• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1,000,000 Frazetta painting confirmed

183 posts in this topic

" It's just silly and ignorant to call Warhol "trash" - he had a far greater impact on American culture than Frazetta and, whether you like it or not, he is at the head of a major movement in art history"

Something having a great impact on America doesn't preclude it from being trash, does it?

(Especially when you consider we are quickly becoming, or have become, a trash, low brow culture.)

low brow trash or not

I think comic book and some illustration art has greater cultural significance then shark in formaldehyde

Whats interesting about art is that whats hot today may not be hot tomorrow and vice vice.

The cannonization of the relevancy of 20th century art may indeed need the distance of time to ascertain what deserves the greater value as ascribed by its relevancy

To that end, I would bet Kirby, Ditko, Steranko, or Frazetta has more relevancy in the long run than shark in formaldehyde

The cannonization of the relevancy of 20th century art may indeed need the distance of time to ascertain what deserves the greater value as ascribed by its relevancy

To that end, I would bet Kirby, Ditko, Steranko, or Frazetta has more relevancy in the long run than shark in formaldehyde

That's a steep hill to climb considering that even after three international blockbuster movies, hardly anyone could mention Stan Lee by name, let alone Steve Ditko, as the creators of Spider-Man. And you expect them to want to buy the coffee-stained pen and ink drawings, too?

Yet, shown a photo of the shark in formaldehyde, the vast majority of the art world could name the artist and other works he has done.

For my money, Hirst and Warhol didn't sell their art, they sold their spin.

Their careers have been built on PR and that was enough to stir art buyers. The art market is much like the movie business (sayeth William Goldman, "Nobody knows anything") and everybody wants a piece of the next big thing. Hirst and Warhol did a brilliant job of positioning themselves as the Next Big Thing.

If people only bought what they loved, nobody would have bought Hirst and Warhol.

About Frazetta: I love his work and he's influenced almost every great comic art illustrator that's alive today but he is absolutely under the radar with real world media. I read two newspapers daily and both papers mentioned Warhol's recent sales.

Neither mentioned the FF sale. Hard to believe it made a ripple in the media's pond if they won't even report on it.

That's a steep hill to climb considering that even after three international blockbuster movies, hardly anyone could mention Stan Lee by name, let alone Steve Ditko, as the creators of Spider-Man. And you expect them to want to buy the coffee-stained pen and ink drawings, too?

I agree with Ditko but I think Stan Lee is a household name. He is a bit of a celebrity these days. From cameos to playing himself in the Jay and Silent Bob movie Mallrats he gets around,

You might be suprized how many movies and TV shows he appeared in

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0498278/

If that wasn't enough any kid growing up had to hear him announce his name at the start of each and every Spiderman cartoon back in the late 70's early 80's "This is Stan Lee....."

$1,000,000 is probably 2-3 times what this painting should sell for.

I have nothing against Frazetta at all. I've always enjoyed his work but when you get into the $250,000 and up range of illustration art you've reached Gil Elvgren, Rockwell, and Haddon Sundblom levels.

Even most Vargas and Petty pieces can be had for under $100,000

I hope the buyer of this painting loves it more than anything as it is a nice piece but not one that's going to see $1,000,000 out of it for a long time to come.

Also, I would argue that even Death Dealer at auction would have a hard time breaking the 6 figure mark.

The pool of buyers to afford such a piece is pretty small.

I have nothing against Frazetta at all. I've always enjoyed his work but when you get into the $250,000 and up range of illustration art you've reached Gil Elvgren, Rockwell, and Haddon Sundblom levels.

I hope the buyer of this painting loves it more than anything as it is a nice piece but not one that's going to see $1,000,000 out of it for a long time to come.

Also, I would argue that even Death Dealer at auction would have a hard time breaking the 6 figure mark.

:roflmao:

I'm sorry, but whenever someone talks about a unique piece of artwork and what it "should" sell for it makes me laugh. In reality, it "should" sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In this case it's $1 million dollars.

Talking about Rockwell being in the $250,000 strata might have been true 25 years ago. Rockwell's started cracking the million dollar barrier over 13 years ago at public auction and are far beyond that figure today

And the comment about dealer dealer not breaking 6 figures, maybe you aren't aware of what Frazetta sells for but his pencil and ink Famous Funnies covers have broken six figures pretty easily. How in the world can you make a statement that perhaps his most well known and famous oil painting would not attain the same levels much less blow them out of the water?

The pool of buyers for Frazetta is rather large in actuality. It goes far beyond the Comic Art crowd. Frazetta has been offered numbers substantially above all of your estimates for several of his paintings over the years. Maybe we can bring Ahhhhh-Nold onto the CGC forum and he can talk about trying to pry the Conan and Death Dealer paintings from Frank for numbers roughly about 15 times your estimates with no luck.

I am not trying to come down on you but you are way way wayyyyyy off on your estimates, values, and projections.

Best,

Chris

I don't agree with most of this post, but I particularly disagree with the implication that Elvgren paintings are worth more than most Frazetta paintings.

I have owned and sold paintings by both artists.. Frazetta's values couldn't more clearly exceed Elvgren on nearly every level.

Rich

No offense, but you are quite ill informed in this regard.

Scott Williams

No offense, but you are quite ill informed in this regard.

Scott Williams

maybe he meant seven figure mark at auction. After all he says the conan should have sold for $333k or $500k. Certainly if he considers the conan worth that much, $100k for death dealer must have been a typo. He must mean $1m at auction... at which level he might have a point if people had the willingness to pay seven figures but not the ready cash.

I've been using Askart.com since it's inception.

Frazetta's highest auction result occured in 2003 for a hammer price of $120,750 for this painting:

6824.jpg

Granted Askart doesn't track all private sales (kinda like the GPA of art) but I doubt there are many provable sales of Frazetta over the half a million mark.

BTW Frazetta's average price per square inch is $415

Now let's look at Elvgren.

Elvgren's record price according to askart.com is $262,900 which occured June of last year.

His average price per square inch is $365

Rockwell:

In Nov. of '06 this painting achieved a whopping $15,416,000

16.jpg

Norman's average price per square inch $7,962

Vargas:

Oct. 04 $89,625

Average price per square inch $607

Sundblom:

May 2000 $154,000

Also, strictly for comparison, Jack Kirby's record price is $41,810 with an average square inch price of $160

Not exactly sure what it is that I'm "not getting" as it seems pretty clear to me that through world wide auction sales records that Frazetta doesn't hold a candle price-wise to other illustrators.

Askart.com only shows two Frazetta auctions ever over the $100,000 mark with Elvrgren showing 10 paintings over that. (3 over $200,000)

Also important to note, Elvrgrens sell-through rate is 92% at auction out of 132 pieces and Frazetta's is only 70% out of 232

I'd also like to add another artist known for comics.

Carl Barks

Barks' record is $155,350 with 5 pieces over the $100k mark and an average square inch price of $1,634

EDIT ABOUT FRAZETTA

Doing a quick search I find that the previous Frazetta record was an All Star Auctions hammer price of $251,000 in '08

A quarter million is a long way from a million and I stand by my statement that Frazetta isn't worth a million, even for Death Dealer

A quarter million is a long way from a million and I stand by my statement that Frazetta isn't worth a million, even for Death Dealer

You're going to be standing alone I'm afraid. I don't think you're going to get one person on these boards to agree with you. Maybe do a little more research other than Askart.com and you might be enlightened

Frazetta's highest auction result occured in 2003 for a hammer price of $120,750 for this painting:

6824.jpg

Granted Askart doesn't track all private sales (kinda like the GPA of art) but I doubt there are many provable sales of Frazetta over the half a million mark.

Elvgren's record price according to askart.com is $262,900 which occured June of last year.

Rockwell:

16.jpg

Vargas:

Oct. 04 $89,625

Sundblom:

May 2000 $154,000

Also, strictly for comparison, Jack Kirby's record price is $41,810 with an average square inch price of $160

Not exactly sure what it is that I'm "not getting" as it seems pretty clear to me that through world wide auction sales records that Frazetta doesn't hold a candle price-wise to other illustrators.

Askart.com only shows two Frazetta auctions ever over the $100,000 mark with Elvrgren showing 10 paintings over that. (3 over $200,000)

Also important to note, Elvrgrens sell-through rate is 92% at auction out of 132 pieces and Frazetta's is only 70% out of 232

AskArt is not a very good way to go for this. Frazetta has held onto a lot of his best stuff and has turned down offers from people like Ahnold in the past.

You're going to be standing alone I'm afraid. I don't think you're going to get one person on these boards to agree with you. Maybe do a little more research other than Askart.com and you might be enlightened

Of course no one on these boards will agree with me because this is a COMIC FORUM

If it were a regular art forum I'm sure plenty would agree.

Nice number of posts since '05 BTW

Two quick questions...

How much is the subscription to ASKART? I see it pop up in searches all the time but I never went any farther with it.

You know that Kirby number is low right? I can think of many pieces that have exceeded that price.

6824.jpg

Rockwell:

16.jpg

Vargas:

Oct. 04 $89,625

Sundblom:

May 2000 $154,000

As much as I love Frazetta - I dont think he has ever done a painting that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling that a Rockwell does .

As much as I love Frazetta - I dont think he has ever done a painting that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling that a Rockwell does .

I always thought Rockwell was too contrived and schmaltzy. I always preferred JC Leyendecker. I really lost interest/respect for Rockwell when I read about their early relationship and how so many things considered "Rockwellian" were taken from Leyendecker.

BTW, I fell in love with Frazetta's work when I was a little kid way before I even remember reading a comic. Something about those hips he likes to paint on women. Even as a little boy they seduced me. Then when I first saw the Death Dealer, well, it was almost a religious experience.