• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please explain why people spend $20 to slab a books that sells for $9

81 posts in this topic

I do agree that the majority of people slabbed for profits..even protecting right now is for future profits. I hope that those 9.8 books that you mentioned that can fetch $50 can maintain that price before they are selling for less than $17. Slabbing moderns will be like driving a brand new car out of the lot..it drepreciates the moment you touch it.

That`s the best way anybody ever put it. you hit the nail on the head. (thumbs u

(worship) (worship)

I wanted to bid on a Generation X 9.8 (white queen cover) and asked for the shipping cost to Belgium. I got to see the mail to late, oterwise I might have been the winner of that Ebay sell. It was gone for just over $2.50... Now, even for a modern, that must have hurt...
i seen a spider-man obama second print sell for about that in a slab.

We should set up an auction pricing system with CGC.

You should be able to tell CGC that you would be willing to offer $5 (for grading fees) for a given group of books that may only sell for $5-$10 in the retail market. If they reject the bid so be it. But that is the only way those books should be graded.

WE NEED MORE COMPETITION IN THE GRADED COMIC MARKET!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming that you're all for bar owners telling people not to drink, too, as THEY'LL NEVER GET THEIR MONEY BACK!!!! :o

There have been a number of conversations on the boards about CGC guarding their 9.9's and 10's like Fort Knox, I can tell you it's true, they just don't like giving them out anymore for whatever reason. There is no true distinction between 9.8/9/9 and 10 anymore, so that marketplace, where you used to be able to expect 9.9's and 10's on truly perfect books, no longer exists. Jay

No offense, but this is utter bollocks.

As has been discussed ad nauseum, the standards have slipped dramatically and what now ends up in a 9.8 and 9.9 slab wouldn't have scraped 9.6 a year or so ago.

I am not talking about missed defects here that result in lower grades. I am pointing to 70s and 80s book in CGC 9.2 and 9.4 that are selling for less than the slabbing costs.

What makes you think those 9.2 and 9.4 grades aren`t the result of missing defects or not knowing how to grade in general? Maybe the owners thought they had good shots at 9.6s and 9.8s and got a rude awakening from CGC. (shrug)

I have to agree with this thought. Or, the books have sentimental value to them, and they wanted to have it slabbed for that reason.

But then they wouldn`t have them for sale.

And then the sentimental value changed once they saw the grade? (shrug)

I thought you were saying they slabbed it even though it was relatively low grade because of the sentimental value. Therefore, they shouldn't have been surprised by the grade from CGC.

There have been a number of conversations on the boards about CGC guarding their 9.9's and 10's like Fort Knox, I can tell you it's true, they just don't like giving them out anymore for whatever reason. There is no true distinction between 9.8/9/9 and 10 anymore, so that marketplace, where you used to be able to expect 9.9's and 10's on truly perfect books, no longer exists. Jay

As has been discussed ad nauseum, the standards have slipped dramatically and what now ends up in a 9.8 and 9.9 slab wouldn't have scraped 9.6 a year or so ago.

I believe they have tightened back up over the last couple of months. Before and during Chicago, they were as loose as a three dollar hooker at a prison rodeo.

I think that part of the problem is that CGC is just charging too much. Given their current pricing structure, people just have better tools to analyze which book to slab and which books not to.

Given the fact that you're even talking about a bunch of books being sold below their slabbing price, which means that there clearly are people willing to pay CGC's fees for books not worth those fees, I'd say CGC is charging the right price. lol

I believe they have tightened back up over the last couple of months. Before and during Chicago, they were as loose a three dollar hooker at a prison rodeo.

No tightening on my end.

Still very generous on big ticket books that I got back.

I do agree that the majority of people slabbed for profits..even protecting right now is for future profits. I hope that those 9.8 books that you mentioned that can fetch $50 can maintain that price before they are selling for less than $17. Slabbing moderns will be like driving a brand new car out of the lot..it drepreciates the moment you touch it.

That`s the best way anybody ever put it. you hit the nail on the head. (thumbs u

(worship) (worship)

Well to be fair when you drive a car off the lot the value doesn't go down. :makepoint:

The mark-up value from the dealer to the customer is what this myth is all about.

The value is the value as it's how much more you pay to actually purchase the vehicle is the rip-off. (thumbs u

I believe they have tightened back up over the last couple of months. Before and during Chicago, they were as loose a three dollar hooker at a prison rodeo.

No tightening on my end.

So, the book you sold BucOne really wasn't a 9.6? :whistle:

No tightening on my end.

So, the book you sold BucOne really wasn't a 9.6? :whistle:

God knows what it will look like when I get it back. :screwy:

Honestly though I just think 9.8's were much harder to achieve back in 2000-2004.

I am happy with the free money but most of the HG SA I just back that achieved 9.8 I would given 9.6 excpet for one of them.

Either I am too strict or CGC is to loose.

It's very simple... You need a certain amount of books to make the pre-screen generally so you send in that amount of books. Sometimes, you will need to "fill in" an order... which means including books you know aren't "hot" but which may be the only one in the census.

You spend about $500 to slab 30 modern books. You sell the hot ones and moderately hot ones over a couple of months. By the end of the process, you're left with some books that haven't sold You've long since recouped your initial $500.... so now you're liquidating the dregs. If you were doing this on a monthly basis, you'd have two more CGC submissions already received and more in the pipeline... So it's a continual process.

The idea is to keep inventory moving. Blow out the dead weight and put it back into the kitty.

Well to be fair when you drive a car off the lot the value doesn't go down. :makepoint:

The mark-up value from the dealer to the customer is what this myth is all about.

The value is the value as it's how much more you pay to actually purchase the vehicle is the rip-off. (thumbs u

isn't the slab a "mark up" myth also? hmmmm

It's very simple... You need a certain amount of books to make the pre-screen generally so you send in that amount of books. Sometimes, you will need to "fill in" an order... which means including books you know aren't "hot" but which may be the only one in the census.

You spend about $500 to slab 30 modern books. You sell the hot ones and moderately hot ones over a couple of months. By the end of the process, you're left with some books that haven't sold You've long since recouped your initial $500.... so now you're liquidating the dregs. If you were doing this on a monthly basis, you'd have two more CGC submissions already received and more in the pipeline... So it's a continual process.

The idea is to keep inventory moving. Blow out the dead weight and put it back into the kitty.

Yup, I think you and Frank Castle have covered the reason for most of these slabs.

how many for the pre-screen? 30?