• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees - Rank'em

62 posts in this topic

how come the golden state is not a pedigree, was it an original owner or a wharehouse find?

Copied from Comicpriceguide.com:

The Golden State collection was amassed by a meticulous collector residing in the San Francisco area who carefully filed away his newsstand copies each month. The core of the collection ranged from the early ‘60s to present, but also included a very impressive run of Golden Age as well.

The owner finally decided to part with the Golden and Silver Age portions of his collection in the early ‘90s, and much of it entered the market through a national dealer [showcase NE]. Unfortunately much of the Silver Age was never documented as the Golden State collection, although one can still find random CGC graded issues floating about. The average grade of this period was 9.4 – 9.6, truly amazing books.

Fast forward to 2008…The original owner has finally decided to sell the remainder of his collection, which consists of late Bronze Age to present.

Correct. The WP Strange Tales and TTA runs are probably the best existing. Certainly the TTA run is, if for no other reason than it includes the only copy of TTA 35 that has graded above 9.0 so far.

Tom sent me a list of WP books in his collection. When I find it I will try to post it.

Tom

It's funny, this is the exact book that made me realize that I shouldn't continue with my White Mountain quest anymore :sorry:

Why's that? I recognize this book--hoodeedoo owned it about 6 years ago, and he had it on the market at least a year without selling.

I don't want it to appear that I'm pizzing on Crazy Canucks book (because I'm not, I'm pizzing on FF #24 in general)...Anyways about a year ago that exact book shows up for sale on CL for $3600ish. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to pass on the book. Never in my life have I ever aspired to own that book and there was no way I was going to spend real money for a book just because of who the previous owner once was. It therefore became my epiphany book as I realized that my WM quest was flawed, and that spending money on a book I didn't truly love was counter productive to the goals I have set for myself in this hobby.

Jim

After some hemming and hawing, I decided to pass on the book. Never in my life have I ever aspired to own that book and there was no way I was going to spend real money for a book just because of who the previous owner once was.

At $3600, you're mostly paying for the 9.6 grade, not the pedigree. In general, I suspect that White Mountain cover writing eliminates enough buyers to mostly offset any premium paid for the pedigree.

A great copy of that issue would sell at $3600 whether it was pedigreed or not. A different 9.6 copy of the issue has been repeatedly hitting the market on and off for the last four years now, and I think it's up again in the latest Pedigree auction, although I can't tell from Doug's smallish scans--I pass on SOOOO many Pedigree listings due to too-small scans. That copy has a weird cover cut on the right edge that made me pass on it even when I saw it for under $2000.

After some hemming and hawing, I decided to pass on the book. Never in my life have I ever aspired to own that book and there was no way I was going to spend real money for a book just because of who the previous owner once was.

At $3600, you're mostly paying for the 9.6 grade, not the pedigree. In general, I suspect that White Mountain cover writing eliminates enough buyers to mostly offset any premium paid for the pedigree.

A great copy of that issue would sell at $3600 whether it was pedigreed or not. A different 9.6 copy of the issue has been repeatedly hitting the market on and off for the last four years now, and I think it's up again in the latest Pedigree auction, although I can't tell from Doug's smallish scans--I pass on SOOOO many Pedigree listings due to too-small scans. That copy has a weird cover cut on the right edge that made me pass on it even when I saw it for under $2000.

Do you really think that people view the WM date writing as a negative ? Not all people think that Pedigreed books are worth a premium, for those people I imagine that writing or not they may not think the book is worth the extra cash and may view the writing as a further negative. However for those that love Pedigrees the WM writing is one in my opinion that actually helps create premiums because its distinctive nature. We're not talking a large ugly grease stamp i.e. Ohio's but a very nicely placed number in an unobstrusive location that helps identify a book's history.

Do you really think that people view the WM date writing as a negative ? Not all people think that Pedigreed books are worth a premium, for those people I imagine that writing or not they may not think the book is worth the extra cash and may view the writing as a further negative. However for those that love Pedigrees the WM writing is one in my opinion that actually helps create premiums because its distinctive nature. We're not talking a large ugly grease stamp i.e. Ohio's but a very nicely placed number in an unobstrusive location that helps identify a book's history.

Lots of people have peeves. Some guys can't stand writing, date stamps or chipping. Different strokes. I love all of those things.

I personally love FF 24....but would be totally happy with a nice 8.5 with a couple of minor corner "dleebs". It's cool to finally know why cgcworld finally abandoned the quest. I can relate, because I can't think of even a full run of any title that I would want to own EVERY pedigree copy of, much less the entire pedigree. As a collector I definitely think you chose the path of maximum fulfillment. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo9a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I personally love FF 24....but would be totally happy with a nice 8.5 with a couple of minor corner "dleebs". It's cool to finally know why cgcworld finally abandoned the quest. I can relate, because I can't think of even a full run of any title that I would want to own EVERY pedigree copy of, much less the entire pedigree. As a collector I definitely think you chose the path of maximum fulfillment. GOD BLESS...

FF #24, ASM #37 and ASM #138 are the only three covers that I actually downright loathe in all of fandom :sorry:

Jim

I don't know Teddie, which one's a nicer book? Mine or Yours? I think it's a toss up and whether it be the penned year, or grease pencil, both means you are holding something special :thumbsup:

WMAvengers4.jpg

OhioAvengers4.jpg

Jim

FF #24, ASM #37 and ASM #138 are the only three covers that I actually downright loathe in all of fandom :sorry:

Jim

It's funny how tastes differ, I also loveASM 37....but like the FF 24 it's so plentiful that my interest is not high .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't know Teddie, which one's a nicer book? Mine or Yours? I think it's a toss up and whether it be the penned year, or grease pencil, both means you are holding something special :thumbsup:

WMAvengers4.jpg

OhioAvengers4.jpg

Jim

Oh for sure Jim, I meant to be solely talking about how some people might find some Pedigree writing as a big detractor on the book. To me the White Mountains have to be the least obstrusive of them all. Personally I dont love grease pencils but I appreciate all Pedigree markings, including the Winnipeg Sigs.