• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

There's nothing wrong with buying 9.8s, 9.9s or 10.0s. But what you shouldn't do is overpay for a book in those grades in the expectations that it will be and remain the best copy in existence, particularly if you're talking about a book that was published after 1975.

Oh, I should have clarified that. I actually own two 9.9's of a certain comic. However, I do not believe that buying the top graded copy of a modern book is always smart as there are many others out there that could potentially qualify to be assessed at the same grade.

I believe that the risk in buying the "highest graded" copy decreases with the older the book.

Reminds me of the Revival cgc 10.0 sale.

So, I saw this newly listed this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-9-W-MINT-1st-appearance-of-Deadpool-RARE-Only-1-of-11-/222675903800?hash=item33d884a538:g:D9gAAOSwOrlZ3vyT

The seller's id has "professor" in it.  Boston Corbett was a professor ... is this him and his copy?  hm

6 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-9-W-MINT-1st-appearance-of-Deadpool-RARE-Only-1-of-11-/222675903800?hash=item33d884a538:g:D9gAAOSwOrlZ3vyT

The seller's id has "professor" in it.  Boston Corbett was a professor ... is this him and his copy?  hm

I like that he's trying to create some movie speculation by saying there "might" be a Deadpool 2 in February. His logic on this is flawless.

7 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Professor Pecora is a CGC board member; you may  look at his Incredible Hulk 180-182 registry set if you wish (Edit: which he may have sold http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-8-W-1st-full-appearance-of-Wolverine-1-COPY-/222632598238?nma=true&si=Oz7MbzUcrzFPRfEjhi%2FJwyaNjUY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557); and I do not believe that he is Boston Corbett.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Insert an eBay sale of an IH 181 CGC 9.8.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

No offense, but anyone who is paying that kind of money for a common modern book is just gonna dig up a huge hole to get out of.

Sounds to me like you fell asleep in Boston's economics class instead of paying close attention to his words of wisdom when it comes to investing successfully in sure fire guaranteed highest graded winners like NM 98  . (tsk)  :jaws:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds to me like you fell asleep in Boston's economics class instead of paying close attention to his words of wisdom when it comes to investing successfully in sure fire guaranteed highest graded winners like NM 98  . (tsk)  :jaws:

Sarcasm rules.:headbang:

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

#themoreyoupaythemoreitsworth (:

Edited by delekkerste

I miss Boston Corbett :cry:

Well, 8 years ago it was insane.   Then it dipped to a more realistic 3-4k and then as the character grew and the movie came out, the value rose and got insane again.

Paying 12k 8 years ago was incredibly foolish.    Given the risk on that purchase you'd want it to be 30k now to have made the gamble worth it.

On 5/24/2013 at 1:46 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
oakman29 said:
  BlowUpTheMoon said:
  chrisco37 said:
  Boston Corbett said:
I have a few questions for our board appointed economics professors (I play one at the local University in real life, by the way). What is the comic worth if...

1. There was at least one other person willing to pay $12,350 on the eve of the auction? ANSWER: $12,350 (to that other person, at least on that particular day). That's not including the other bidders who dropped out before reaching this number. And, interestingly, the buyer (me) already had offers from colleagues who collect high grade books for a significant "return" on my "investment." Go figure.

2. What is it worth to people who find ZERO intrinsic value in this particular issue in this particular grade? ANSWER: $0 Thus, I will likely not attempt to sell any of my high grade comics to members of this board. For instance, G.I. Joe issue #21, even if a 9.9 pops up, is still worth crapola, and I will never ever own a copy. Why? It has absolutley ZERO intrinsic value for me (and G.I. Joe really really does suck donkey ballz).

:bump:

Untitled-13.jpg

That thing sunk like a lead balloon. :roflmao:

Just to do a followup on my original post:

follow_zps66d51e9c.jpg

nm.thumb.jpg.7d9a3d9a9c238feec485ff4aa4eeb44d.jpg

48 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

1.jpg.cc2653666e04d9ed03040af89b82a52f.jpg

Well, if the old economics prof (i.e. Boston Corbett himself) was still around these parts, I am sure he would wait until the 25th next week and then pronounce it loud and clear to all us once again:  :preach:

Thus endeth the lesson!!!  lol