• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15 a better investment

104 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

I know there are a lot more Spiderman collectors than Green lantern collectors, but SC22 is more scarce than AF15.

Are you sure? Submission bias may be factored into the stats you quoted.

There are a lot more people looking for back issues of Amazing Spiderman than Green Lantern. If you look at the CGC registry, there are an overwhelming amount of Spiderman collections.

Your response will help you towards an answer to your original question.

My other point is...if there are an overwhelming increase of Green Lantern collectors, the demand will outstrip the supply. Just like the AF15 demand outstrip the supply once it reach a certain price point.

Seems to me like the increase in the supply of new Showcase 22s is outstripping the increase of GL collectors.

I know there are a lot more Spiderman collectors than Green lantern collectors, but SC22 is more scarce than AF15.

There are a lot more people looking for back issues of Amazing Spiderman than Green Lantern. If you look at the CGC registry, there are an overwhelming amount of Spiderman collections.

My other point is...if there are an overwhelming increase of Green Lantern collectors, the demand will outstrip the supply. Just like the AF15 demand outstrip the supply once it reach a certain price point.

You could say that for pretty much any character, though - it still doesn't change the fact that Green Lantern is a b-level character (at best), with practically no main-stream character recognition, and that the book you're hyping isn't even the first appearance of this character.

And, honestly, do you really think the Green Lantern movie is going to be any good? No, seriously?

If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15.

True, but there are also 10,000 AF 15 collectors for every Showcase 22 collector.

There is definitely a lot of collectors looking for AF15. We are talking about investment here. For example: Today, If one bought a AF 15 8.0 for 70K and a SC22 8.0 for $19K, which book will be a better investment for your money the next 3-5 years? Clearly AF15 and SC22 was a better investment than SC4, BB28, AMS1, GL1 the last 3-5 years.

You could say that for pretty much any character, though - it still doesn't change the fact that Green Lantern is a b-level character (at best), with practically no main-stream character recognition, and that the book you're hyping isn't even the first appearance of this character.

And, honestly, do you really think the Green Lantern movie is going to be any good? No, seriously?

I'm a fan of both AF15 and SC22 or you can say Spiderman and Green Lantern...just wanted to point out the correlations of both books.

Demand for all comics that sell for more than cover price outstrips supply. I want an AF #15. I'm simply not willing to pay what the market has dictated it will cost to obtain one.

So make no mistake....demand farrrrrr outstrips supply for books like this. That's why it sells for thousands of dollars all the time.

When was the last time a copy of AF #15 "slipped through the cracks" and sold for significantly less than similar copies? 1964?

There's really no contest, AF #15 by a mile. Showcase #22 is a much more difficult book and credited with starting the Silver Age, but the demand is just not there otherwise. It's basically a dead book compared to AF #15.

Showcase 22 has already had its large uptick, and will presumably plateau in price now that the market has had time to readjust to speculator demand and the movie hype (like the film'll drag in new punters prepared to sink money into that book, or any comic book, for that matter).

I'm a big fan of GL and especially Showcase 22 with its classic cover, but don't see it as a particularly good investment period - that ship has sailed. I also think that AF 15 is overheated but due to perceived demand and notions of importance (which are to be fair correct) the market for this book will never depreciate even if by all logic it should. That book is index-linked with the health of the hobby as a whole - if it goes down, then everything suffers.

Nevertheless if I was to choose between the two I'd still pick AF 15.

AF #15 every time.

AF #15 is currently 3rd only to Tec #27 and Action #1 in most collectors sights.

Showcase #22 would not be in the top 10.

In terms of the film I have a problem with the general audience finding the Green Lantern concept credible.

Hi Everyone,

As of today 12/13/09, there are 268 Showcase 22 and 1275 Amazing Fantasy 15 in the CGC census. If you do the math there one Showcase 22 for every five Amazing Fantasy 15. Theoretically, there should be approximately one to five ratio in raw copies too. There is a Spiderman 4 movie is released May 6, 2011 and Green Lantern movie is released June 17, 2011. There are great correlations between the two books. Below are the correlations.

1) both are first appearance of their character

2) both are a test of the character before a regular series

3) difficult to find in high grade

4) both have a series starting with #1

5) first appearance is worth three to four times more than their #1's

6) Amazing Fantasy 15 had a big price appreciation in 2008, Showcase 22 had a big price

appreciation in 2009

7) prices are stable for both books

So, which one would be a better investment Showcase 22 or Amazing Fantasy 15?

By the way, are you Steve? Because I haven't seen anyone grinding this hard to pump up a book since someone also with "Showcase" in his name was doing his utmost to pump up an alliteratively named book that shall not be mentioned.

^^

Also consider the syntax and the constuction of the argument. hm

Hmm, after thinking about this thread again I think I am going rogue, and picking the Showcase 22, as a better investment, despite being a huge Spidey fan. Why is that? Because in the first rule in investing is that you do not go with what everyone else thinks is a good investment. Let's take a time machine back to say November of 1999. Talk to everyone who dealt with stocks. Ask them if Internet stock was a wise investment. Lets take another time trip to March 2004. Ask anyone involved in the real estate market if investing in houses was a wise investment. See when everyone in their brother believes something is a wise investment then the investment potential has ALREADY been MAXIMIZED. Green Lantern on the other hand is being scoffed at by a vast majority of people. Therefore the investment potential has not been maximized, and room to grow. But of course just because a Comic Book has room to grow means that it will grow. In my opinion the biggest reason why Green Lantern is being panned on these boards is because he is a D.C. character. Green Lantern is huge in the comic universe. Like someone said showcase kick started the Silver Age. Green Lantern also created the Justice League of America, and if they truly are going to make a movie about the Justice League of America, than Green Lantern will figure prominently in this.

Also one last thing. In the beginning of 2009 if you were to ask this very same board who would rise more in value for 2009. Green Lantern or AF 15, I would not be surprised if people would of said AF 15 by a mile.

Showcase 22 is no match for AF15.

It's not about what the people think is a wise investment, it's about which character is more prominent and what character the people like more. You could also compare the first app. from Superman and Wonder Woman. Both are very expensive but WW could never top Superman, because she is not such an iconic character as Superman.

Showcase 22 is no match for AF15.

It's not about what the people think is a wise investment, it's about which character is more prominent and what character the people like more. You could also compare the first app. from Superman and Wonder Woman. Both are very expensive but WW could never top Superman, because she is not such an iconic character as Superman.

No more specifically it is about the room for a comic to grow. I see from these boards alone that Showcase 22 still has a lot of room to grow. I just don't see how AF 15 can grow as much. Now like I said, the investment potential is on Showcase 22 side, but just because it has potential does not mean it will meet that potential.

in the past year or so, AF 15 prices have retracted, and retracted semi dramatically from 2008 highs (many many examples of double digit % decreases)... on the other side, SC22 prices have escalated exponentially just in the past 7 monhts... that said, SC22 prices seem to be in a mild retraction stage at this point...

so, if someone were to ask me today, spend $10K on a 5.0 AF 15 or $2500 on a 5.0 SC22, then SC22 probably has more room, % wise to grow (in other words, if they both go up by $500, then af15 has a 5% increase, where as sc 22 has a 20% increase)...but AF15 is more established and still more "stable", even at 4x the price

that said, demand wise AF15 will likely always be far greater, and thus you have the potential still, for greater return $ wise on AF 15 (long term)... the short term speculative return on SC22 ended about 3 months ago (for those that already owned), but we might still see another small bump up...