• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Deadpool overtaken Wolverine in popularity?

54 posts in this topic

I dont know ,I think Deapool has been popular with the younger crowd since his inception.and now those teenagers in the 80s are adults with money to spare.

Thoughts? hm

I was in my initial full-collecting swing when Deadpool came out and frankly, he just has a different feel now than he did then with specific regards to the over-the-top personality of present day. Yeah, he kicked butt and he had a flair but not someone who really stuck out to me like others.

From the dealers and sellers I've spoken to of late, the bigger fanbase tends to be the 20 and younger collectors / readers out there who weren't collecting or reading when Deadpool initially broke out. So, maybe that actually speaks to the possibility it's too early to really judge Wade's collectability since the majority of his fanbase hasn't really had the nostalgia factor kick in yet and the prices we're seeing are mostly people looking to find the next big thing?

i think the best way to tell how popular a character is is by non regular readers. my mom knows who wolverine is, spiderman is etc etc. i doubt you could find anyone who dosent read comics, that could pick deadpool out of a police line up

For now my friend, ask that same question in a few years after the Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool movie.ask non-readers who Tony Stark/Ironman was a few years ago and they say Tony who?

True but the problem you're going to run into is this:

Ask those same people who Robert Downey Jr. is and then ask them who Ryan Reynolds is and you'll see similar results. I think a LARGE part of the success behind Iron Man had to do with them really going out of their way to land a rock solid actor with the proven acting chops behind him. Ryan Reynolds has done fine with sophomoric comedies and somewhat forced dry wit action movie characters. Don't get me wrong: I liked Reynolds well enough in Blade III and Wolverine, but his acting skills are nowhere near RDJr's.

It's probably safe to say that around 1990 - the Punisher was bigger than Wolverine.

Absolutely. He was all the rage with multiple titles and more crossovers than a Transvestite party on Halloween.

:grin:

Heck, who didn't the Punisher have a crossover story with? Maybe Liberace?

This issue says it all doh!

archie-punisher-1.jpg

A classic! A more entertaining read than most Punisher books if I recall.

I dont know ,I think Deapool has been popular with the younger crowd since his inception.and now those teenagers in the 80s are adults with money to spare.

Thoughts? hm

I was in my initial full-collecting swing when Deadpool came out and frankly, he just has a different feel now than he did then with specific regards to the over-the-top personality of present day. Yeah, he kicked butt and he had a flair but not someone who really stuck out to me like others.

From the dealers and sellers I've spoken to of late, the bigger fanbase tends to be the 20 and younger collectors / readers out there who weren't collecting or reading when Deadpool initially broke out. So, maybe that actually speaks to the possibility it's too early to really judge Wade's collectability since the majority of his fanbase hasn't really had the nostalgia factor kick in yet and the prices we're seeing are mostly people looking to find the next big thing?

or Deadpool could be thier hero to our generations Spider-man or our fathers Superman.

i think the best way to tell how popular a character is is by non regular readers. my mom knows who wolverine is, spiderman is etc etc. i doubt you could find anyone who dosent read comics, that could pick deadpool out of a police line up

For now my friend, ask that same question in a few years after the Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool movie.ask non-readers who Tony Stark/Ironman was a few years ago and they say Tony who?

i agree totally, but before the movie hype starts, wolverine is still king.