• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

I would be just as happy with a 9.8 and $12,100 in my pocket.

A 10.0 would be over 20k since the 9.9 already set the price. Look at most comics and their curves once they pass 9.4. When the pass 9.8 they go so high that you'll have to adjust your scaling on excel.

hm

-slym

I remember when this sale made news. It really ticked me off because it ruined a deal I was trying to make with a guy.

He decided it was time to part with his books for space reasons (legitimate reason) in his family home, so he approached me with a sampling of books (ASM #121, 122, 129, 300, etc...). We worked out a deal for them and I was very pleased. Although it took much discussion to convince him that his books were NOT NM copies. The BRONZE AGE ones were only VG/FNish. He then told me he had boxes full of books at home. We then proceeded to go through his boxes at a later date. We talked prices and then he mentioned he had about 50 NM #98s stored away somewhere. I offered $50/copy sight unseen as part of the greater deal. He pretty much agreed to it via email, but then this story broke and he reneged and changed attitude. He got all cocky like he was sitting on a pile of gold. I really doubt he had 9.9s based upon the condition of the other Copper/early Modern books I did see.

The man hadn't bought/sold a comic since the early 1990s. They are the worst type to deal with, because they are clueless, greedy, and think back to the early 1990s assuming things are still the same today.

Oh well, I got all of the big keys for a more than fair price. He can sit on his boxes of common issues and supposed stack of NM #98s.

Edited by voorhees

Has there ever been a CGC 9.9 or a CGC 9.8 that has bucked this trend of the inevitable population census dilution of more coming to surface with ultimate price decline?

In keeping somewhat of the same time frame relevant to this thread and NM #98 some parallel examples I can think of from doing some random searches on this topic are:

Wolverine Limited series #1 CGC 10.0. For many years there was only one in the census and apparently one red label sold in the very early beginning phase of CGC for only a few thousand dollars. Now present day there are three CGC 10.0's. But I suspect it would sell for more than $3K now.

ASM 300 CGC 9.9. Another one forever that had only one in the census. Now present day, there are incredibly ten CGC 9.9's in the census. Does anyone by chance know how much the first sole red label 9.9 fetched years ago vs recent sales which were actually very strong?

Interesting with as much popularity of ASM 300; there is still only one ASM 238 CGC 9.9 (1st hob) in the census after all this time.

Now there are nine 9.9s (including a SS) and a 10 on the census. I consider that karma for throwing stones at one of the best Copper books. Brian, you got told.

Okay... Had to respond to this. I completely respected your post until I clicked on your "homepage" icon and got sent to a website touting "Comic Art," the most subjective and over-priced hobby in the world of comics. And, to top it all off, the "GEM" of the website is the original artwork of nothing other than frickin' G.I. Joe #21! Not just one page, or even two pages... BUT EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF ART FOR THAT ISSUE! I seriously can't see the computer screen as I'm laughing so hard. Hard to type.

Has there ever been a CGC 9.9 or a CGC 9.8 that has bucked this trend of the inevitable population census dilution of more coming to surface with ultimate price decline?

In keeping somewhat of the same time frame relevant to this thread and NM #98 some parallel examples I can think of from doing some random searches on this topic are:

Wolverine Limited series #1 CGC 10.0. For many years there was only one in the census and apparently one red label sold in the very early beginning phase of CGC for only a few thousand dollars. Now present day there are three CGC 10.0's. But I suspect it would sell for more than $3K now.

ASM 300 CGC 9.9. Another one forever that had only one in the census. Now present day, there are incredibly ten CGC 9.9's in the census. Does anyone by chance know how much the first sole red label 9.9 fetched years ago vs recent sales which were actually very strong?

Interesting with as much popularity of ASM 300; there is still only one ASM 238 CGC 9.9 (1st hob) in the census after all this time.

i don't know about the first but i believe i had the second and it sold for a lot less than they are going for now.

For example, someone bought the original art cover to NEW MUTANTS #98 for $6K on Ebay. I mean, who loves Deadpool and/or Rob Liefeld art that much?

umm, the person who bought the cover? :baiting:

lol

If he only knew that for $9K more he could have eventually gotten the comic instead. And not just any issue, but a NINE-POINT-NINE! :o

For now, there is only one original art cover and one 9.9 comic. That situation may change down the road for the latter...but it will never change for the former.

Just an update nearly 5 years on - the NM 98 9.9 has, predictably, tanked in price as the census ballooned for 9.9s and a 10.0 even showed up. The NM 98 original cover art? Sold privately for an ENORMOUS price (as in "add a zero" kind of money).

Thus endeth the lesson!

It's a perfectly rational explanation, but, unfortunately it is still rendered completely meaningless by the fact that OMFG, DUDE, YOU PAID $12,250 FOR A FREAKIN' NEW MUTANTS #98. :makepoint:

I mean, I get your faith in CGC and your exponential valuation explanation, but this is still New Mutants #98 we're talking about and paying $12,250 for it is just :screwy:, no matter what the # is on the label, how many copies of that grade are in the Census and/or how wealthy someone is. If multiple people are willing to pay at/near that price, far from justifying it, it just means you're all just totally bonkers. People can make any argument they like ("what I collect..." is my favorite bit of relativistic nonsense (thumbs u ), but this is just prima facie nuts and anyone who's honest with themself knows it.

And just who are these "colleagues" of yours who have offered you a "significant" return on your "investment" already? People are queuing up to pay you, what, $15K+ for this book before it's even in your hands? If that's true, please forward me their names and contact info because I have a giant Ponzi scheme great investment opportunity to sell them.

You say you are an economics professor who is now "sans ballz" having shot your wad, so to speak, on this book? Are you telling us that you are not the second coming of Roman Abramovich who can light his cigars with $12,250 checks?? If so, you are clinically insane braver than I thought.

Okay... Had to respond to this. I completely respected your post until I clicked on your "homepage" icon and got sent to a website touting "Comic Art," the most subjective and over-priced hobby in the world of comics. And, to top it all off, the "GEM" of the website is the original artwork of nothing other than frickin' G.I. Joe #21! Not just one page, or even two pages... BUT EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF ART FOR THAT ISSUE! I seriously can't see the computer screen as I'm laughing so hard. Hard to type.

... G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

And, yes, I can tell already that we'd get along quite well. :)

For anyone who doesn't care about G.I. JOE, the original art for issue #21 is meaningless. Or even laughable, as in this case. But, from strictly a market value standpoint...

If Boston Corbett were to resell his NM #98 9.9 today, he'd lose about 70% of the price he paid in 2009.

I wonder how Gene would do with the complete G.I. JOE #21 issue original art? hm

I still want to know if Boston Corbett bought the 10.0?

hm

If Boston Corbett truly believed everything he wrote (see his post below), then he absolutely *should* have been the one to pony up for the 10.0 when it hit the market.

But I'm going to guess that he's since...learned a lesson. :insane: A lesson that he's taught everyone who's read this thread. :applause: Not that Copper/modern 9.9s are a terrible bet to remain one-of-a-kind in the census-- that's something he had to learn, we all already knew that-- but that blatant displays of hubris on a message board aren't forgotten. Ever.

In the interest of history, Boston Corbett's legendary "lesson":

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

3. In the comic book industry, can someone please intelligently explain the theory of "Exponential Value Theory"? HINT: The difference in value between .5 and 1.5 is less than 1.5 and 1.8... The difference in value between a 9.6 and a 9.4 is greater than a 9.4 and a 9.2. For an example, just look at the price of Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.0 and 9.2... and then look at the prices between 9.2 and 9.4. Other examples...

EXAMPLE A: Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 7.0 sells for $69. There is no significant increase in value until you hit the 9.4 range when it's worth a few hundred bucks. However, Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 9.6 sells for $3,000. And the single 9.8? Well, it sells for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book when (if) it ever comes up for sale (I won't be selling it any time soon).

EXAMPLE B: Everyone on the board seems to be aware of Incredible Hulk #181. A CGC 9.4 sells for $3,000, a 9.6 sells for $5,000, a 9.8 for $15,000 ($25,000 on a good good day), and a 9.9, again, for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book for when (if) it ever comes up for sale.

EXAMPLE C: NEW MUTANTS 87 in 9.8 sells for $125 to $150. 9.9 Sold for $3,500 (i.e., an ungodly amount of money that the winner happened to be able to afford when he stumbled across the auction).

EXAMPLE D: Iron First #14 sells for $500 in 9.4, $800 in 9.6, and $2500 in 9.8 (I was lucky and snagged a copy at $2,100 -- am I lucky for getting it on the cheap, $400 below FMV, or stupid for not donating the money to poor starving children in Africa? It would pay for 200+ manual laborers in Kenya, by the way). If a 9.9 ever pops up, Good Lord, you'd better be Pablo Escobar to have a prayer of owning the book -- you need to be rich and willing to kill to get it.

EXAMPLE E: New Mutants 98. 9.6 sells for the same price as your garden variety "Charmin," 9.8 sells for $200 to $250, and 9.9? Yes, whatever ungodly amount of money, blah, blah, blah.

THIS is the lesson that should be discussed. Comics are worth more (significantly more) as their condition increases. How much a book increases in value depends on: individual taste x popularity/demand for a particular issue x scarcity of the issue x popularity of the character x key "event" in an issue x CGC grade (PGX and other company's -- because of their lack of discipline -- doesn't count, unfortunately) x scarcity of CGC grade x luck (knowing of the auction, being in the country to bid for the auction, when other people are NOT aware of the auction, etc.) x [insert whatever variable I'm missing here, please]. Good luck figuring the math out. Please email me when you have.

The idea of "pressing," getting screwed, spending too much, etc. is irrelevant. The "possibilities" of how/why this book is no different from 9.8s is moot. Indeed, outside of the case, it's worthless and I would be a complete fool for cracking it open. For starters, I'd instantly be out $12,500. But, thankfully it's still in the case and graded by CGC. CGC, while not perfect, is perfectly objective. At some point, on some day, three CGC employees agreed this book deserves a 9.9 and they assiged this particular book the grade 9.9, and they did not give this grade to any of the previous 9.8s. Yes, the "label" makes the value and not the book itself. Why? Because it's not me, Moose, Tommy Boy, Ricky, The Sperminator, or any other "board" member assigning the grade after we've "pressed" the out of the book. It's CGC, the industry bible. Is the grade a mistake? Maybe. Fluke? Perhaps. Will other high grade books "come forward?" Probably. But even with others -- or even a perfect 10 -- the odds of landing this issue, in this objectively graded condition by industry experts who are presently recognized as "The Authority" on comic book condition, is astronomically remote. The only difference would be that now someone else would have another extremely rare -- and valuable -- high grade comic.

The lessons for the high grade collector? 1) Exponential Value Theory means that the price of the "one grade below" has NOTHING to do with the price of the book "one grade above." 2) Valuing a comic is a complicated process that consists of many many variables and you'd better be aware of them before you buy (or sell). 3) ANYONE spending more than cover price on a comic is spending more money than the average Kenyan earns in a day. And 4) if you find a super high grade "popular" book with few others listed on the CGC census, act immediately, or lose the book (and be prepared to give your left nut for the book you want -- I, by the way, am now sans ballz).

Thus endeth the lesson.

FYI... Pedigree cashed the check today.

I still want to know if Boston Corbett bought the 10.0?

hm

If Boston Corbett truly believed everything he wrote (see his post below), then he absolutely *should* have been the one to pony up for the 10.0 when it hit the market.

But I'm going to guess that he's since...learned a lesson. :insane: A lesson that he's taught everyone who's read this thread. :applause: Not that Copper/modern 9.9s are a terrible bet to remain one-of-a-kind in the census-- that's something he had to learn, we all already knew that-- but that blatant displays of hubris on a message board aren't forgotten. Ever.

In the interest of history, Boston Corbett's legendary "lesson":

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

3. In the comic book industry, can someone please intelligently explain the theory of "Exponential Value Theory"? HINT: The difference in value between .5 and 1.5 is less than 1.5 and 1.8... The difference in value between a 9.6 and a 9.4 is greater than a 9.4 and a 9.2. For an example, just look at the price of Tales of Suspense #39 in 9.0 and 9.2... and then look at the prices between 9.2 and 9.4. Other examples...

EXAMPLE A: Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 7.0 sells for $69. There is no significant increase in value until you hit the 9.4 range when it's worth a few hundred bucks. However, Luke Cage: Hero for Hire CGC 9.6 sells for $3,000. And the single 9.8? Well, it sells for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book when (if) it ever comes up for sale (I won't be selling it any time soon).

EXAMPLE B: Everyone on the board seems to be aware of Incredible Hulk #181. A CGC 9.4 sells for $3,000, a 9.6 sells for $5,000, a 9.8 for $15,000 ($25,000 on a good good day), and a 9.9, again, for whatever ungodly amount of money the winner can afford to grab the book for when (if) it ever comes up for sale.

EXAMPLE C: NEW MUTANTS 87 in 9.8 sells for $125 to $150. 9.9 Sold for $3,500 (i.e., an ungodly amount of money that the winner happened to be able to afford when he stumbled across the auction).

EXAMPLE D: Iron First #14 sells for $500 in 9.4, $800 in 9.6, and $2500 in 9.8 (I was lucky and snagged a copy at $2,100 -- am I lucky for getting it on the cheap, $400 below FMV, or stupid for not donating the money to poor starving children in Africa? It would pay for 200+ manual laborers in Kenya, by the way). If a 9.9 ever pops up, Good Lord, you'd better be Pablo Escobar to have a prayer of owning the book -- you need to be rich and willing to kill to get it.

EXAMPLE E: New Mutants 98. 9.6 sells for the same price as your garden variety "Charmin," 9.8 sells for $200 to $250, and 9.9? Yes, whatever ungodly amount of money, blah, blah, blah.

THIS is the lesson that should be discussed. Comics are worth more (significantly more) as their condition increases. How much a book increases in value depends on: individual taste x popularity/demand for a particular issue x scarcity of the issue x popularity of the character x key "event" in an issue x CGC grade (PGX and other company's -- because of their lack of discipline -- doesn't count, unfortunately) x scarcity of CGC grade x luck (knowing of the auction, being in the country to bid for the auction, when other people are NOT aware of the auction, etc.) x [insert whatever variable I'm missing here, please]. Good luck figuring the math out. Please email me when you have.

The idea of "pressing," getting screwed, spending too much, etc. is irrelevant. The "possibilities" of how/why this book is no different from 9.8s is moot. Indeed, outside of the case, it's worthless and I would be a complete fool for cracking it open. For starters, I'd instantly be out $12,500. But, thankfully it's still in the case and graded by CGC. CGC, while not perfect, is perfectly objective. At some point, on some day, three CGC employees agreed this book deserves a 9.9 and they assiged this particular book the grade 9.9, and they did not give this grade to any of the previous 9.8s. Yes, the "label" makes the value and not the book itself. Why? Because it's not me, Moose, Tommy Boy, Ricky, The Sperminator, or any other "board" member assigning the grade after we've "pressed" the out of the book. It's CGC, the industry bible. Is the grade a mistake? Maybe. Fluke? Perhaps. Will other high grade books "come forward?" Probably. But even with others -- or even a perfect 10 -- the odds of landing this issue, in this objectively graded condition by industry experts who are presently recognized as "The Authority" on comic book condition, is astronomically remote. The only difference would be that now someone else would have another extremely rare -- and valuable -- high grade comic.

The lessons for the high grade collector? 1) Exponential Value Theory means that the price of the "one grade below" has NOTHING to do with the price of the book "one grade above." 2) Valuing a comic is a complicated process that consists of many many variables and you'd better be aware of them before you buy (or sell). 3) ANYONE spending more than cover price on a comic is spending more money than the average Kenyan earns in a day. And 4) if you find a super high grade "popular" book with few others listed on the CGC census, act immediately, or lose the book (and be prepared to give your left nut for the book you want -- I, by the way, am now sans ballz).

Thus endeth the lesson.

FYI... Pedigree cashed the check today.

Speaking of people not forgetting folks' histories, the seller--"Pedigree"--added a little coin to his empire when the professor's check was duly cashed.

Edited by cloudofwit

This is why I sometimes think it is safer to pick up 9.6 copies of certain books instead of 9.8 copies especially when their exists posabilities of 9.9's and even a 10.0.

There's nothing wrong with buying 9.8s, 9.9s or 10.0s. But what you shouldn't do is overpay for a book in those grades in the expectations that it will be and remain the best copy in existence, particularly if you're talking about a book that was published after 1975.

There's nothing wrong with buying 9.8s, 9.9s or 10.0s. But what you shouldn't do is overpay for a book in those grades in the expectations that it will be and remain the best copy in existence, particularly if you're talking about a book that was published after 1975.

Oh, I should have clarified that. I actually own two 9.9's of a certain comic. However, I do not believe that buying the top graded copy of a modern book is always smart as there are many others out there that could potentially qualify to be assessed at the same grade.

I believe that the risk in buying the "highest graded" copy decreases with the older the book.