• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twilight smashes Dark Knights record on opening day!

163 posts in this topic

People's attraction to the series shouldn't be this hard to understand. In order to understand, you have to know the story, though.

(Just my opinion)

There's nothing new about the attractions. Contrary to some's opinions that we're encouraging our children to like monsters, the vampires that most are attracted to are monsters only by name. This series more resembles the Beauty & the Beast of LindaHamilton & RonPearlman than it does Dracula, etc. An unlikely hero so different from anything normal & @ odds w/ his nature that he is accepted by only the most desperate outcasts of society. So afraid of losing control that he can never truly be w/ Linda.

The hero of Twiseries & his family have sworn off drinking human blood for decades. The leader of the family using his semi-immortality to perfect his talents as a surgeon to help mankind, in spite of their surely killing him w/out reservation were they to know what his secrets are.

Now, vampires are exciting to teens because they get to stay up all night, possess an element of wildness & are immortal. But the Twiseries is more than just a vampire series. It's like a badly written harlequin romance. The main love interest (Edward) of the series is afraid he'll lose control & drink the main character's (bella) blood if he gets too physically into her so he always refrains from becoming too close. Intimacy is replaced by being protected & cherished. In the 2nd book, Edward feels his relationship w/ Bella puts her in danger, so he leaves to protect her. In his absentia, Bella is comforted by her best friend who is a "monster" (again, only by name) of a different kind. He pines for her affection but never takes advantage of her. Again, protecting & cherishing. This is why a large part (44%)** of Twihards are 25-44 as opposed to 35%** 25 & under. Twimoms love the thought of being protected & cherished w/out the trappings of male urges. That's not to say they don't want romance, but prefer it on their own terms. I don't presume to speak for all teens & women. The prior sentence is just observations I've made during conversations w/ family & friends who qualify as twimoms. I have read the books & watched the 1st movie. I'll refrain from the 2nd until it hits cable.

My opinions are:

a) I will have to say that the books aren't bad, but they're certainly NO literary masterpiece.

b) Christine Stewart needs acting lessons.

c) If I had a daughter, her worshiping an unrealistic boy & unrealistic relationship might keep her away from normal boys just a little bit longer.

I could be wrong... and probably am.

**statistics in USA TODAY 11-23-09

When I worked at Borders, a TwiMom chewed me out for not reading the books yet. She told me I was clearly un-educated. It was amazing.
That sucks big time.

I have worse stories then that. PM me some time if you ever need to be entertained!

When I worked at Borders, a TwiMom chewed me out for not reading the books yet. She told me I was clearly un-educated. It was amazing.
That sucks big time.

I have worse stories then that. PM me some time if you ever need to be entertained!

Why thank you.

People's attraction to the series shouldn't be this hard to understand. In order to understand, you have to know the story, though.

(Just my opinion)

There's nothing new about the attractions. Contrary to some's opinions that we're encouraging our children to like monsters, the vampires that most are attracted to are monsters only by name. This series more resembles the Beauty & the Beast of LindaHamilton & RonPearlman than it does Dracula, etc. An unlikely hero so different from anything normal & @ odds w/ his nature that he is accepted by only the most desperate outcasts of society. So afraid of losing control that he can never truly be w/ Linda.

The hero of Twiseries & his family have sworn off drinking human blood for decades. The leader of the family using his semi-immortality to perfect his talents as a surgeon to help mankind, in spite of their surely killing him w/out reservation were they to know what his secrets are.

Now, vampires are exciting to teens because they get to stay up all night, possess an element of wildness & are immortal. But the Twiseries is more than just a vampire series. It's like a badly written harlequin romance. The main love interest (Edward) of the series is afraid he'll lose control & drink the main character's (bella) blood if he gets too physically into her so he always refrains from becoming too close. Intimacy is replaced by being protected & cherished. In the 2nd book, Edward feels his relationship w/ Bella puts her in danger, so he leaves to protect her. In his absentia, Bella is comforted by her best friend who is a "monster" (again, only by name) of a different kind. He pines for her affection but never takes advantage of her. Again, protecting & cherishing. This is why a large part (44%)** of Twihards are 25-44 as opposed to 35%** 25 & under. Twimoms love the thought of being protected & cherished w/out the trappings of male urges. That's not to say they don't want romance, but prefer it on their own terms. I don't presume to speak for all teens & women. The prior sentence is just observations I've made during conversations w/ family & friends who qualify as twimoms. I have read the books & watched the 1st movie. I'll refrain from the 2nd until it hits cable.

My opinions are:

a) I will have to say that the books aren't bad, but they're certainly NO literary masterpiece.

b) Christine Stewart needs acting lessons.

c) If I had a daughter, her worshiping an unrealistic boy & unrealistic relationship might keep her away from normal boys just a little bit longer.

**statistics in USA TODAY 11-23-09

Nice post analyzing the phenomenon. (thumbs u

OOpS. People like that annoy the mess out of me.doof.gif I mean, I love sarcasm, but outright belittling? Dunno.gif That's SOME promotional strategy... loser3.gif

(Just my opinion)

blahblahblah.gif

Nice post analyzing the phenomenon. (thumbs u

Thank you ;)

Great comic. I'm lucky, my wife and I tried to sit and watch the first movie at home. She even agreed it was horrible. Never finished it. The Vampire glitter has to be one of the lamest things I have ever heard of. They remind me of Tinker Bell with fangs.