• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite moments in Marvel this decade.

63 posts in this topic

I love all the modern bashing, but the fact is the art and writing are much better now than they ever have been, I go back and read some of the older stuff from time to time...and quite frankly some of it is laughable.

I didn't read the terms of agreement all the way through when I joined this forum, so I must have missed the part where bashing moderns and waxing nostalgic about comics that probably aren't as good as you remember, is the cool thing to do, and a requirement to be part of this forum.

I don't agree at all. My idea of great superhero comics art and writing has nothing to do with talking heads and over rendered, static images. Please, enlighten me by comparing some of this great work you're talking about and compare it to some of that "laughable" old stuff you're dissing.

Ivan Reis vs Bob Kane? Whoever wrote Batman in the 1950s vs Geoff Johns? That kinda thing?

It's not entirely fair to compare dfferent generations like that. That's like comparing Michael Jordan to NBA players in the 1950's. How about Ivan Reis vs Neal Adams or Geoff Johns vs Steve Englehart?

Ed Brubaker's Captain America series, as has been mentioned many times already, is probably one of the best I've read. I also really liked Civil War - not all the tie ins, but the main Civil war story plus Spider-Man and Captain America - I think the rest were pretty much also rans and didn't give much to the main story line.

The difference between our two statements about moderns and "older" comics is simple, you were tossing aside moderns as a whole, simply because they are moderns and based on that alone, they can't be as good as silver, bronze age etc...and you did so with an elitist attitude, which is the attitude many members on this forum take when referencing moderns. I'm merely saying it isn't that simple, the majority of my silver age, bronze age collection is Daredevil...have you read silver age Daredevil...some of it IS laughable. You compare that to what Daredevil is now...yeah...checkmate...no question.

I've read the entire Claremont/Byrne run on X-men and in no way was a run like that intended to be included as part of my "laughable" statement about older comics. That run will hold up against nearly any run you put it up against, now or then.

...and I'm not suggesting that guys like Lee, Kane, Ditko, Kirby, etc. aren't creative, talented men, and relative to the age in which they drew, they were giants, the best of the best. Trailblazers indeed.

I have no problem with the idea that some of the stuff printed now is rubbish. You get that with every form of entertainment...I have an Xbox 360 and I love my video games,but not all of them are home runs, but they sure beat the hell out of what I was playing in the eighties or even the nineties.

I'm as fond of my Miller Daredevils as the next guy...they are what made me fall in love with comics in the first place...so I wax nostalgic myself sometimes...just give moderns a chance...there is a lot of good comics out there.

Daredevil's identity revealed, eventually resulting in him finally going psychopathic on Bullseye in a truly satisfying way.

My favorite moment was in secret invasion around issue 7ish Clint Barton picks up Kate's bow and arrow and kills the skrulls and shoots the skrull queen in the face!

To dicjones The above quotes illustrate perfectly why I don't care for modern Marvel.

I love all the modern bashing, but the fact is the art and writing are much better now than they ever have been, I go back and read some of the older stuff from time to time...and quite frankly some of it is laughable.

I didn't read the terms of agreement all the way through when I joined this forum, so I must have missed the part where bashing moderns and waxing nostalgic about comics that probably aren't as good as you remember, is the cool thing to do, and a requirement to be part of this forum.

I don't agree at all. My idea of great superhero comics art and writing has nothing to do with talking heads and over rendered, static images. Please, enlighten me by comparing some of this great work you're talking about and compare it to some of that "laughable" old stuff you're dissing.

Ivan Reis vs Bob Kane? Whoever wrote Batman in the 1950s vs Geoff Johns? That kinda thing?

It's not entirely fair to compare dfferent generations like that. That's like comparing Michael Jordan to NBA players in the 1950's. How about Ivan Reis vs Neal Adams or Geoff Johns vs Steve Englehart?

You said "compar(e) some of this great work you're talking about and compare it to some of that "laughable" old stuff you're dissing." Sounded like you were at least comparing different generations.

So that's what I did. I took the good stuff and compared it to the laughable old stuff. That's what Bob Kane and the 1950s Batman are, laughable. Neal Adams isn't laughable old stuff.

Ennis Punisher brought me back into monthly comics collecting with "Welcome Back Frank" around 2000-01. Daredevil, Captain America, Nova, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, BND Spider-man, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Incredible Hercules, Planet Hulk, Old Man Logan, Ultimates, Thor and Astonishing X-men have all been good reads.

Couldn't have said it better! (worship)

In addition to Brubaker's Cap, DD & Iron Fist I have really enjoyed Thunderbolts, Secret Warriors and Agents of Atlas. New Avengers has been great as well and X-Factor with Peter David is always a must read. The Necrosha storyline has also gotten off to a really good start in X-Force, New Mutants, etc, etc.

Daredevil's identity revealed, eventually resulting in him finally going psychopathic on Bullseye in a truly satisfying way.

My favorite moment was in secret invasion around issue 7ish Clint Barton picks up Kate's bow and arrow and kills the skrulls and shoots the skrull queen in the face!

To dicjones The above quotes illustrate perfectly why I don't care for modern Marvel.

Well SorrrrEY, your highness!

Well SorrrrEY, your highness!

Don't take it personally dude, I just like my heroes to act..y'know....heroic ;)