• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious Question - how do you afford these books?

131 posts in this topic

I sell booze and cigarettes to 14 and 15 year-olds in private schools, at a 400% mark up.

How's the health plan on that? Do you get dental?

grillsjpg_1.JPG

It's all about priorities. Mine happens to be GA comics and my collection.

My wife and I have no kids, work in comics, have little debt, and I have a collection that goes back two decades that I have been slowly trading/selling up.

Plus I don't have the latest video games, new cell phone, or a new car. I buy things at JCP or Target or CostCo not Macy's or Nordstrom.

I get my new comics and other review swag free or close to it. We watch movies on NetFlix and eat out at places like Burgerville less than once a week.

Of course I also don't have a 401k or SEP IRA. (shrug)

On a serious note, I find this interesting. I'd never sacrifice personal luxuries or my quality of life for a hobby. There are too many things out there to experience and enjoy, and I wouldn't trade them for boxes of old newsprint. But that's just me, and I'm probably in the minority here.

I don't know how you guys pay for comics when ink cartridges cost $90 for the black/color combo packs.

word. my wife is in the middle of getting her phD and it's a lot of article readig, etc. and when she forgets to print from work (which is paying for her phD), she does it from home and I can see the money disappearing before my eyes. not to mention, she's never seen a color map she doesn't want to print. uhg.

though i did get a decent break vs. staples buying a jumboer jumbo pack at walmart the one time i stepped into a walmart in my life. (we don't have them in NYC...I was in VA)

I jump on all the Overtime I can get at work...plus I'm constantly on the look for bargains that I can use as trade fodder. Sometimes that can cut my cost for a book by as much as 75 percent. I also have fickle tastes so I usually always have something I'm willing to sell.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i don't buy expensive books. i try to get most of my comics for about 2 dollars or less. i think i do a good job at averaging about a dollar each by buying lots on ebay and cleaning house on quarter and half dollar comics when my lcs closed down. i use paperbackswap for trades and hardcovers. the selection isn't great but i have been surprised with what i had gotten with a single book credit. i am willing to pay up to $20 for comics i really want, and on the very rare occasion have paid as much as $50 (only done it a couple of times, and will not do it if a reprint exists). i know of other collectors that think i am crazy for even doing that, and i somewhat agree with them.

Compared to 10 years ago, today incomes are flat or lower, unemployment is higher, the stock market is lower, housing prices are flat or lower...

Yet comic books are much, much higher on average. How can do you guys afford these books? And this is a serious question.

Because many books are now in the 5 digits which is like a car which one only purchases every few years at the most, and because some books are now entering 6 digits which is like a home which some people only purchase a few times in their lifetimes if that.

You're wrong about the stock market:

GT - March 2009 $3.98 today $13.50

BAC - March 2009 $3.50 today $16

AIG - March 2009 $6.00 today $37

CAT - March 2009 $21.00 today $60

Compared to 10 years ago, today incomes are flat or lower, unemployment is higher, the stock market is lower, housing prices are flat or lower...

Yet comic books are much, much higher on average. How can do you guys afford these books? And this is a serious question.

Because many books are now in the 5 digits which is like a car which one only purchases every few years at the most, and because some books are now entering 6 digits which is like a home which some people only purchase a few times in their lifetimes if that.

Incomes are becoming more stratified. Those at the top are getting more of the pie. The gini-coefficient over the past 10 years has increased in almost every country in the world.

To put that in comic terms those that had money 10 years ago likely are making much more money now so what they can afford to pay has increased. When we are talking about $1,000 books and certainly $10,000 books it really is just a small subset of the comic collecting population that can afford and does pay those sorts of prices.

I have a well paying job (until I am let go or quit) and I am able to pay for my 3 crazy hobbies: comic books, James Bond & Stargate. I use 10% of my income for these purchases.

I do not donate to a church, I am selfish and want my goods. :)