• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15 a better investment

104 posts in this topic

Amazing Fantasy 15 hands down for this one reason, Spider-man has been an icon since the 1960`s with the Amazing Spider-man cartoon, while some people still haven`t even heard of Green Lantern yet. also you never know the Green Lantern movie could bomb or be at a Daredevil/Ghost Rider quality type level.In the long run AF 15 by a mile.

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

^^

Also consider the syntax and the constuction of the argument. hm

He also has a history of multiple IDs and changing IDs on Ebay (different accounts I mean, not just a name change). If one ID had any negative connections/feedback, he'd just create a new one.

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

^^

Also consider the syntax and the constuction of the argument. hm

He also has a history of multiple IDs and changing IDs on Ebay (different accounts I mean, not just a name change). If one ID had any negative connections/feedback, he'd just create a new one.

Hi Everyone,

Let's not get nasty and negative here. This thread and board is about insight and fun. I sense most people would choose AF15, but thought it would cool to have everyone pick and let the market decides. :headbang:

in the past year or so, AF 15 prices have retracted, and retracted semi dramatically from 2008 highs (many many examples of double digit % decreases)... on the other side, SC22 prices have escalated exponentially just in the past 7 monhts... that said, SC22 prices seem to be in a mild retraction stage at this point...

so, if someone were to ask me today, spend $10K on a 5.0 AF 15 or $2500 on a 5.0 SC22, then SC22 probably has more room, % wise to grow (in other words, if they both go up by $500, then af15 has a 5% increase, where as sc 22 has a 20% increase)...but AF15 is more established and still more "stable", even at 4x the price

that said, demand wise AF15 will likely always be far greater, and thus you have the potential still, for greater return $ wise on AF 15 (long term)... the short term speculative return on SC22 ended about 3 months ago (for those that already owned), but we might still see another small bump up...

Rick, has been a long time collector/dealer and has been known to move it and out of comics. His knowledge, insight and market predictions has been very accurate and I see him as a great adviser and asset to the comic book industry. (thumbs u

I've said this before.

Around 1995 I bought a Showcase 22 in VG. At the time it was roughly a $5-700 book.

In 2008 I was looking at maybe picking up a copy again. It was roughly a $5-700 book.

My suspicion is that in 2014 it will be... a $700 book.

I know there are a lot more Spiderman collectors than Green lantern collectors, but SC22 is more scarce than AF15.

Scarcity is worthless if no demand for the product

+1. Green Lantern won't be the hottest thing on the market in a few years (if it lasts that long), but AF15's will always be desireable.

AF 15 hands down.

That's not a Betty or Veronica question, that's a Betty or Ethel question.

What are you saying, huh? That Ethel's not a hot babe...???

22596-ethel_mertz.jpg

Pffffft.

Whatev.

This Ethel. doh!

96499_20071125110058_large.jpg

in the past year or so, AF 15 prices have retracted, and retracted semi dramatically from 2008 highs (many many examples of double digit % decreases)... on the other side, SC22 prices have escalated exponentially just in the past 7 monhts... that said, SC22 prices seem to be in a mild retraction stage at this point...

so, if someone were to ask me today, spend $10K on a 5.0 AF 15 or $2500 on a 5.0 SC22, then SC22 probably has more room, % wise to grow (in other words, if they both go up by $500, then af15 has a 5% increase, where as sc 22 has a 20% increase)...but AF15 is more established and still more "stable", even at 4x the price

that said, demand wise AF15 will likely always be far greater, and thus you have the potential still, for greater return $ wise on AF 15 (long term)... the short term speculative return on SC22 ended about 3 months ago (for those that already owned), but we might still see another small bump up...

To throw a monkey at the wrench here, if you spent $5,000 to $10,000 on multiple copies CGC high grade New Mutants #98 five years ago,you would have made back more profit then your one VG copy of AF 15 and maybe if you buy another $5000 to $10,000 of multiple copies of high grade CGC New Mutants 98 in five years they might be the most profitable. Just food for thought as I like to think outside of the box.

I don't care about profit but if my books go up in value that's great...

If I had a choice, AF15 all the way. It's one of my grails. But don't worry, if anyone wants to get me a Showcase 22 for Christmas I'll treasure that too! lol

I find it interesting that when I talk to people about my comic book collection, regular people, they know what Amazing Fantasy 15 is sometimes. Showcase 22?? Outside of comic fans no not many people will recognize the cover...

Future collectors will be drawn to AF15 right away.

To throw a monkey at the wrench here, if you spent $5,000 to $10,000 on multiple copies CGC high grade New Mutants #98 five years ago,you would have made back more profit then your one VG copy of AF 15 and maybe if you buy another $5000 to $10,000 of multiple copies of high grade CGC New Mutants 98 in five years they might be the most profitable. Just food for thought as I like to think outside of the box.

Funny you should mention this. When I first started collecting comics back in the early 90's, New Mutants 87 was THE #1 hottest back issue in the market. This of course led many folks including myself to collect the end run of New Mutants #86 - 100 which was very popular at the time. By the time I went to my first comic show, I just needed NM#98 to complete my run. There was this one dealer that had a long box of nothing but that issue for $4 each. At that time, no one would have ever imagined that Deadpool would be more popular then Cable. Even though I did cherry picked one copy to complete my run, I would have snapped up as much as I can....if only I knew. lol

AF 15 hands down.

That's not a Betty or Veronica question, that's a Betty or Ethel question.

What are you saying, huh? That Ethel's not a hot babe...???

22596-ethel_mertz.jpg

Pffffft.

Whatev.

This Ethel. doh!

96499_20071125110058_large.jpg

So I don't read Archie....joke still works, doesn't it? ;)

I've said this before.

Around 1995 I bought a Showcase 22 in VG. At the time it was roughly a $5-700 book.

In 2008 I was looking at maybe picking up a copy again. It was roughly a $5-700 book.

My suspicion is that in 2014 it will be... a $700 book.

I doubt it will be that price again by 2014, unless the comic market as a whole takes a hit, which is possible given the economic pain we are going to endure for a while longer.

Spider-man is Marvel's Superman.

If that is the case, then Spidey is kind of screwed since it will mean a run of crappier movies after the 1st one including weaker and weaker villains like the Sandman or the Vulture.............