• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is erasing pencil marks considered restore?

29 posts in this topic

It is restoration but it isnt 'restoration'

It will not be noted by CGC. If there is any damage as a result of the dry cleaning it will be downgraded accordingly.

If it is a date stamp/mark, then CGC won't downgrade the book because of it. If it is GA, consider it part of the book's history.

Just wanted to clarify, CGC does sometimes downgrade for some stamps on HG books depending on the size and where they were placed. But they have to really affect the cover art.

The typical heavy handed drugstore clerk not paying attention to where they were stamping the book comes to mind.

I am sure there are plenty of badly stamped books sitting in 9.8 slabs out there to prove me wrong though. doh!

I'm recalling the Rocky Mountain Avengers 57 9.8 that CLink sold. Big, ugly, smudged, red date stamp right in the middle of the cover. Based on that one, it'd have to be one honkin' ugly date stamp to reduce a grade.

I'm recalling the Rocky Mountain Avengers 57 9.8 that CLink sold. Big, ugly, smudged, red date stamp right in the middle of the cover. Based on that one, it'd have to be one honkin' ugly date stamp to reduce a grade.
I think it has to be more than a standard date stamp to hurt the grade. Like the big store stamps with date, name , address etc .

I think it has to be more than a standard date stamp to hurt the grade. Like the big store stamps with date, name , address etc .

I've seen some store stamps (one from a Tennessee bookstore comes to mind) that was near half the cover in size :insane:

I've seen some store stamps (one from a Tennessee bookstore comes to mind) that was near half the cover in size :insane:

Bonnett's in Dayton, Ohio has a monstrously large stamp that they brutalized thousands of comics with. :sick:

Bonnett's in Dayton, Ohio has a monstrously large stamp that they brutalized thousands of comics with. :sick:

Did the comics go to their "happy place" when brutalized, I mean stamped, I hope?

btw, I heard Cobblestone is on the ropes, this true?

please don't try to rub one out in the forum I mean books have more character with arrival dates

Let me correct you...GA books have more character with date stamps. Anything after that should be considered a flaw!

please don't try to rub one out in the forum I mean books have more character with arrival dates

Let me correct you...GA books have more character with date stamps. Anything after that should be considered a flaw!

:screwy:

I have yet to see a book down graded for a date/arrival stamp. It was a industry wide and accepted practice. Retailers had to keep a record of what was in there store. When a book had to be sent back for a credit, etc.

The stamp on this book isn't very big. But it is very easy to see.

91431.jpg.7588bff7aa30f1bcc6e4cd848fef5db1.jpg