• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

Well, the topic was even being discussed and someone takes a swipe at those who do press. Folks, we might not ever agree on pressing. That is fine. But is it too much to ask that the character and morals of those of us who do press, and do disclose (cause that is what it is about right?) NOT get called names that are synonyms for cheat, thief, liar, etc?

For those that do disclose, yes. Those that don't are cheaters.

No, I don't buy into this whole "it's okay to press if you disclose" business. Which is one of the reasons why I never joined NOD. I'm opposed to pressing. Full stop. And will continue to make my feelings about the practice very clear.

If it makes you feel any better, I do agree that the ones who don't disclose are even bigger dirtbags.

Keep up the good work. (thumbs u

I'll bet Danny Dupcak is a dirtbag presser hm

I don't understand the benefit of pressing a bag of dirt. (shrug)

It occupies less volume, making it easier to transport....

(thumbs u

Also, mud (dirt + water) makes a better projectile.

My point is all pressers are not dirtbags but some are just like all humans are not dirtbags but some are.

Pressers are people too (and they have feelings!) so while tth2 has every right to rail against the dirtbag pressers in the world we have to remember the nice people we have here...that are pressers. :foryou:

Well, the topic was even being discussed and someone takes a swipe at those who do press. Folks, we might not ever agree on pressing. That is fine. But is it too much to ask that the character and morals of those of us who do press, and do disclose (cause that is what it is about right?) NOT get called names that are synonyms for cheat, thief, liar, etc?

For those that do disclose, yes. Those that don't are cheaters.

No, I don't buy into this whole "it's okay to press if you disclose" business. Which is one of the reasons why I never joined NOD. I'm opposed to pressing. Full stop. And will continue to make my feelings about the practice very clear.

If it makes you feel any better, I do agree that the ones who don't disclose are even bigger dirtbags.

+1 :preach:

I had a comic with a bad spine roll and I straightened it out about 80% by putting it on the bottom of a huge stack of heavy books and stuff. i was actually kindah shocked it sort of worked. it transformed that baby from a $1 book into potential $2 material with merely 30 days of continuous pressure.

Any time the topic of pressing comes up, somewhere, sometime, the pro-pressers will usually begin talking about how there is a feeling that the other side tends to make personal attacks on those who press.

A seller who practices disclosure is the same as a seller who has nothing to disclose imho. All a consumer can hope for is to fully understand what is being offered for sale.

Those sellers using covert predatory practices to increase their profits will face some negativity and opposition. I don't see how that's avoidable. Those sellers know up front it comes with the territory.

Any time the topic of pressing comes up, somewhere, sometime, the pro-pressers will usually begin talking about how there is a feeling that the other side tends to make personal attacks on those who press.

A seller who practices disclosure is the same as a seller who has nothing to disclose imho. All a consumer can hope for is to fully understand what is being offered for sale.

Those sellers using covert predatory practices to increase their profits will face some negativity and opposition. I don't see how that's avoidable. Those sellers know up front it comes with the territory.

Just like in any other business (thumbs u

are all these new 9.8s on the census over the last few years on books that generally didnt have that many 9.8s really because of pressing?

You'll never know.

It's evolved to a point where no one can tell by looking at a Blue label what type of book is in the holder. Plenty of loopholes, with one big number to go by.

I kinda feel sorry for the anti-pressing, high grade loving crowd :(

More and more I get the feeling they are tilting at windmills, without getting into the pro's and cons of pressing, it just seems that more and more there are now just two sets of books. Those that have been pressed or are suspect and those that claim loud and boldly to be "unpressed".

The first category are "unwanted" by you guys and the second category are being bought for prices out of your league by people hoping to press them out to a higher grade and who don't mind paying multiples of GPA. And of course once they are done the books move to the first category.

Don-quichotte.jpg

The hobby is supposed to be fun, a break from reality and all the stress. If the hobby, (or the changes in the hobby) give you more stress...in the end what's left ?

Maybe a change to mid-grade comics, which you can read and take to the can with you without fear of grade-dropping :cloud9:

Question: How many times can you press a book until some damaged is caused?

I know it probably depends on the age of the book, the method used, etc...but is there a general rule of thumb?

If there is a "limit", then pressing should be disclosed, if only to prevent the new owner from inadvertently damaging the book.

I'm not going to speak for Tim since he's a big boy and can handle any criticism that comes...

What I will say is I've done the same thing Tim is accused of and it comes from frustration. And the frustration comes from multiple angles...

Frustration that people are pressing purely for profit. Yes...greed...and that in itself tends to bring the worse out of those that disagree...

Frustration that people imply the anti-pressers are somehow naive and not hip on the current market...

Frustration from all the sarcasm directed their way...

Frustration that you can't tell if a comic has been pressed. And it's nice to see that some are seeing the fallacy of that argument...

And finally the fallacy that pressing ISN'T resto now despite the fact it was recognized as resto not too long in the past. Just because CGC doesn't consider it resto doesn't make it the final word...

People will hear what they want as demonstrated by the numerous debates we've had here. This is a pro-pressing Forum based on CGC's stance and that's fine. But don't expect people to engage in serious debate, sans the occasional dig, when the pressing crowd continually tries to drown out the opinion the anti-pressers are trying to convey.

It works both ways...and sarcasm/distain for their views tend to bring out the worse in others...

Jim

I kinda feel sorry for the anti-pressing, high grade loving crowd :(

More and more I get the feeling they are tilting at windmills, without getting into the pro's and cons of pressing, it just seems that more and more there are now just two sets of books. Those that have been pressed or are suspect and those that claim loud and boldly to be "unpressed".

The first category are "unwanted" by you guys and the second category are being bought for prices out of your league by people hoping to press them out to a higher grade and who don't mind paying multiples of GPA. And of course once they are done the books move to the first category.

Don-quichotte.jpg

The hobby is supposed to be fun, a break from reality and all the stress. If the hobby, (or the changes in the hobby) give you more stress...in the end what's left ?

Maybe a change to mid-grade comics, which you can read and take to the can with you without fear of grade-dropping :cloud9:

Keep in mind encapsulated comics is a very, very tiny niche in overall fandom. There's probably more to enjoy now than ever before. Comics and related stuff are everywhere. (thumbs u

Question: How many times can you press a book until some damaged is caused?

I know it probably depends on the age of the book, the method used, etc...but is there a general rule of thumb?

If there is a "limit", then pressing should be disclosed, if only to prevent the new owner from inadvertently damaging the book.

1 pressing is not good for the book. Two and more will be even worse.

click for link to pressings long term effects

People here get far too personal and those pressers who have the integrity to hold their hands up and say what they're doing get more hassle than those pressers who say nothing and continue selling books without disclosure. How many sellers like that are there here? How many never even comment on the pressing discussions so that they can slip under the radar?

It's about time that more thought was put into, who are those pressers who are conspicuously silent?

People here get far too personal and those pressers who have the integrity to hold their hands up and say what they're doing get more hassle than those pressers who say nothing and continue selling books without disclosure. How many sellers like that are there here? How many never even comment on the pressing discussions so that they can slip under the radar?

It's about time that more thought was put into, who are those pressers who are conspicuously silent?

Some have been called out...and god forbid you do that around here...

Jim