• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15 a better investment

104 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

You know I am a big SC #22 fan, but if you are talking long term then I would go with AF #15 all the way. It is essentially the third most important comic from a character standpoint after Action #1 and Tec #27.

Aside from experiencing movie-hype, there isn't a solid comparison between the two. The fact is that Green Lantern has been around since '59 (Hal Jordan-style) and had a nice headstart on Spidey, and yet... we're talking about completely different levels of entry in the collective mainstream consciousness. Go to anyone on the street and ask them to tell you about Green Lantern and then Spider-Man.

Sure, movies generally don't pull in new comic fans, but AF 15 documents the first appearance of a pop culture icon; SC 22 documents the first appearance of a more limited cultural icon generally only recognizable by a specific population--comic fans. Even IF (and I think it's a stretch) the Ryan Reynolds GL movie is a hit, I think it's going to take a while for GL to match Spider-Man in stature outside of the comic community.

Is SC 22 a good investment? Sure is (though better to sell then buy right now), but AF 15 has much better long-term longevity in my opinion--despite higher supply.

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

Amazing Fantasy 15. You have to take into account how many collectors of Showcase 22 vs AF15. If there is 200 collectors for that showcase 22 and ten thousand for the AF15 then the Af15 would be a hotter book. Just my 2 cents.

Af #15 will always be a better book than showcase #22

1. Af 15 is a true 1st app. of one of the most beloved characters in comics

2.Showcase #22 is a 1st silver age app. of Green Lantern,but not a real 1st app.

That goes to All American comics #16 for the true 1st app.

Maybe this should be a poll between AF#15 and All American Comics #16?

Im sure it might be closer than the one you propose hm

I know there are a lot more Spiderman collectors than Green lantern collectors, but SC22 is more scarce than AF15.

Are you sure? Submission bias may be factored into the stats you quoted.

There are a lot more people looking for back issues of Amazing Spiderman than Green Lantern. If you look at the CGC registry, there are an overwhelming amount of Spiderman collections.

I know there are a lot more Spiderman collectors than Green lantern collectors, but SC22 is more scarce than AF15.

There are a lot more people looking for back issues of Amazing Spiderman than Green Lantern. If you look at the CGC registry, there are an overwhelming amount of Spiderman collections.

Your response will help you towards an answer to your original question.

Your response will help you towards an answer to your original question.

My other point is...if there are an overwhelming increase of Green Lantern collectors, the demand will outstrip the supply. Just like the AF15 demand outstrip the supply once it reach a certain price point.