• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So there are more TMNT #1`s in existent then Action 1 and Detective 27 combined?

50 posts in this topic

I just got off the phone with The Watcher, and here are the stats:

Action #1 - 279 complete copies existing, plus 22 coverless and 17 missing centerfolds.

Detective #27 - 241 complete copies existing, plus 31 coverless and 16 missing centerfolds.

TMNT #1 (1st) 2610 copies existing. There was an additional copy until yesterday, when Tony Latham's copy that he'd left in a box of comics in his parents Troy NY basement when he went off to college in 1986 was thrown out by his mother because the box smelled musty. To be fair she asked Tony (now living in Denver) first. He asked a friend if comics from the 1980's were worth anything, and was told "not unless you took really good care of them". Recalling that he used to fold the covers back while reading them, he told his mother to toss them.

Hope that helps.

Action #1 - 279 complete copies existing, plus 22 coverless and 17 missing centerfolds.

Detective #27 - 241 complete copies existing, plus 31 coverless and 16 missing centerfolds.

TMNT #1 (1st) 2610 copies existing. There was an additional copy until yesterday, when Tony Latham's copy that he'd left in a box of comics in his parents Troy NY basement when he went off to college in 1986 was thrown out by his mother because the box smelled musty. To be fair she asked Tony (now living in Denver) first. He asked a friend if comics from the 1980's were worth anything, and was told "not unless you took really good care of them". Recalling that he used to fold the covers back while reading them, he told his mother to toss them.

Hope that helps.

um, not really lol

Hope that helps.

How did Angelo surmise this information????? hm

Maybe he is "the Watcher" in real life.....

Hope that helps.

How did Angelo surmise this information????? hm

Maybe he is "the Watcher" in real life.....

tarot cards :insane:

Not to sound trite, but ultimately, what's the intent behind asking this question?

Is TMNT #1 more rare than Tec 27 and Action 1? [My paraphrase] "If it is how could comicbooks with gigantic print runs be so rare?" [OP's words]

Ultimately, I think the real question on the table here is whether or not we can look at TMNT as the next blue chip. Rick and I chatted a little about this over in the "AF 15 Club" thread over in the SA subforum w/ regards to AF 15. What I gathered from that discussion was you have the following characteristics that create the true blue chip book:

1. Low supply / Availability: This can be caused either by lower print runs (i.e. TMNT 1) or by other factors such as low initial collection and high use where kids read 'em and tossed 'em (i.e. Action 1 and Tec 27) and lower quality production materials causing loss of books in higher grades or altogether.

2. High Demand: Depending on what is "hot," movies and other pop culture movements can bring various IP into the forefront and stimulate desire, i.e. movie hype, death of a character getting headlines, etc.

3. Dissemination into the Cultural Consciousness: This is when a particular IP becomes ingrained in the forefront of pop culture and "earns a seat" in the mainstream culture to the point where even non-comic fans are familiar with the character, background, etc, to varying extents. The more ingrained, the longer term desire present, the more a part of pop culture this character (and therefore related issues) become.

The more a particular issue has of these characteristics, the more likely it seems that it will strengthen that particular issue's position as a blue chip book. Anyhow, sorry if I'm off the mark on this, but it just seems like we're really going in circles around the bigger issues of WHY is it important to know about the difference between the print runs and available issues of GA blue chips over a particular Copper/Modern Age comic.

2c

1+

Not to sound trite, but ultimately, what's the intent behind asking this question?

Is TMNT #1 more rare than Tec 27 and Action 1? [My paraphrase] "If it is how could comicbooks with gigantic print runs be so rare?" [OP's words]

Ultimately, I think the real question on the table here is whether or not we can look at TMNT as the next blue chip. Rick and I chatted a little about this over in the "AF 15 Club" thread over in the SA subforum w/ regards to AF 15. What I gathered from that discussion was you have the following characteristics that create the true blue chip book:

1. Low supply / Availability: This can be caused either by lower print runs (i.e. TMNT 1) or by other factors such as low initial collection and high use where kids read 'em and tossed 'em (i.e. Action 1 and Tec 27) and lower quality production materials causing loss of books in higher grades or altogether.

2. High Demand: Depending on what is "hot," movies and other pop culture movements can bring various IP into the forefront and stimulate desire, i.e. movie hype, death of a character getting headlines, etc.

3. Dissemination into the Cultural Consciousness: This is when a particular IP becomes ingrained in the forefront of pop culture and "earns a seat" in the mainstream culture to the point where even non-comic fans are familiar with the character, background, etc, to varying extents. The more ingrained, the longer term desire present, the more a part of pop culture this character (and therefore related issues) become.

The more a particular issue has of these characteristics, the more likely it seems that it will strengthen that particular issue's position as a blue chip book. Anyhow, sorry if I'm off the mark on this, but it just seems like we're really going in circles around the bigger issues of WHY is it important to know about the difference between the print runs and available issues of GA blue chips over a particular Copper/Modern Age comic.

2c

To let the modern,silver,bronze and copper age fans know just how rare and hard to get those golden age runs are. (thumbs u

Imagine if there were 3000 copies of Detective 27 or Action Comics 1 each around? TMNT 1 just doesn`t seem so rare now compared to them and TMNT 1 is the book considered hardest to get 1980 and up.

2c

To let the modern,silver,bronze and copper age fans know just how rare and hard to get those golden age runs are. (thumbs u

Imagine if there were 3000 copies of Detective 27 or Action Comics 1 each around? TMNT 1 just doesn`t seem so rare now compared to them and TMNT 1 is the book considered hardest to get 1980 and up.

So you are essentially confirming the point I was trying to make though: that there is a Copper/Modern Age book worthy of consideration of being considered a Blue Chip book because if we follow the logic further, and add on say, 50-75 years of life to TMNT 1, will there be as many of this issue as there are Action 1s and Tec 27s today?

I'm not arguing it at all--in fact, I think this is part of the reason this book has some real potential because it has permeated so many aspects of pop culture (movies, tv, video games, toys, etc, etc). I think it's only natural that this brand franchise's first appearance will be something with real longevity and investment value.

And I can't wait til mine returns with signed and slabbed from Sarasota! ;)

2c

So you are essentially confirming the point I was trying to make though: that there is a Copper/Modern Age book worthy of consideration of being considered a Blue Chip book because if we follow the logic further, and add on say, 50-75 years of life to TMNT 1, will there be as many of this issue as there are Action 1s and Tec 27s today?

I'm not arguing it at all--in fact, I think this is part of the reason this book has some real potential because it has permeated so many aspects of pop culture (movies, tv, video games, toys, etc, etc). I think it's only natural that this brand franchise's first appearance will be something with real longevity and investment value.

And I can't wait til mine returns with signed and slabbed from Sarasota! ;)

oh yeah no question TMNT 1 is a key and has historical significance,I just wanted to show the non-golden age collector what a different perspective it is if your collecting the golden age keys compared to the rest of the ages.Collecting the goldenage keys is at another level.

I have been told that even though TMNT #1 first print has a low print run of 3000 copies that it`s still more than the combined copies of Action 1-10 and Detective 27-37 combined that still exist. is this true? if it is how could comicbooks with gigantic print runs be so rare? Golden age keys than are a lot rarer than I thought if they make TMNT#1 look like a common modern. hm

I just cannot see how there are more TMNT #1's than Action 1-10 and TEC 27-37 combined. There had to be a print run somewhere in the millions for all those combined issues. If there was print run of 100,000 per issue, that is 2 million issues, if only .25 % of those were still around, that is 5,000 copies. In addition, there are over 600 graded Actions and TEC's combined.

600 hundred is still lower than 3000.

ok

maybe not combined but pretty close as we have found out.

What is your point in comparing 600 graded issues to 3000 ungraded? My point in mentioning it was to illlustrate that 600 graded alone is a lot, especially comparing it to 3000 issues.

There are only 283 graded TMNT's vs 600 graded TEC's and Actions - is that better?

I have been told that even though TMNT #1 first print has a low print run of 3000 copies that it`s still more than the combined copies of Action 1-10 and Detective 27-37 combined that still exist. is this true? if it is how could comicbooks with gigantic print runs be so rare? Golden age keys than are a lot rarer than I thought if they make TMNT#1 look like a common modern. hm

I just cannot see how there are more TMNT #1's than Action 1-10 and TEC 27-37 combined. There had to be a print run somewhere in the millions for all those combined issues. If there was print run of 100,000 per issue, that is 2 million issues, if only .25 % of those were still around, that is 5,000 copies. In addition, there are over 600 graded Actions and TEC's combined.

600 hundred is still lower than 3000.

ok

maybe not combined but pretty close as we have found out.

What is your point in comparing 600 graded issues to 3000 ungraded? My point in mentioning it was to illlustrate that 600 graded alone is a lot, especially comparing it to 3000 issues.

There are only 283 graded TMNT's vs 600 graded TEC's and Actions - is that better?

It does get problematic when we compare apples to oranges...

:)