• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jungle Comics survivor series

51 posts in this topic

Great thread. We should do all the major Fiction House titles!

Talk about a tall order, though...picking the best three of any is like judging a Miss Universe contest.

I'll go with:

Jungle 17, awesome pterodactyl cover.

38674.jpg

Jungle 17 is super cool!!

I also agree about the beauty contest analogy. Every post makes me re-think my

submissions.

Repeats are ok. Nominations are to get our 20 favorites to then vote them off the island out of the jungle to find our #1 favorite.

As far as other FH titles go, we have lots of other GA titles to play with in a survivor series.

So what about the "Jumbo" survivor series now.... hm

Thinking ahead of you Owl, I was looking at the Jumbo covers in the Gerbers this morning ... and I find that Jungle has better covers on average; since Ka'a'nga always has to save Ann, the covers are better than watching Sheena killing yet another part of wildlife on her own. There are of course many parallel covers between the two series but on balance, the Jungles beat out the Jumbos.

I would nominate Jungle 1, Jungle 158 and Jungle 159 (repeat).

Jungle 1 is a Lou Fine cover and one where I've seen the OA and it's spectacular. Coloring isn't quite as pleasing as the later issues but it's sill a phenomenal work of art by Fine.

158 linky: http://www.comics.org/issue/10437/cover/4/?style=default

So what about the "Jumbo" survivor series now.... hm

Thinking ahead of you Owl, I was looking at the Jumbo covers in the Gerbers this morning ... and I find that Jungle has better covers on average; since Ka'a'nga always has to save Ann, the covers are better than watching Sheena killing yet another part of wildlife on her own. There are of course many parallel covers between the two series but on balance, the Jungles beat out the Jumbos.

I concur with my esteemed associate from the North. :preach:

It's a tough choice (between Jumbo's & Jungles).... (shrug)

I think I like the Jumbo's better....some really fantastic Sheena covers by Zolnerowich (hope that's spelled correctly).

I agree with Adam Strange on Jungle #1....it's one of top five Jungles IMHO for sure...but I liked a couple of others just a little bit better...

Here are some more jungles....a little lou fine....larson....and nick cardy

Can you post a better scan of that Jungle 1? I really like the lion on the cover. It might be a replacement for 46 or 49 in my book.

bb

4154101907_f357cee49b_b.jpg

This cover is a perfect example of something that bugs the heck out of me within the Jungle covers:

1) it's quite common for Ka'a'nga's anatomy to be quite off, if not downright weird, and in my eyes, it detracts from fully enjoying the cover. There are quite a few awkward depiction in the series and

2) what's with the different treatment of the female and male body. Ann is all nice and smooth while some one took a hedge cutter to cross-hatch the Ka'a'nga figure. I have an idea why it might be ... but I need to hear it from others ... Still weird and annoying.

OK,

Since I'm a professional commercial illustrator, who went to school, and has suffered the stings and arrows, I'll venture an opinion.

To make the female look smooth and delicate, deliniation was kept to a minimum. Accentuate the curves. Little hatching and shading. Concentrate on the line.

To make the male look muscular and manly, all sorts of hatching and cross- hatching were employed. Make him angular and tough.

This creates the contrast they wanted,

As for the bad male anatomy, which I agree occures, and the nice female anatomy, who knows? They knew sales were mostly because of the woman, and they focused on that.