• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best comic book story/story arc you have ever read?

226 posts in this topic

A friend and I were talking about the best story/story arc we have ever read. He selected Watchmen and I selected Daredevil Born again. So it got me wondering, whats the best story/story arc you have ever read? hm

I'll toss in one I haven't seen listed, and one I've enjoyed re-reading the most:

Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin with Mike Mignola art. It's epic and puts Universe in "DC Universe". A cocky Green Lantern planet killer, Superman (who refuses to kill) reacting to Orion's slaughter of thousands of Hawkmen warriors, a Batman near-death beatdown. Dr. Fate. Etrigan. An on and on...

The Mignola art alone is worth the price of admission. Good stuff, if your a DC fan.

Also put me down for Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Animal Man, Batman: Year One, Identity Crisis, Daredevil, Solar... :cloud9:

12493_400x600.jpg

Older Stuff:

Avengers Korvac Saga (all time favorite)

New Teen Titans 1-5 (Trigon)

X-Men/Teen Titans One Shot

Dark Knight

Spidey 121-122

Camelot 3000

Death Of Jean Dewolfe

More Recent:

Cap 25

Echo 1-5

Walking Dead Vol. 1

Man this thread made me remember why I love funny books :applause:

A few of my favorites and oft repeated in this thread:

1. X-Men 105 - 139, (This may be more than 1 arc, but I do not remember a run of a title that I literally went to the convenience store waiting for each new issue to hit the spinner rack)

2. Spiderman 121-122 (This was a BIG deal back in the day)

3. Avengers - 167 - 177 (Avengers seem to hit their peak in the Korvac saga)

4. Daredevil 158 - 181? (Miller turned a crappy title that I never read into a must read)

5. Green Lantern: Rebirth (Only Modern that I thought felt like a Bronze comic)

6. Captain America by Brubaker 1 - 30ish (Maybe there is hope for Moderns...)

Reading through the thread, it always surprises me when someone complains about the lack of quality in comics. Sure, there is a mountain of drek published, no doubt....but have you ever seen the mountain of drek sitting right now at your local Barnes & Noble? Or playing at your local movie theatre?

There is a very large body, stretching back at least to the 60's, of very high quality material published in comic book form that would appeal to just about anyone.

And that's just as true of the material being published now.

And Born Again is the best in-continuity arc of all time.

I want to answer before I'm tainted by reading all the other answers.

Watchmen came to mind first, but I think The Dark Knight edges it out. I just re-read Watchmen at the beginning of this summer and while it's still good, I think TDK holds up better even with the Reagan-era political references.

TDK still has an emotional punch that Watchmen lacks, possibly because the characters in Watchmen lack the history of Batman.

And some of the lines from TDK......

"There's nothing wrong with you I can't fix with my hands...."

"It took years and cost a fortune to synthesize, fortunately I had both..."

"I modified her after the riots, now the only thing that can come through her skin isn't even from this planet...."

Miller at his absolute peak! Although his second run on Daredevil was amazing too, I think Mazzuchelli's art really added a lot to that story.

I'm sticking with The Dark Knight, but I'm going to have to go look at my bookshelf to be sure I'm not missing any.

There are many comics that I can read and re-read but absolutely nothing hits me like Miller's Dark Knight.

Arguably one of the greatest comic stories ever written and drawn.

A masterpiece.

R.

What was the story?Devil in the deep blue sea or something like that?

Hmmm....you know, that sounds familiar....it's the Dolphin story. I won't spoil it, as it's likely a lot haven't read it, and if you don't like Grant Morrison stuff, you may not liek it, but it is the greatest single issue story I have ever read.