• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twilight smashes Dark Knights record on opening day!

163 posts in this topic

The movie is making kids happy.

I have to agree with this, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are really freaking bad.

I'm not worried about it beating TDK in sales--A movie was bound to come out eventually and beat out its opening weekend sales. I very highly doubt, however, that it will become the second highest grossing movie of all time. I am positive however, that it will have strong ticket sales through Thanksgiving...and then drop.

Oh, come on...we are big kids analyzing movies that were made for targeting babies.

They are doing what they are supposed to do.

If Twilight sucks, so does every Archie comic ever made.

IMO they are all great in their respective ways.

It's like you don't get my sarcasm or something.

I never said you were wrong--They are made for younger kids, and if it makes them happy then mazel tov. Most young adult vampire books are really bad, but Twilight somehow eclipsed (lol word play) and become literally a tour-de-force. It got a lot of kids who don't normally read too actually pick up a book, and that's never a bad thing. They're still horribly written.

And Archie comics are poorly written as well. I don't recall ever claiming they were the best things on Earth.

preteen girls are sheep. it has always been thus

lol As opposed to all the fanboys religiously flocking to whatever comic-related POS Hollywood deigns to bring to the big screen.

I`m reading this thread and just can`t shake the image of a glas :makepoint: s house.

Good point like all the fanboys who flocked to see Transformers 2 so far the highest grossing US picture of 2009.

One group goes and sees vampires, then another groups sees giant robots battle.

is there really much difference?

tf2.jpg

duh!

robots are not vampires!

lol

Dont worry, in a couple summers I am sure you will be seeing Killer Robot Vampires! :makepoint:

Some of the most fun I had watching a movie this year was Aliens in the Attic, can`t wait for the sequel.Aliens in the Attic made me laugh my arse off and to me wasn`t this long boring philosophical epic.

aliensintheattic.PNG

The movie is making kids happy.

I have to agree with this, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are really freaking bad.

I'm not worried about it beating TDK in sales--A movie was bound to come out eventually and beat out its opening weekend sales. I very highly doubt, however, that it will become the second highest grossing movie of all time. I am positive however, that it will have strong ticket sales through Thanksgiving...and then drop.

Oh, come on...we are big kids analyzing movies that were made for targeting babies.

They are doing what they are supposed to do.

If Twilight sucks, so does every Archie comic ever made.

IMO they are all great in their respective ways.

It's like you don't get my sarcasm or something.

I never said you were wrong--They are made for younger kids, and if it makes them happy then mazel tov. Most young adult vampire books are really bad, but Twilight somehow eclipsed (lol word play) and become literally a tour-de-force. It got a lot of kids who don't normally read too actually pick up a book, and that's never a bad thing. They're still horribly written.

And Archie comics are poorly written as well. I don't recall ever claiming they were the best things on Earth.

I think you missed my point. Archie comics and Twilight were made to make kids happy and they both achieved their goals which means that they are both great in their own rights.

I didn't see any sarcasm.

:foryou:

One group goes and sees vampires, then another group sees giant robots battle.

Don't be ridiculous.

If a vampire bites a robot the vampire gets hurt. If a robot bites a vampire the vampire gets hurt.

Everybody knows that robots are cooler than vampires.

Don't be ridiculous.

If a vampire bites a robot the vampire gets hurt. If a robot bites a vampire the vampire gets hurt.

What about werewolves?

Don't be ridiculous.

What about werewolves?

I've yet to see a robot choke on a furball.

Its also weird that all the pre-teen girl movies used to be about secretly being a princess and now they are about secretly dating a monster. WTF? What are we teaching girls today?

That being a princess isn't practical?

Come on, every body knows that girls like bad boys.

lol

Its also weird that all the pre-teen girl movies used to be about secretly being a princess and now they are about secretly dating a monster. WTF? What are we teaching girls today?

lol

I guess it does prepare them for adolescence, they meet a nice guy and then he turns out to be a blood thristy monster. So in a way, Twilight is all about realism.

lol

I guess it does prepare them for adolescence, they meet a nice guy and then he turns out to be a blood thristy monster. So in a way, Twilight is all about realism.

I imagine the appeal of vampires is immortality.

Seriously, people, are we really arguing which genre is "better" than another...?

They're genres. They appeal to different people for different reasons.

I thought Transformers 2 stank to high heaven, but it was redeemed because it had TONS of explody shots, and great film, for me, contains lots of explody shots. A horrible, awful, no plot, poorly acted movie like Starship Troopers is saved by lots of fireballs.

(For example, Independence Day is one of the greatest films ever made, and I've seen it 100+ times.)

But that's just MY preference.

If each film works for its respective audience, what does it matter? I didn't see Twilight, would never see Twilight, think Twilight should NOT have been allowed at SDCC, but that doesn't mean it's not WILDLY appealing to lots of people (supported by the lines of people formed around the block at the Burbank AMC 16 last night.)

There's no accounting...seriously...for taste, and as long as it works for enough people to be a success, more power to 'em.