• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with an Ebay buyer - advice

107 posts in this topic

If you let people go around and be wrong all the time, they never learn. They never grow as a human being. How can one NOT not let this go?

Some things need to be driven home, some points have to be made. This really isn't costing Logan anything, it seems. If he has time to chat on a message board, he can spend 10-20 minutes getting stuff straight with eBay.

I am not mad, or bitter. I just want people to act like decent human beings, and this fellow needs guidance.

-slym

I'm with you man. I know people are telling me to do otherwise because it's the easier path and will be less trouble and time. Well, I have the time and I'm from Chicago baby, I'm not taking mess from no one :headbang:

Just out of curiosity, did the buyer pay yet? If he never pays up and leaves a neg, you might be able to get Ebay to remove it. However, if the buyer does pay and leaves you a neg, you have close to 0% of winning the argument with Ebay. Even if you do have the terms stated on your listing, Ebay will always side with the buyer using the argument that successfully delivering the goods to the buyer is fully your responsibility. I completely agree with you that the buyer is a tool and I have already added him to my block list. The question becomes is it worth it to suck down a neg over it when it can be resolved with a lot less headache? Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and look at the overall picture.

I would typically agree with that sentiment. I myself would probably choose the path of most resistance but I understand why people would just suck it up and get it done. However, nowadays what is the future of ebay? Been on a there since 2000. Every year I find myself selling less and less. I'm likely buying about the same but as a seller, they've really screwed us over. So in the "big picture" I don't really care all that much about a single neg. I'm sure you can't just tank your feedback without consequences but at this point, if somebody told me I couldn't sell on ebay ever again. I think I might just not give a flying :censored:

Unfortunately, the future does look pretty grim for us Ebay sellers. I'm very close to throwing in the towel as well. I only wish they had some form of competition so that way I can just jump ship to a better auction block that respects us. As of right now, only Amazon is the 2nd runner up, but they don't have the amount of traffic Ebay has. I'm just waiting on Google to step in to take a piece of the market. They are pretty much the only company out there capable of giving Ebay any competition.

If you let people go around and be wrong all the time, they never learn. They never grow as a human being. How can one NOT not let this go?

Some things need to be driven home, some points have to be made. This really isn't costing Logan anything, it seems. If he has time to chat on a message board, he can spend 10-20 minutes getting stuff straight with eBay.

I am not mad, or bitter. I just want people to act like decent human beings, and this fellow needs guidance.

-slym

I'm with you man. I know people are telling me to do otherwise because it's the easier path and will be less trouble and time. Well, I have the time and I'm from Chicago baby, I'm not taking mess from no one :headbang:

Just out of curiosity, did the buyer pay yet? If he never pays up and leaves a neg, you might be able to get Ebay to remove it. However, if the buyer does pay and leaves you a neg, you have close to 0% of winning the argument with Ebay. Even if you do have the terms stated on your listing, Ebay will always side with the buyer using the argument that successfully delivering the goods to the buyer is fully your responsibility. I completely agree with you that the buyer is a tool and I have already added him to my block list. The question becomes is it worth it to suck down a neg over it when it can be resolved with a lot less headache? Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and look at the overall picture.

I would typically agree with that sentiment. I myself would probably choose the path of most resistance but I understand why people would just suck it up and get it done. However, nowadays what is the future of ebay? Been on a there since 2000. Every year I find myself selling less and less. I'm likely buying about the same but as a seller, they've really screwed us over. So in the "big picture" I don't really care all that much about a single neg. I'm sure you can't just tank your feedback without consequences but at this point, if somebody told me I couldn't sell on ebay ever again. I think I might just not give a flying :censored:

Unfortunately, the future does look pretty grim for us Ebay sellers. I'm very close to throwing in the towel as well. I only wish they had some form of competition so that way I can just jump ship to a better auction block that respects us. As of right now, only Amazon is the 2nd runner up, but they don't have the amount of traffic Ebay has. I'm just waiting on Google to step in to take a piece of the market. They are pretty much the only company out there capable of giving Ebay any competition.

It would be nice to find a competitor that resembled the ebay of 7 or 8 years ago. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Although I will say I have done decent right here on these boards for starters. At least here you know most of the folks you deal with are going to be on the up and up and it's all around a lesser hassle IMO. I've also moved a number of books on Clink. Maybe could have gotten a few more bucks through a wider ebay audience but in the end, Clink seems tidier. They do all the work and I can trust them to deliver my book to the winner and cut me a check in reasonable time. Haven't tried any other places but right now the boards usually get first crack on the good stuff.

Just out of curiosity, is this the auction in question?

Daredevil #170

Yes, that's the one.

I do not read that auction as stating that you will ONLY ship via FedEx, just that you are offering fedEx shipping for $8, which sounds like a really good deal to me (cheaper than USPS for the most part for a slab) IF I (or the buyer) lived somewhere in which FedEx isn't a PITA.

I suggest making it clearer. While your interpretation of what you wrote makes sense, it really doesn't rule out other options. "I ONLY SHIP VIA FEDEX" is a lot more explicit. I'm giving this to you from a potential customer's perspective as well as a lawyer's perspective. It is open to interpretation. You were explicit about no foreign shipping.

It's really not specific. If I saw an auction like that saying "$3 media shipping" I would not assume that the seller wouldn't ship it priority if I gave him extra $. Of course, I wouldn't insist on priority either, but everyone is different.

Honestly, sticking a label on a PM fixed price box and dumping it in a mailbox is not that hard. You can get confirmation, signature, insurance, the whole shebang. It'll cost him more than $8 though, but rather than fighting it out, why not just give in? He doesn't seem to be a wackjob who negs millions of sellers, just a lowballer going after these sorts of slabs.

So, most likely been done already.....start a thread with ebay buyers that should be blocked because they enjoy the power of.....I'll neg ya or positive ya with 5-1 stars. Yes, the feedback sysytem has created many tyrants on the bay as of right now......of that we can all agree.

Were you a client (and this obviously a bigger deal), I would advise you that this is a fight not worth fighting. Yes, the guy had a bizarre attitude and should go F-himself, but there's enough ambiguity in the shipping terms that it's just worth it to give in on it.

Also, as noted, FedEx does not ship to P.O. Boxes. Does this guy have a P.O. Box? If so, what is he supposed to do?

For the record, he has not paid me and refuses to do so unless I ship it according to his terms. All attempts to get any kind of information out of him such as WHY he will only accept shipments one way have all been responded to in the same manner..." you do it my way or not at all ". This guy is giving me no common courtesy or respect, nor does he seem to be willing to communicate in a normal human fashion. To this I say screw him...I already let him know I would rather eat the book plastic and all before shipping it to him.

Well, I'm going to block this guy, as he seems to be a major fugging tool, as people/buyers on the bay seem to blatantly ignore the item description nowadays, just another ebay azzwhole who has taken this "only buyers cab leave a neg" chit to the level we all knew it would get-however, I feel ebay is seeing the error of their ways, and some evidence to me is the change...once again in the power seller requirements that will change once again in April 2010.

For the record, he has not paid me and refuses to do so unless I ship it according to his terms. All attempts to get any kind of information out of him such as WHY he will only accept shipments one way have all been responded to in the same manner..." you do it my way or not at all ". This guy is giving me no common courtesy or respect, nor does he seem to be willing to communicate in a normal human fashion. To this I say screw him...I already let him know I would rather eat the book plastic and all before shipping it to him.

:o

(thumbs u

Were you a client (and this obviously a bigger deal), I would advise you that this is a fight not worth fighting. Yes, the guy had a bizarre attitude and should go F-himself, but there's enough ambiguity in the shipping terms that it's just worth it to give in on it.

Also, as noted, FedEx does not ship to P.O. Boxes. Does this guy have a P.O. Box? If so, what is he supposed to do?

Ummm? How about not bid? I ship via UPS. I've forgotten in the past but typically all my listings say "NO P.O.BOXES". No different than an international person bidding when I say "I don't ship internationally".

The crux of your argument is that it's ambiguous. I disagree. He says right in the listing "I will ship Fedex express". Seems pretty clear to me. I wasn't aware that you had to disclose that you won't ship via any other method. Adding in the word "only" would certainly help. But I don't think it's necessary. He's clear in his statement. He show intent to ship it via Fedex. It's implied that he's not going to ship it any other way. Nowhere does it say the seller offers to make exceptions or any other arrangements for any buyer.

If you are a buyer and you fail to read the listing and notice the seller ship's fedex. That's a you problem.

If you see the fedex and know you can't or won't accept fedex, and you bid without clearing other arrangements through the seller...that is also a you problem.

Maybe I am crazy but I am one of those people that doesn't accept "yeah...the guy's a jerk and he's wrong....so let me just give him what he wants." That's so bass ackwards to me. I can't even reconcile that in my head. My brain/body would refuse to let me go along with shipping it the way he wanted as it makes no sense to me at all other than saving my precious feedback. If the guy doesn't agree to the terms, doesn't pay, you can get rid of the neg with some effort. You either have the stomach for the fight or you don't. And if ebay won't help you............why on earth would you want to stick with ebay anyway. Good riddance.

Since Halloween is nearly upon us I felt like being mischievous. I went ahead and blocked this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. Then I sent him an ebay message explaining that I just bocked him, why and a link to this thread. :devil:

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Ok, I retract my previous statement....file an NPB and then emailing and ask him if having his head stuck that far up his own allows him to hear the ocean.

(thumbs u

Update - I just got home from my wife's work Halloween party and I have en email waiting for me from this taint. He basically tells me that out of the goodness of his heart he will accept the dreaded FedEx package and that I should kiss his ring for doing so and that the package better arrive safely or else...and sent me the money via Paypal.

I promptly went to Paypal, refunded the exact amount to him, and told him to suck it.

Update - I just got home from my wife's work Halloween party and I have en email waiting for me from this taint. He basically tells me that out of the goodness of his heart he will accept the dreaded FedEx package and that I should kiss his ring for doing so and that the package better arrive safely or else...and sent me the money via Paypal.

I promptly went to Paypal, refunded the exact amount to him, and told him to suck it.

Good for you. What an arrogant piece of mess.

DRX

well, if he is that bad and doesn't give a reason for why he's such a PITA then I agree...better not play with a wackadoodle like that. had he said "I only have a P.O....FedEx tosses the boxes in the street near me, etc." at least he would give a reason.

well, if he is that bad and doesn't give a reason for why he's such a PITA then I agree...better not play with a wackadoodle like that. had he said "I only have a P.O....FedEx tosses the boxes in the street near me, etc." at least he would give a reason.

Trust me, I asked for a reason. I messaged him at least half a dozen times saying that I would work with him if there were special circumstances and he gave me the same pat response every time.

Ummm? How about not bid? I ship via UPS. I've forgotten in the past but typically all my listings say "NO P.O.BOXES". No different than an international person bidding when I say "I don't ship internationally".

The crux of your argument is that it's ambiguous. I disagree. He says right in the listing "I will ship Fedex express". Seems pretty clear to me. I wasn't aware that you had to disclose that you won't ship via any other method. Adding in the word "only" would certainly help. But I don't think it's necessary. He's clear in his statement. He show intent to ship it via Fedex. It's implied that he's not going to ship it any other way. Nowhere does it say the seller offers to make exceptions or any other arrangements for any buyer.

If you are a buyer and you fail to read the listing and notice the seller ship's fedex. That's a you problem.

If you see the fedex and know you can't or won't accept fedex, and you bid without clearing other arrangements through the seller...that is also a you problem.

Maybe I am crazy but I am one of those people that doesn't accept "yeah...the guy's a jerk and he's wrong....so let me just give him what he wants." That's so bass ackwards to me. I can't even reconcile that in my head. My brain/body would refuse to let me go along with shipping it the way he wanted as it makes no sense to me at all other than saving my precious feedback. If the guy doesn't agree to the terms, doesn't pay, you can get rid of the neg with some effort. You either have the stomach for the fight or you don't. And if ebay won't help you............why on earth would you want to stick with ebay anyway. Good riddance.

Since Halloween is nearly upon us I felt like being mischievous. I went ahead and blocked this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. Then I sent him an ebay message explaining that I just bocked him, why and a link to this thread. :devil:

Some fights are simply not worth fighting and on the surface this one didn't seem like it was worth fighting (other than the fact that the buyer has given signs of irrationality/instability). Most of the sellers here would not fight this fight. It's not like the guy is insisting on delivery via bald eagle or something or that he be allowed to pay in Turkish Lira. It would be nice though if he actually gave a reason for his problem like the ones some of us have proferred rather than being a jerkwad about it.

But thank goodness lots of folks like to fight on principal and drag things out. It helps keep us lawyers employed! (Not to mention, lawyers are probably the biggest offenders.)