• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15 a better investment

104 posts in this topic

with the right 5.0 it can have the same eye appeal as. A 6.0

With the right 5.0 your book can look like an 8.0 or better.

(thumbs u

I see this question in relation to wiping your arse

with a hand full of Ultra Soft Charmin or a Giant Cheese Grater...

the really isn't a comparison is there???

(shrug)

depends if you have a Brazilian wax or a jungle-hairy crack, no?

I should've known, only Dan could have a snappy comeback on that...

:roflmao:

Well, just think about what he has to look at every day. :eek:

:signfunny:

I can't believe an AF #15 sells for $10,000 in 5.0. That's just crazy.

'00, '01, you could pick one up for $2000.

Ah well.

there have been 5 copies that have sold in the past few months, all in the $10K range...so, that has been pretty stable... the main price drops have really been in the 6.0 to 8.0 copies, and the 3.0 to 4.0 copies (thumbs u

I've said this before.

Around 1995 I bought a Showcase 22 in VG. At the time it was roughly a $5-700 book.

In 2008 I was looking at maybe picking up a copy again. It was roughly a $5-700 book.

My suspicion is that in 2014 it will be... a $700 book.

my guess is that while it might not stay a $1750-2000 book, it won't ever see 700 again (maybe $1250 -1500 on dip down)... too many copies have changed hands now (many at double that price) for there to be that much retraction (IMO)

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

^^

Also consider the syntax and the constuction of the argument. hm

He also has a history of multiple IDs and changing IDs on Ebay (different accounts I mean, not just a name change). If one ID had any negative connections/feedback, he'd just create a new one.

Hi Everyone,

Let's not get nasty and negative here. This thread and board is about insight and fun. I sense most people would choose AF15, but thought it would cool to have everyone pick and let the market decides. :headbang:

So you're saying you are Steve Meyer? (shrug)

with the right 5.0 it can have the same eye appeal as. A 6.0

With the right 5.0 your book can look like an 8.0 or better.

(thumbs u

Listen to this guy.....his great-great aunt is named May.

I've said this before.

Around 1995 I bought a Showcase 22 in VG. At the time it was roughly a $5-700 book.

In 2008 I was looking at maybe picking up a copy again. It was roughly a $5-700 book.

my guess is that while it might not stay a $1750-2000 book, it won't ever see 700 again (maybe $1250 -1500 on dip down)... too many copies have changed hands now (many at double that price) for there to be that much retraction (IMO)

How'd that work for the housing market?

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

^^

Also consider the syntax and the constuction of the argument. hm

He also has a history of multiple IDs and changing IDs on Ebay (different accounts I mean, not just a name change). If one ID had any negative connections/feedback, he'd just create a new one.

Hi Everyone,

Let's not get nasty and negative here. This thread and board is about insight and fun. I sense most people would choose AF15, but thought it would cool to have everyone pick and let the market decides. :headbang:

So you're saying you are Steve Meyer? (shrug)

My name is Hal Jordan or Peter Parker. :jokealert:

AF 15 in a landslide. SC 22 is being mercilessly hyped by one boardie ad nauseum.

I hope so.....I've got one stashed away and could use the extra jet fuel...... :banana:

CLink has a 8.5 C/OW in their Feb Featured auction, so we'll see where the market is at in the new year (even though the C/OW pages might keep the price down a bit)

I wanted to suggest that liquidity is a factor. For instance, AF 15 is out of the price range already for the people who would most want to own it for nostalgia or pop culture interests. That's why Spidey # 1 is so popular. That being said, Showcase 22 is more accessible now and prolly a better short term investment. Low grades are 1/2 price of AF 15 .(Hunky Ryan Reynolds will not help further push 1960's Comics, just like All Star Western 10 was already popular long before Josh Brolin)

In fact, since most of us already have both these books let's go use your "investment money" and find All Star Westerns 10 and Green Lantern 76 in 9.2 or better. Can I say that on T.V. ?

I've said this before.

How'd that work for the housing market?

thank goodness comics aren't houses lol

though, some comics do cost more than the average house hm

I wanted to suggest that liquidity is a factor. For instance, AF 15 is out of the price range already for the people who would most want to own it for nostalgia or pop culture interests. That's why Spidey # 1 is so popular. That being said, Showcase 22 is more accessible now and prolly a better short term investment. Low grades are 1/2 price of AF 15 .(Hunky Ryan Reynolds will not help further push 1960's Comics, just like All Star Western 10 was already popular long before Josh Brolin)

In fact, since most of us already have both these books let's go use your "investment money" and find All Star Westerns 10 and Green Lantern 76 in 9.2 or better. Can I say that on T.V. ?

Never mind I decided to make this a my question a thread.

I see this question in relation to wiping your arse

with a hand full of Ultra Soft Charmin or a Giant Cheese Grater...

the really isn't a comparison is there???

(shrug)

depends if you have a Brazilian wax or a jungle-hairy crack, no?

I should've known, only Dan could have a snappy comeback on that...

:roflmao:

Well, just think about what he has to look at every day. :eek:

:signfunny:

Fusilli Jerry!!!!

90974.jpg

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Can I choose Showcase 4 instead?

If I was going to "invest", I would want to buy a key book with staying power that is not particularly hot right now.

While Showcase 4 isn't "cold", I think its current demand is way down compared to the past, especially in comparison to Showcase 22. I don't think that is a permanent change though, so at some point I think demand will probably pick up again for Showcase 4, making it potentially a decent investment from here.

I would avoid Showcase 22 for "investment" purposes.

I will eventually own an AF15, but I will not be buying it for investment. If I ever get my copy, it will have to be pryed from my cold, dead hands.