• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it EVER work?

12 posts in this topic

Without fail, every time I put up a set of OA ebay auctions, the same 1 or 2 people bid $1 on EVERYTHING I put up. I am usually putting up at least "mid level" art if not "high end", and I am just wondering if this EVER works? It must sometimes, if the people do it EVERY time. Seems like you would have to go to OA auctions every day and see which ones start at a penny and put your dollar bid in... That's a lot of work, so there must be some reward.

Heh, I am one of those people who put dollar bids, including on your auctions!

They are usually just marker bids, to remind me to snipe later on if I am so inclined at the time. Unlike watching an auction, ebay will also email you the final price of the auction if you've bid on it.

I have won art for RIDICULOUSLY low prices before, but even then I just put in a low snipe to win. Studies have shown that the 1st bidder on an auction rarely wins.

Malvin

Duane

I think Malvin has (again) covered what I would have said, about being reminded to bid again later. Not that it always helps.

Incidentally, I did finally locate the Killing Joke prelim you were asking about but it looks like its a bit late to see what they look like together.

Unless I win yours...

;)

Duane

I think Malvin has (again) covered what I would have said, about being reminded to bid again later. Not that it always helps.

Incidentally, I did finally locate the Killing Joke prelim you were asking about but it looks like its a bit late to see what they look like together.

Unless I win yours...

;)

oh_no_you_didnt.gif

and that's interesting about getting emailed the final bid. Never thought of it that way. I put marker bids on C-Link because you can't watch items... and I do put marker bids on some ebay items, but they are usually about half of what I think my final bid will be...

and that's interesting about getting emailed the final bid. Never thought of it that way. I put marker bids on C-Link because you can't watch items... and I do put marker bids on some ebay items, but they are usually about half of what I think my final bid will be...

Yeah the "marker bid" concept is pretty common amongst the art collecting types. I know of at least a dozen of us that do that on a regular basis.