• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with an Ebay buyer - advice

107 posts in this topic

Hi, on one of my recent auctions the winner refuses to accept packages the way I clearly state in my shipping details that I send them which is via FedEx. He says if I send it to him like that he'll refuse it and will only accept USPS Priority shipping with insurance. I explained to him that I ship via FedEx because it's convenient for me to do so through my job plus we'll get a tracking number and it's insured and that shipping via the USPS will be a hassle as I'll have to make a special trip to the post office. I've already told him ( since he hasn't paid yet ) that I would rather just offer it to the next highest bidder. Do I have any recourse with Ebay to deal with someone like this? Or will I just have to eat the inevitible negative feedback, which will be my first.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can understand that, but I don't like the idea that this guy can be an individual_without_enough_empathy to me via email and just gets what he wants. Especially when I clearly stated the shipping terms on the auction page, but he decided to bid regardless. I just find it really annoying and I don't think I should have to give in to this guy.

I can understand that, but I don't like the idea that this guy can be an individual_without_enough_empathy to me via email and just gets what he wants. Especially when I clearly stated the shipping terms on the auction page, but he decided to bid regardless. I just find it really annoying and I don't think I should have to give in to this guy.

Suck it up and welcome to customer service 2c

I feel your pain.Ebay buyers are a pain.With that being said he has all the power.I would ship it the wants to avoid the neg.It sucks being a ebay seller at times.

Is there any price difference between FedEx and USPS? Just wondering if that's his angle.

I don't know if that's his angle, but there is a price difference, but it's not that great of one which is what I don't understand. In his initial response to my invoice he also stated that any package shipped in an envelope or bubble mailer will be returned to the sender unopened and that he only accepts it the way he wants it.

Hi, on one of my recent auctions the winner refuses to accept packages the way I clearly state in my shipping details that I send them which is via FedEx. He says if I send it to him like that he'll refuse it and will only accept USPS Priority shipping with insurance. I explained to him that I ship via FedEx because it's convenient for me to do so through my job plus we'll get a tracking number and it's insured and that shipping via the USPS will be a hassle as I'll have to make a special trip to the post office. I've already told him ( since he hasn't paid yet ) that I would rather just offer it to the next highest bidder. Do I have any recourse with Ebay to deal with someone like this? Or will I just have to eat the inevitible negative feedback, which will be my first.

Is he outside of the USA?

I work in IT so I know what customer service is all about :) That being said, I would not expect to see a sign on a store that said " no shoes, no shirt, no service" and pull of my shirt, walk in and expect service JUST because the customer is always right.

He's based in the USA

He's based in the USA

My only thought is he may have bought from outside USA buyers who used FedEx and he paid a huge brokers fee and he is afraid it might happen again.

Is there any price difference between FedEx and USPS? Just wondering if that's his angle.

I don't know if that's his angle, but there is a price difference, but it's not that great of one which is what I don't understand. In his initial response to my invoice he also stated that any package shipped in an envelope or bubble mailer will be returned to the sender unopened and that he only accepts it the way he wants it.

Sounds like same buyer I've sold to in the past few months. Had no problems as I ship the way he requested anyway.

I work in IT so I know what customer service is all about :) That being said, I would not expect to see a sign on a store that said " no shoes, no shirt, no service" and pull of my shirt, walk in and expect service JUST because the customer is always right.

I would offer to ship it to him in the manner described in the auction. If he wants it shipped by any different means then fine but it will cost extra. Gas and time cost money. If he cannot read the auction description perhaps he should not be bidding on books listed on ebay. Perhaps an email prior to the bidding would have been in order?

I would suck it up and send it to him the way he wants. Unfortunately the Buyer has all the power - especially now that Sellers can't leave negative feedback. Buyers know it and USE IT against Sellers. Make sure in the future that you put in BIG BOLD LETTERS in a paragraph in your DESCRIPTION how you ship and if the buyer isn't agreeable to it, ask them NOT TO BID.

I had an international buyer tell me she couldn't afford to pay the duty taxes on a Barbie I sold her and went on and on about how she didn't know about the taxes, she was a struggling student and that I should have informed her, blah blah blah. I ended up paying half of the taxes due (almost $30) and learned my lesson real quick.

Can't say I've known anyone in IT with good Customer service skills :baiting:

Since you are stuck with this buyer now you have a choice. Ship it their way and risk a neg or ship it your way and risk a neg and a return. I tend to take the hit (neg) but at some point which do you prefer? Doing it your way or the customer's way? So far I only see ego in your reponses in that you don't want the customer to get their way. If that's the case then the result is likely a neg.