• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Ah leave him alone. He was happy to buy the book.

We all learn stuff as time passes.

He might still be happy with the book. He might not be.

Either way, live and learn.

He'd probably get a pass, if he hadn't come in with:

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way).

That sort of hubris will earn you an 'I told you so' every time. lol

:popcorn:

EXAMPLES A THROUGH E as though he was giving a dissertation that us children could never hope to understand :eyeroll: didn't help either.

He acted like a Class A jack-spoon so the I told you so's are warranted as you say ;)

He could just as easily have come in here and said 'yeah I paid a lot but I love the book and am very happy with the purchase' and no one would be saying boo.

Instead it became a thread for the ages :cloud9:

giggle.jpg

I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

:bump:

Untitled-13.jpg

That thing sunk like a lead balloon. :roflmao:

mister economics professor may play one at his place of work, but either he doesn't know shiest about how the comic book marketplace works for 9.9 and 10.0 prices on wildly, superly, enormously popluar books of which they printed sixteen pantloads.

or he does, and he's ignoring it.

there's certainly enough evidence to parse out an answer but gosh if i have the time or energy to do so

mister economics professor may play one at his place of work, but either he doesn't know shiest about how the comic book marketplace works for 9.9 and 10.0 prices on wildly, superly, enormously popluar books of which they printed sixteen pantloads.

there's certainly enough evidence to parse out an answer but gosh if i have the time or energy to do so

That's great! :applause: I hate to be an "I told you so" kind of guy,but......... :whistle:

That's great! :applause: I hate to be an "I told you so" kind of guy,but......... :whistle:

lol

Many great economists are actually investors.

Keynes was one of the few exceptions.

True. For example, I have learned that I will never be wealthy enough to blow $12,000 on a rare comic book that essentially features a violent version of Howard the Duck who's costume was ripped off from Deathstroke and drawn by the worst comic book illustrator of all time.

Who would spend $12,000 on a comic drawn by Frank Robbins? ???

Not as bad as Liefeld. And he can draw feet.

Cap+by+Frank+Robbins.JPG

...and the guy has one left arm and one right arm.

...and they are on the correct sides.

You guys are insane. I'd rather look at Liefeld's art than that abomination any day.

True. For example, I have learned that I will never be wealthy enough to blow $12,000 on a rare comic book that essentially features a violent version of Howard the Duck who's costume was ripped off from Deathstroke and drawn by the worst comic book illustrator of all time.

Who would spend $12,000 on a comic drawn by Frank Robbins? ???

Not as bad as Liefeld. And he can draw feet.

Cap+by+Frank+Robbins.JPG

...and the guy has one left arm and one right arm.

...and they are on the correct sides.

You guys are insane. I'd rather look at Liefeld's art than that abomination any day.

Oddly enough, Robbins was an adequate newspaper strip artist who borrowed heavily from his hero, Milton Canniff.

His comic work is dreadful of course, but he's better than Liefeld. At least Robbins could do facial expressions.

Many great economists are actually investors.

Keynes was one of the few exceptions.

Very true.

The proof is in the pudding. Anybody can analyze a theory, talk a storm and read text books and recite them.

The real geniuses are the ones that consistently rise above the pack and pull ahead.

We have some of the most "brilliant minds" in the world in power and they continue to run the population into the ground.

Wow, who is this Boston Corbett guy?

Hey Boston: put another way, the flaw in your argument:

These prices only hold until the next copy pops up and the next sale.

Example A: Hero For Hire # 1 in 9.8 sold in the last Comiclink auction last month for only $2,700, compared to its prior single sale of $15,000.

The last 9.6 sale is listed on Comiclink as $1,077, a far cry from the $3,000 you cite above.

Example D: Iron Fist 14. You paid $2,100 for your 9.8 copy? Great. GPA shows the 12-month average for 9.8 at a mere $1,163 and falling. Last sale was a mere $926.

Paying $2,100 for your 9.8? A good way to lose 60% of your money.

Let's not forget that he ALSO mentioned during his econ lesson that he was also the proud owner of the first Luke Cage 1 9.8. So, you know, at least he is consistent at flushing his money down the toilet. Funny that the Econ professor is the one with the worst grasp on the subject. I feel sorry for his students.

Wow, what news!!! $12,250!! :o

giggle.gif

Now that there are six 9.9's the book is probably worth a thousand bucks,gotta love speculators. lol

Yeah, but the first 10 that pops up can take it to the bank. :whee:

Wow, who is this Boston Corbett guy?

Hey Boston: put another way, the flaw in your argument:

These prices only hold until the next copy pops up and the next sale.

Example A: Hero For Hire # 1 in 9.8 sold in the last Comiclink auction last month for only $2,700, compared to its prior single sale of $15,000.

The last 9.6 sale is listed on Comiclink as $1,077, a far cry from the $3,000 you cite above.

Example D: Iron Fist 14. You paid $2,100 for your 9.8 copy? Great. GPA shows the 12-month average for 9.8 at a mere $1,163 and falling. Last sale was a mere $926.

Paying $2,100 for your 9.8? A good way to lose 60% of your money.

Let's not forget that he ALSO mentioned during his econ lesson that he was also the proud owner of the first Luke Cage 1 9.8. So, you know, at least he is consistent at flushing his money down the toilet. Funny that the Econ professor is the one with the worst grasp on the subject. I feel sorry for his students.

From a person who hates emoticons... :o

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS 'Greater fool theory' at it's finest...

Edited by mintcollector

he's a modern-day Moon Knight. or Ghost Rider.

Moon Knight is offended by this comment. Ghost Rider probably is too, but I can't speak for him. ;)

Edited by sl4ppy