• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone gotten a 9.9 or 10.0 grade

41 posts in this topic

on a submission of 5 books or less?

I think I remember hearing once that generally 9.9's and 10.0's come from large quantities of books being submitted onsite

Fixed that for ya (thumbs u

This was also a thought I had

That's not true. They can be both loose and tight onsite, just like they can be in Sarasota.

I've gotten several 9.9 grades and all were from Sarasota. Never got one on site.

No 10.0 grades...yet.

:wishluck:

I think I remember hearing once that generally 9.9's and 10.0's come from large quantities of books being submitted onsite

What are you suggesting? :o

bribe.jpg

Less time to scrutinize books as closely as they would in Sarasota (only three days to grade a shatload of books)

That's not true. They can be both loose and tight onsite, just like they can be in Sarasota.

I've gotten several 9.9 grades and all were from Sarasota. Never got one on site.

No 10.0 grades...yet.

From what I've been told, the NM 98 9.9 was an onsite and I know Mschmidt's 10.0 came onsite. Doesn't mean every submission will be a 9.9 or 10.0, but I would think the odds are increased as the graders have to get as many books done as they can in three days

From what I've been told, the NM 98 9.9 was an onsite and I know Mschmidt's 10.0 came onsite. Doesn't mean every submission will be a 9.9 or 10.0, but I would think the odds are increased as the graders have to get as many books done as they can in three days

I used to think the same thing, except Chicago and New York (after Philly) were super strict. It was like somebody changed the channel.

I think what happened is everyone vocalized about how loose they were in Philly (and during that period) and Mark compensated by tweaking the grading.

I think they can adjust it with a simple meeting...which is good because that means they have some control over it when it starts to stray.

No 10.0 grades...yet.

My 10's (two of them) were onsite - but they were also unread square-bounds in perfect condition; I honestly don't think it would have made a difference whether they were done onsite or at CGC HQ. Similar to what JJ says about the IDW books - it's harder to get a 9.8 than a 9.9 with those.

I like how the picture you chose to suggest bribery makes use of the trusty one dollar bill. Nothing gets you over quicker than slipping someone a Washington.

Maybe the $100 dollar bills are hidden behind the Washington. hm

In my experience IDW = equals 9.9 or above. I've only subbed three IDW, all three came back 9.9

I think the hardest books to get 9.9 or 10.0 on are current Marvels. They have a tendancy to come off the press all jacked up. It's been much easier to get 9.9s and higher on the indies.

That being said I still manage to get 9.9 Marvels every month and as well as the occasional 10.0.. It's just harder.

Ehhhhh...IDW 9.9s and 10s shouldn't be trivialized in 9.9 and 10 solely because they're manufactured to much higher standards.

Just because they're easier to find in these grades doesn't make them "inferior" to other 9.9s or 10s. They still have to be "found" and subbed.

And NO book published before 2001 or so (when did pre-screening start? 01? 02?) should be discounted if it's found as a 9.9 or 10, even the chromium wonder books. Chromium has its flaws, too (such as the absurdly easy scuffability of the cover, leaving hairlines galore.)

9.9s and 10s are still 9.9s and 10s, and wonders to behold.

Results this week from a (5) book submission:

3x9.9

9.8 :sorry:

All SS books. It's all about hiring the right pre-screener! :acclaim:

Probably should have contacted me then so you would have had better results... :baiting:

:slapfight:

I got a 9.9 on a book that was in a 4 book submission. That was the only copy of that particular comic I submitted.

What's funny is that I actually read the damn thing before I sent it in. hm

I got just one 9.9 from CGC, an ASM 407 from 1995.

I remember it was so tight (as in unread tight) I decided not to open it at all. The corners were razor sharp. I think the corners are key to a 9.9. Most 9.8's have a miniscule soft corner.

I got just one 9.9 from CGC, an ASM 407 from 1995.

I remember it was so tight (as in unread tight) I decided not to open it at all. The corners were razor sharp. I think the corners are key to a 9.9. Most 9.8's have a miniscule soft corner.

I'm amazed at 1993-1998 Marvels getting 9.9s and 10s, especially the plethora of gatefold covers that infested 1997-1998. Not only do you have to worry about the spine flaking, but the gatefolds flaking, too.

The cover stock was just garbage. Congrats on your Spidey #407! I imagine it will not be repeated....ever....

everytime i look at 9.9s or 10.0s on ebay it seems like there are always tons of locke & keys, are these from the indys and maybe marvel should start using their card stock. im glad they dont because i would get sick of seeing 10.0s on everything. they would start losing some of their luster.