• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCBS reviews?

43 posts in this topic

i didn't know they offered guaranteed grade service either. not that it matters to me but i can see you'd be frustrated if you're paying for a specific grade and they don't get it to you.

:gossip: they have never offered a guaranteed grade service.

It seems to me that the poster had unrealistic expectations from a service that never marketed itself as Colossus Comics did with a guaranteed grade to the books received.

Most LCS would also not kindly take to a customer demanding all books bought to be 9.X guaranteed when there is no guarantee the LCS or DCBS would receive any books of that particular issue in stated grade! Plus, I also figure that the folks at DCBS don't have time to screen the books and parse them out to specific orders. IMO, as stated above, the expectations from the poster were not in line with what the service is and I, for one, don't blame DCBS for cutting him off.

Now, if they had an agreement that guaranteed you a grade and I am not aware of it, that's a different story.

In response to the other poster: I receive my books on Thursday afternoon, the day after they are released ... but I am quite close to the DCBS store. My books transit from Indiana to Wisconsin. I am on the twice a month shipping schedule and I don't ask for b&b as I never bag my moderns. They are read then thrown in long boxes.

You are correct, DCBS never guaranteed a grade. However, when I receive, for example, several books in a shipment with torn covers and I visit my LCS and the covers are not torn on those titles I expect to receive such from DCBS. Since DCBS is unable to meet my expectation, we parted ways. It turned out for the best on both sides as I am happy with the comic book dealer I purchase from now and DCBS is happy since they don't have to meet my expectations.

Lastly, I "cut DCBS off" as they would have been perfectly happy to continue selling me comic books.

Thanks for the follow-up. Sorry if I mis-read. Now I see that you decided to part ways.

I am quite surprised about the torn covers comment. The worst that ever happened to me has been a large fold in one comic. The back cover folded when they stacked them and they replace it without my having to ship the damage book back. I guess I should count my blessings since my shipments have been error free for me for the last 3+ years.

Are you now using a LCS or another online service?

I am using a LCS but have cut back dramatically on my purchases as after 41 years of religiously purchasing new releases I realized it was no longer as fun as it had been. Specifically, instead of purchasing perhaps 100 titles a month, I now purchase perhaps 20. Some runs had to end at some point. I rather have the runs end this way than from dropping dead. :)

It seems to me that the poster had unrealistic expectations from a service that never marketed itself as Colossus Comics did with a guaranteed grade to the books received.

I fail to see how asking to get 9.0/9.2 copies of what are supposed to be brand-new books replaced can be deemed unreasonable - that's a pretty low grade for a modern book.

With that said, I used DCBS for about a year, and had a good experience with them as well - I sent books back twice, and they were replaced with the next shipment without any hassle.

I fail to see how asking to get 9.0/9.2 copies of what are supposed to be brand-new books replaced can be deemed unreasonable - that's a pretty low grade for a modern book.

With that said, I used DCBS for about a year, and had a good experience with them as well - I sent books back twice, and they were replaced with the next shipment without any hassle.

Is 9.0/9.2 really too low of a grade?

I was playing with the idea of going online for probably almost a year just out of loyalty I felt for the LCS and my desire to see it do well. But after continually finding that most of my comics had spine splits or wavy covers or dinged corners (even in my pull bag), I finally got fed up and went online. If I was guaranteed 9.2 coming from the LCS I would have been pretty happy and probably would have never switched. (it was unsuccessfully trying to find a halfway decent copy of Proof #11 that finally pushed me over the edge)

So far, the overall quality of the books I've been getting from DCBS is just destroying the quality of what I was able to find at the LCS...

Well at my LCS I been getting alot of issues that have spine creases and dings, I know its how they get them, but honestly they ask me to pay 2.99/3.99 with a 10% discount for banged up books. So for the discounts offered and all the positive reviews minus 1, I would be willing to jump on board.

On a side not I am pretty happy that the thread was filled with very good useful information, positive and negative :)

I've ordered a few times now from DCBS to try them out and the books have always been consistenlty better than those put in my sub from my LCS whether or not DCBS bagged and boarded the books. I haven't recevied any books below 9.4 with most being 9.8s. My LCS probably averages 9.4.

I've been using the for 3 or 4 years. I've had one ripped cover and one book that had half the wrong pages in it. I e-mailed them and they replaced both of them with out question. They just came in my next shipment. I even forgot my monthly order and the books had already shipped. I e-mailed them and they were able to get me most of the books I wanted. I thought that was above and beyond. I would have been fine with them telling me I was too late.

Being able to save the amount that I do is just great. Their prices just blew away what I was getting at my LCS which was 10% if I kept a certain level of monthlies.

Great service. I used DCBS until I found a LCS that would give me 35% off.

there's a first!!

Yesterday I had 11 titles on my pull list I bought 3, I told the guy there is no way I am paying full price for the condition they received books in. I asked him why would you put this in my file I do not buy books with tears or spine damage that is crazy insane. I.E. Daredevil # 502 the spine had so many bends it looked white going down (Its a black cover)

The owner is way to lazy to send them back to diamond as he said if you dont buy them someone else will. Ok thats why you have 20+ issues of Web of Spiderman # 1 sitting on the shelf.

I've been using them for almost a year now, and had a recent problem with my last order and have yet to hear back from them.

I received my comics on 7/5, emailed them that night that they failed to include Amazing Spider-Man #688 the J Scott Campbell Variant, it's now Tuesday and I've yet to hear back from them.

Have yet to have any major problems from them, but getting a little annoyed I've yet to hear back from them.

Anyone else have a problem with them?

I've been using them for almost a year now, and had a recent problem with my last order and have yet to hear back from them.

I received my comics on 7/5, emailed them that night that they failed to include Amazing Spider-Man #688 the J Scott Campbell Variant, it's now Tuesday and I've yet to hear back from them.

Have yet to have any major problems from them, but getting a little annoyed I've yet to hear back from them.

Anyone else have a problem with them?

They usually get back to me within a day or two. I would email them again.

i failed to receive my X-O 2 1:20 variant...............

Did you pay for it...

I apid for my Amazing #688 variant and got nothing, every copy I see on Ebay is selling for over $50. I'd hate to miss out on this variant.

Finally heard back from DCBservice regarding missing the Amazing Spidey #688 variant. They credited my account and can't replace the issue so now a variant I was hoping to spend $25 for will now end up costing me over $50 on Ebay.

I may just have to miss out on this variant. At least they credited me for it.