• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Anti-Pressers HATE pressing?

1,017 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of stong opinions by people for and against pressing.

I am just wondering what is the driving force/forces AGAINST pressing?

Is it:

A) Pressing could potentially harm the comic

B) Pressing floods the market with "High Grade" comics

C) Pressign is really the same thing as Undisclosed Restoration

D) I dont like seeing books I've sold pressed & flipped for more $ than I sold it for

E) Other...(please elaborate)

\

you left out F) all of the above

So Dale are you for or against Pressing I am sure everyone here would like to here something from someone with a well known reputation as yours?

And that is why I don't get the hysteria. If you so strongly hate pressing, stick to raw books.

I get the hysteria and I buy mostly raw comics.

FACT: As pressing increases the high-grade CGC Census count, values will drop on the majority of books.

FACT: A lot of speculators and collectors will lose a lot of money, and this has already been happening on the majority of CGC comics out there right now.

FACT: Pressers will continue to mine the raw fields, as it makes them money, without any regard to the health of the hobby or the funny book portfolios of many CGC forum members.

I've come to regard pressing as a necessary evil, and although my personal collection will take a serious financial hit, I never bought these for resale anyway and I will welcome the inevitable.

Seven years later, lets look at these FACTS.

FACT: No it didn't

FACT: No they haven't

FACT: The first two parts of the sentence are very true. The last part of the sentence is irrelevant and meaningless.

And that is why I don't get the hysteria. If you so strongly hate pressing, stick to raw books.

I get the hysteria and I buy mostly raw comics.

FACT: As pressing increases the high-grade CGC Census count, values will drop on the majority of books.

FACT: A lot of speculators and collectors will lose a lot of money, and this has already been happening on the majority of CGC comics out there right now.

FACT: Pressers will continue to mine the raw fields, as it makes them money, without any regard to the health of the hobby or the funny book portfolios of many CGC forum members.

I've come to regard pressing as a necessary evil, and although my personal collection will take a serious financial hit, I never bought these for resale anyway and I will welcome the inevitable.

Seven years later, lets look at these FACTS.

FACT: No it didn't

FACT: No they haven't

FACT: The first two parts of the sentence are very true. The last part of the sentence is irrelevant and meaningless.

Noticed a lot of dealers selling high grade raws at (or above in some cases) GPA. I don't blame them - lots of sharks out there. This prices a lot of the average collectors out of the market. Although it is fun to watch speculators flipping books amongst themselves. :)

If you're going through grandpa's attic and find a dusty stack of comics with an AF15 on top, covered in dust, then would the purists here say that blowing the dust off the book would be "restoration"?

hm