 "Take Over of the Earth-Masters"

Justice League of America 192-193 Origin of the Red Tornado

Captain America 253-254 The Baron Blood story arc

Doctor Strange 55 "To Have Loved...and Lost"

Marvel Team-Up 41-44 The Cotton Mather time travel arc

I could go on, but the brain pan is rusty, and there's work to be done.

Also a child of the 1980's...

Loved...LOVED the first 30 or so issues of G.I. Joe... :cloud9:

Remember being blown away by Gotham By Gaslight (my first experience of an elseworlds/out of continuity take on a main character)... :o

Kraven's Last Hunt had me on the edge of my seat... :fear:

And remember much laughter coming at the expense of everyone's favorite Mendicant, Groo the Wanderer... lol

Outside my childhood nostalgia zone...I have greatly enjoyed....

Moderns: JSA (the past couple of ywears really) and Blackest Night

Silver: Hands down Amazing Spiderman (enjoy the Green Goblin Crime Master arc best), With a lesser nod to Brave and the Bold for truly wacky stories