• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where To Now?

47 posts in this topic

It's been no secret that the last couple of months have been hard for me financially, with the camels back finally breaking this week as the outgoings exceeded the incomings by a record amount. I've been slowly moving books over the last couple of months, ones I thought I could live without, the miswraps, the below 9.0s, the non-keys...

Today saw the culmination of the decimation of my Bronze Batman collection, and I really don't know how I feel about it. My collecting tastes have naturally changed over the last year and a bit that I've been back into funny books, but instead of concentrating on an era, I concentrated on one title and tried to fill in runs of as many ages as I could. I was picking up 8.5s, 9.0s, 9.4s just because they were Batman books, but now the keys are gone I don't know where to go.

I've found myself looking at Copper 9.4s and finding they do nothing for me. Modern 9.6 SS books no longer give me that buzz I had when I bought them. So I'm asking myself do I strip myself down to the bare basics by selling every book that doesn't give me that buzz and start again afresh when I get back on my feet?

The trouble I have is where do I focus? I love my Bronze Batbooks, but 9.8s are out of my reach. I thought about completing a run from 100 - present in raw with grades varying as the books get older, but that doesn't tickle my fancy either.

I think a lot of this despondency comes from the rough luck I've had on deals the past year and selling books I loved. I am under no illusion that I'm the first collector to be in this situation, and was just wondering what other people did when their collection needed rebuilding. I'm thinking of just going for a Walking Dead 9.8 run and to hell with it.

Time for a beer.

Raw, raw, raw.

For me....being the Bats fan that I am....nothing gets me exicted like my raw collection.

For me...once it's slabbed, it's just a commodity that needs to be sold.

But raw...I can open up, flip through...smell...read....

I'm telling you, tracking down the last few issues of my #100-up run was a blast. Every single one of them is in different condition, and every single one of them is a treasure.

Wish I could continue working on my below #100 collection...I've got 20 or so....but man, are they expensive.

Seriously....there are few things in the comic collecting world more fulfilling than complete(d) runs.

:cloud9:

So I'm asking myself do I strip myself down to the bare basics by selling every book that doesn't give me that buzz and start again afresh when I get back on my feet?

Time for a beer.

that totally sucks; I'm sorry to hear it... I'm flirting with hitting that tipping point right now too, and I think your "selling everything that doesn't..." is a great way to go. Plus it sounds like you have stuff that you could actually move, so that's a huge plus.

Definitely don't go further in debt just to keep funnybooks. Even if you have to buy them back later for a tremendous markup, it's doubtful that it will cost you more than the interest and/or fees would cost you now by trying to keep those things.

I say pull the trigger... and, of course, there should always be a few bucks for a beer or six.

Best of luck!

Raw, raw, raw.

For me....being the Bats fan that I am....nothing gets me exicted like my raw collection.

For me...once it's slabbed, it's just a commodity that needs to be sold.

But raw...I can open up, flip through...smell...read....

I'm telling you, tracking down the last few issues of my #100-up run was a blast. Every single one of them is in different condition, and every single one of them is a treasure.

Wish I could continue working on my below #100 collection...I've got 20 or so....but man, are they expensive.

Seriously....there are few things in the comic collecting world more fulfilling than complete(d) runs.

:cloud9:

I've got about 50% of the run in raw, maybe I just need some time to kick back and take a breather and find the buzz that collecting that run gave me in the first place.

I even sold my pre-#100 books a while ago. Now I really regret that :cry:

I sorta know how you feel, Gav - I had to sell a major key X-Men I had this year just to pay bills. It's not something I want to do again, either... I can't explain it well, but I love my comic books. I don't have too many, and the majority I bought off the rack/shelf and cared for since new. There are so many other things I would rather get rid of first, but none of them are as profitable (and quick-selling) as these pamphlets.

Good luck, however you may decide - I'm sure it will be right for you.

-slym

Boozad,

I feel for ya. Up until recently the only books I had at all were ASM 238 and 300 that were key due to financial hardships. The first thing to go is always the "luxuries" like comics.

If something doesn't grab you anymore then there's no point in holding onto it even if the value is deflated since when you bought. If TWD 9.8 is where your collecting aspirations are now then I support this and wish you luck.

There's always been books to me that are nostalgic and aren't worth a whole lot like Web of Spider-Man 81, Amazing Spider-Man 352, and Spider-Man 14 (90s series) that are the first issues I ever owned and those I will keep on holding onto probably until I die. There's also a key issue I bought this year that I'll probably never let go Nova # 1 as it's Nova's first appearance (ASM 352 comes into play in this) and at some point I want to get a really sweet copy of ASM 101 (Spider-Man 14 plays here) but by no means do I feel like I have to have every single comic ever created.

What you have to do is collect what does strike your fancy and if the Bat Books you want are too costly right now, put that on hold and keep on walking with the dead.

It's been no secret that the last couple of months have been hard for me financially, with the camels back finally breaking this week as the outgoings exceeded the incomings by a record amount. I've been slowly moving books over the last couple of months, ones I thought I could live without, the miswraps, the below 9.0s, the non-keys...

Today saw the culmination of the decimation of my Bronze Batman collection, and I really don't know how I feel about it. My collecting tastes have naturally changed over the last year and a bit that I've been back into funny books, but instead of concentrating on an era, I concentrated on one title and tried to fill in runs of as many ages as I could. I was picking up 8.5s, 9.0s, 9.4s just because they were Batman books, but now the keys are gone I don't know where to go.

I've found myself looking at Copper 9.4s and finding they do nothing for me. Modern 9.6 SS books no longer give me that buzz I had when I bought them. So I'm asking myself do I strip myself down to the bare basics by selling every book that doesn't give me that buzz and start again afresh when I get back on my feet?

The trouble I have is where do I focus? I love my Bronze Batbooks, but 9.8s are out of my reach. I thought about completing a run from 100 - present in raw with grades varying as the books get older, but that doesn't tickle my fancy either.

I think a lot of this despondency comes from the rough luck I've had on deals the past year and selling books I loved. I am under no illusion that I'm the first collector to be in this situation, and was just wondering what other people did when their collection needed rebuilding. I'm thinking of just going for a Walking Dead 9.8 run and to hell with it.

Time for a beer.

Ive pretty much set my collection to the side.What I buy is for resale.

I found a original owner late silver early broze collection.It will all be for sale.

Maybe if I do well enough I can get my ditko page...

I think 90% of the trouble for me is I'm a 'I like that, I've gotta have it' kind of person. It was all good up until February as I was in a position to get what I wanted. But as one thing happened after another the funds quickly started drying up.

What with paying for my mom, dad, and the wife losing her job the bank was just hemorrhaging money and something had to give. I'm going to sit down abd go through my slabs, and anything that doesn't do it for me anymore will be off to eBay. I'd sell them on here, but nobody Stateside is going to buy a Batman #404 9.4 from me when shipping would make the price of the book ridiculous!

Oh well, at least the beer is good.

Time for a beer.

Sorry to hear the despondency Booz, take this with a grain of salt coming from a Bronze Age Marvel Horror Zombie, but WBN, TOD and GR are very fun runs to complete and then cull out for a sweet HG raw run, as you go along and all three are steady sellers, just my 2c, and keep your chin up.....especially when pounding that brewski......and remember.....YOU ARE BOOZAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just quit. Don't buy anything. When you come across something that fills the comic book void, you'll now it.

I couldn't quit Jim. I have books I just couldn't part with, I managed to keep one of those today (thumbs u

I'll stand back and get some perspective, then clear the chaff so I have a core set of books I can build on as and when I can.

Just quit. Don't buy anything. When you come across something that fills the comic book void, you'll now it.

I couldn't quit Jim. I have books I just couldn't part with, I managed to keep one of those today (thumbs u

I'll stand back and get some perspective, then clear the chaff so I have a core set of books I can build on as and when I can.

I don't mean to sell everything. I mean to actively quit buying until you find something that's your thing.

At one time, I unloaded everything except my X-Men 41. It became the basis for what I now collect. I actually owe that move to Danny. He wanted it so bad that he kept asking and asking for it. I kept it mainly because it was so much fun telling him no. lol

1. Don't go to the Marketplace threads. That will help curb the "gotta have it" bug.

2. I agree with Jim (I don't think he meant "quit-quit"). Just take it easy. You don't need to buy something every day/week/month. Something will come along that'll get you, and you'll know it when it does. Batman is your thing...luckily, like Spidey, you don't need to "buy it right now". There are plenty more down the line (unless we're talking early GA, which I'm not).

I agree Dr. Watson.

I did the same thing back in 1993 fresh out of grad school. It was simple, I was broke and got plenty of student loans and no saving. Besides, the comics back then really sucked as far as I am concerned and the thought of buying and "hoping" they will be worth more some days didn't even cross my mind. I got plenty of books from the late 80's to 1993 that worth nothing so I learned long ago, if you buy for new comics other than pure enjoyment...you are doomed to waste your money unless you are lucky to have NM 98 in 9.9.

I left the hobby and didn't even go to a store for 6 years to prevent any temptations.

I feel for you Gav (not to be confused with feeling you bunnydance.gif)

I sold my entire X-men collection about 7 years ago when I signed up on Ebay. It had the entire byrne run and the BEST copy of #101 I've ever seen before and since. I shipped it in a mailing envelope with no cardboard. It was crinkled and apparently now VG after the PO got done with it. I received a negative and got booted from Ebay. Learned a little since then ;)

I have since in the last couple of years purchased 10 complete Byrne runs and will be selling a couple of them in the next week.

I will always be looking for the highest graded copies in BA X-men but when it is needed they are out the door. I get to have my fun all over again. If you've lost the passion for them then even better. Sell and move on!! I've only read WD #1 but hey it's good so far :)

Look to the future my man!! I sold my entire X-men collection and I am now sitting beside a box containing fresh Byrne X-men CGC including one of my favourite character's 1st appearance (9.8 with WP I may add) :cloud9: As for the 101? With any luck that 9.8 will be on its way to me in the new year!!

I don't mean to sell everything. I mean to actively quit buying until you find something that's your thing.

At one time, I unloaded everything except my X-Men 41. It became the basis for what I now collect. I actually owe that move to Danny. He wanted it so bad that he kept asking and asking for it. I kept it mainly because it was so much fun telling him no. lol

I get ya. I've actually been pretty good lately, there have been five books over the last two months that would have been stonewall purchases but I held back.

Christmas is coming up so I may have to stay off the boards for a while. I think last Christmas cost me around $2,000 on the boards after drinking too much red wine. i was waking up in a morning thinking 'how much do I owe out oday?' as I just couldn't remember how many times I'd :takeit: the night before :insane: