• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how has the economy affected you?

187 posts in this topic

stopped buying lunch at restaurants. was spending about 10-12 a day.

switched from directv to AT&T Uverse for tv/internet. Bundled it and then with my work discount, will pay less for 200 more channels and 2x as fast interent.

carpool with the wife to save on gas.

went back to DCBS for new books.

putting extra money into house repairs/updates. doind most by ourself.

I am a stockbroker and make 50% less than I did 1 year ago. It hurts. I have a lot of stockbroker friends looking for work when the banking/stock market shocked the world. Cutback on all major spending. Back to the basics. I can't recall the last time we ate out. Plus we had our 1st baby. No FUN $$ anymore.

Luckily, there has been no real effect in our household.

I saw the storm clouds on the horizon long ago and started looking for a gig in local government back in 2005. It took three years, but my wife and I are now both in the local school system, and seem to have fairly good job security (my wife has her tenure now, and I've recently been asked to take on supervisory responsibilities in my department).

All my friends at my old job are either out of work or are working for less pay then they were making before. I don't envy any of them, and am thankful for my very good fortune. I spent my entire adult life in the private sector, and let me tell you, I have no wish to return. I've been downsized & outsourced too many times for my liking.

We are expecting our first baby in a month, so I've had to look at all of our expenses and reprioritize them. Plus there will be additional expenses (life insurance, health care for the baby, diapers :P ) that need to come out of the family budget.

Luckily, there has been no real effect in our household.

I saw the storm clouds on the horizon long ago and started looking for a gig in local government back in 2005. It took three years, but my wife and I are now both in the local school system, and seem to have fairly good job security (my wife has her tenure now, and I've recently been asked to take on supervisory responsibilities in my department).

All my friends at my old job are either out of work or are working for less pay then they were making before. I don't envy any of them, and am thankful for my very good fortune. I spent my entire adult life in the private sector, and let me tell you, I have no wish to return. I've been downsized & outsourced too many times for my liking.

What were your jobs in the private sector?

My wife, a civil engineer, was laid off earlier this year. Her salary was about twice what mine is, so we've had to cut back quite a bit, but through careful budgeting, we're doing fine. It's also allowed her months of quality time with our toddler.

stopped buying lunch at restaurants. was spending about 10-12 a day.

switched from directv to AT&T Uverse for tv/internet. Bundled it and then with my work discount, will pay less for 200 more channels and 2x as fast interent.

carpool with the wife to save on gas.

went back to DCBS for new books.

putting extra money into house repairs/updates. doind most by ourself.

How did "the economy" do anything to any of this? Why is "the economy" to blame for you trying to save more? doh! You should be proud that you aren't your money away anymore, but "the economy" has nothing to do with it.

Over the last 18 months my wife and I have taken about a 25% pay cut overall...

All my friends at my old job are either out of work or are working for less pay then they were making before.

My work got a new chancellor and within the first week of being there, he recnded raises that were already approved and went into effect this yer and already cancelled raises for next year.

Then, the next week, we lost our anniversary as a paid day off.

Ive been bothring my grandfather to go ahead and bring me in the company business now and let em learn from him instead of him passing and me learing on the fly.

His business is waste collection/removal for residental and commercial. There is always going to be trash and a small hauler will be cheaper then the big boys.

Plus, I would use the opportunity to get in good with all the storage places in his coverage areas and estate planners to try and turn up some books. :)

My wife, a civil engineer, was laid off earlier this year. Her salary was about twice what mine is, so we've had to cut back quite a bit, but through careful budgeting, we're doing fine. It's also allowed her months of quality time with our toddler.

Now that is certainly a huge benefit.

We officially received a 15% pay cut at my job unannounced until three days before it took effect. Our option was to resign and take a month's salary at the old rate or keep the job at the new rate.

Real figures it's actually a 25% pay cut because our bonuses have also been eliminated that were pretty much just built in during all prior years.

The real pisser is that we added two people to payroll one in May 2008 and one in November 2008 and then in 2009 our bonuses just didn't show up (unannounced) on the day we usually get them (Last day of March) and then in July we were given three days to decide whether to resign or take a pay cut.

The economy hasnt hit me at all.I am an exterminator in So. Calif.,and there is no shortage of bugs.My wife is a para-legal for her mother,she's not getting fired anytime soon.Thank God this economic breakdown is passing us by. :wishluck:

I'm a plumber and beleive it or not it has affected us. Do it yourselfers and what not.

:hi:

My job hasn't changed much in 30 years although my employer is removing benefits one contract at a time. Next contract we will probably lose our sick time benefits.

I am worried about my wife's job as a nurse. Lots of rumours of cuts to the health care budget and replacing nurses with lower skilled, lower paid employees.

My job is pretty stable also. People are never gonna stop using electricity and water......and they are never gonna have to stop payin for it either.

My company has cut me and my co-workers to the bone. Benefit cuts, 10% paycuts, work from home eliminated, vacation time cut. You name it, my company has cut it. My family of four is surviving on 1/2 the income that we had just 2 years ago. It's tough, but at least I'm still employed I guess. And all my girls are well right now. Which is very helpful.