• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Depressed Comics Thread

56 posts in this topic

I collect GA right through modern and have recently spent a lot of time looking at GA, SA and BA prices on GPA. As far as I can see, almost everything is down and I'd guess about 20% from 2008 and 2007 highs. You just have to look at how slow the sales threads are on these boards to see that people are buying less. I find that fixed price sellers are still trying to get 2008 prices so I have switched to auctions for almost all my purchases and am picking up most everything below what I would have paid in 2007-8.

Mike

I still think Whiz #2 (1) can and will be the biggest book on the planet again.

:insane:

I agree (minus the insane smiley)!

I think many people (myself included) tend to swing to what is contemporary cool...as in what is dark and adult like, because that is the direction that we as adults seeking entertainment have matured towards. That's what I think caused people to turn away from Captain Marvel. I don't think he'll ever recapture his former glory which is a shame. As far as pillars of the Golden Age he was one of the largest.

... I find that fixed price sellers are still trying to get 2008 prices so I have switched to auctions for almost all my purchases ...

Agreed. Most fixed priced listings these days have unrealistic expectations, IMO. 2c

I love the "Make An Offer" tab. It works wonders.

:grin:

... I find that fixed price sellers are still trying to get 2008 prices so I have switched to auctions for almost all my purchases ...

Agreed. Most fixed priced listings these days have unrealistic expectations, IMO. 2c

I love the "Make An Offer" tab. It works wonders.

:grin:

Another agreement. I wish every seller used that option! hm

At some point we will get to the fact that pressing has caused the depression in prices but that is not the intention of this thread so please restrain as much as humanly possible :wishluck:

Aim of thread:

Discuss where prices of comics (series/storylines/covers/genres/publishers/ etc) have become so depressed that they have become attractive to buy.

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

SA - medium grade non-keys (as presentable readers)

BA - X-Men Byrne/ FF to read or collect high grade

All Daredevils (though I might be biased)

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't know whether overall prices are dropping or if the gap between keys and non-keys are widening at a faster rate. My view is that the gap is widening with both keys continually increasing in price while non-keys are getting more affordable - at least on the non high grade ones.

To more specifically answer your question, I think EC's are seeing a bit of a depression. Wish I could provide facts on this, but observation seems to be so. (shrug)

I don't see it as being depressed. I saw many insane prices in the pedigree auction. X-Men #10 in 9.2 with C/OW for $1700???? That's krazy!

Yes there were other books that sold for low money, but part of that is supply and demand. Like that first Spawn in 10.0 that sold for crazy money, what does a Spawn #1 go for today in 10.0. probably just over cover price.

So this is the Everyman Edition of what Dover and 2Peenie are doing over in their thread?

(shrug)

"And I will go with thee, Everyman, and teach thee to flip, and to monitor market fluctuations, and I will slide in a bit about Kant as we go."

(with apologies to Dante, Everyman, Dover, 2PNY, you, and my better judgement)

At some point we will get to the fact that pressing has caused the depression in prices but that is not the intention of this thread so please restrain as much as humanly possible :wishluck:

Aim of thread:

Discuss where prices of comics (series/storylines/covers/genres/publishers/ etc) have become so depressed that they have become attractive to buy.

My view:

GA - non DC/Timely

SA - medium grade non-keys (as presentable readers)

BA - X-Men Byrne/ FF to read or collect high grade

All Daredevils (though I might be biased)

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't know whether overall prices are dropping or if the gap between keys and non-keys are widening at a faster rate. My view is that the gap is widening with both keys continually increasing in price while non-keys are getting more affordable - at least on the non high grade ones.

To more specifically answer your question, I think EC's are seeing a bit of a depression. Wish I could provide facts on this, but observation seems to be so. (shrug)

Agreed. I think that the big drops will be seen in all of the common post 1963 SA and BA books, as well as lesser keys, since there is ample supply in high grade to meet demand. Look at the GA market as the barometer for where the industry will head as whole. Only the keys and early hero issues of major titles really hold/appreciate in value consistently.

That being said, I wonder how much of an impact the multiple auctions have on prices in a given month. I thought that the Mound City prices were strong on the books I was interested in, and it looked like they did well with a lot of others. Maybe the key is to be the first one out of the gate since the big spenders will duke it out for the first 9.4 copy offered in a given month? All you need is one BSD to drop out of the bidding in subsequent auctions to really dampen the price.

We are also finally starting to see the market impacted by the general economy as well. I would be curious to see how many boardies are spending more than they did a year or two ago on funny books vs. how many have cut back.

as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Jim

:gossip: That's Tim Holt, not Tom.

FWIW, the Tim Holt comics tend to have better than average art. (thumbs u

Might be thinking of tom mix :gossip:

The point is the same though, only you old guys know who either one of them is. :baiting:

as long as they don't have Roy Rogers, Tom Holt, or "name your matinee idol" emblazing the cover...

Jim

The point is the same though, only you old guys know who either one of them is. :baiting:

lol

Jim

Wow that really hurt lol

We are also finally starting to see the market impacted by the general economy as well. I would be curious to see how many boardies are spending more than they did a year or two ago on funny books vs. how many have cut back.

I am spending more, but looking hard for deals and never bidding too much. There are a lot of nice comics on the market right now and some can be had for good prices in no reserve auctions. No real need to bid agressively. I just purchased an ASM 50 CGC 8.5 OWW for $560 in a no reserve auction. This book peaked in April 2008 at $1,000 and 8 of the 14 sales since Jan/08 have been over $700 (according to GPA).

Mike