• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To all who press books

94 posts in this topic

I'm wondering... and really have been for a while. Many people crack books out of thier cgc cases , press them, and then resubmit them in to get re-graded. I was wondering if the people who are doing this send the old labels back to CGC so they can get taken off the census.

I mean it seems that in time, with all the pressing, cracking and re-subbing that's going on, the CGC census will become watered down with thousands and thousands of books that don't exist. For fake example... their are 8 INCREDIBLE MAN #1's that are listed in the census when in actuality there are only 4 copies that are known.

I guess this is just a plea to send in your old labels... lets at least try to keep the census somewhat legit. :wishluck:

Martin

I'm wondering... and really have been for a while. Many people crack books out of thier cgc cases , press them, and then resubmit them in to get re-graded. I was wondering if the people who are doing this send the old labels back to CGC so they can get taken off the census.

I mean it seems that in time, with all the pressing, cracking and re-subbing that's going on, the CGC census will become watered down with thousands and thousands of books that don't exist. For fake example... their are 8 INCREDIBLE MAN #1's that are listed in the census when in actuality there are only 4 copies that are known.

I guess this is just a plea to send in your old labels... lets at least try to keep the census somewhat legit. :wishluck:

Martin

Wouldn't a promotion of this type invalidate their certification of the original grade? I agree with your intent but for a company to openingly encourage resubmittals doesn't breed conficence that maybe the origimal grade wasn't correct.

It's a self defeating promotion...

Jim

Maybe more people would turn in there old labels if there was an incentive from CGC. Perhaps a coupon for $1-5 off another book submitted for each label returned depending on the tier.

^^

+1

+2

It's really a shame that CGC hasn't picked up on the value that their census adds to their service. If they were to appreciate that value then it follows that it's in their best interest to get back the labels from cracked slabs! doh!

Maybe more people would turn in there old labels if there was an incentive from CGC. Perhaps a coupon for $1-5 off another book submitted for each label returned depending on the tier.

^^

+1

+2

It's really a shame that CGC hasn't picked up on the value that their census adds to their service. If they were to appreciate that value then it follows that it's in their best interest to get back the labels from cracked slabs! doh!

Much like the pressing "ship" has sailed, so too has the accuracy of the CGC census. One can only imagine the number of books that certain big dealers like Doug, Josh, Matt, Heritage, Lauterbach and the like have resubmitted without sending in the labels, in some cases multiple times for a single comic. As a consequence, the census has been imprecise for a long time, and grows more imprecise each passing month.

You really can't lay all the fault on the "big dealers." I know several collectors who crack books out and add them to their personal collection while keeping the label for reference.

hm

You really can't lay all the fault on the "big dealers." I know several collectors who crack books out and add them to their personal collection while keeping the label for reference.

I didn't "lay all the fault on the big dealers", now did I? I did point out that the multitude of big dealer resubmissions has rendered the CGC census imprecise for a long time. The magnitude of their "contribution" likely far exceeds that of any collectors you know who don't send their old labels in.

I know several collectors that do the same thing! (thumbs u

I didn't "lay all the fault on the big dealers", now did I? I did point out that the multitude of big dealer resubmissions has rendered the CGC census imprecise for a long time.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your post, but it reads as an assignment of blame to me.

One can only imagine the number of books that certain big dealers like Doug, Josh, Matt, Heritage, Lauterbach and the like have resubmitted without sending in the labels, in some cases multiple times for a single comic. As a consequence, the census has been imprecise for a long time, and grows more imprecise each passing month.

Oh, and I can guarantee that if Doug Shcmell could still get $5 credit for every returned label he sent to CGC, he wouldn't miss returning a single one.

I do the same thing. Collectors cracking slabs and keeping the labels in the back side of the mylar isn't really throwing the census off **that** much.

It's less of an issue than a book that has been double counted because it has been cracked and resubbed without the label.

I do the same thing. Collectors cracking slabs and keeping the labels in the back side of the mylar isn't really throwing the census off **that** much.

This act does not impact the census at all. It's only a resub and label toss that impacts the census.