• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have a Sgt. Fury 5?

20 posts in this topic

If anyone can dig out their copy and help me out, that would be great. I seem to have a copy with only seven pages after the centerfold. Story is complete. On comics.org I can't seem to find any evidence of a pinup page.

So my question is, does your copy have eight pages before the cf and eight after and what's at the centerfold and what are the last few pages?

Yep. 8 (16 ) pages before and after counting the centrefold.

After the centrefold:

Front/Back

Ad page "Hypno-Coin"/Comic page 15

Comic pages 16/17

Comic pages 18/19

Ad page "102 Smash Songs"/House Ad for Avengers #3

Ad page of small classified/Comic page 20

Comic pages 21/22

Comic page 23/Weapons of War pin-up

Ad page "Amateur Magic/ Ad page Mike Marvel

Very nice book upon review. I hope yours is one you can return.

See your question was answered but taking a moment to appreciate Sgt. Fury 5, the first Fury I ever read (it was a well-used copy found in an old book store). Great story and gotta love that panel where Fury has three hands. Much underappreciated series.

Thank you gentlemen! If you can believe it, my copy is missing the page with the house ad for Avengers 3. It's very rare for me to come across a missing page that's not at the end (centerfolds excepted). Now that I know where to look there is just the barest whisper of paper there in one spot from the missing page. The book had the staples on the back cover which I think didn't help too much.

Yes, this book is totally refundable but it's a shame.

Marc

See your question was answered but taking a moment to appreciate Sgt. Fury 5, the first Fury I ever read (it was a well-used copy found in an old book store). Great story and gotta love that panel where Fury has three hands. Much underappreciated series.

I will look for that panel.

It was odd for me to see the weapons of war page signed Stan and Jack.

If you can believe it, my copy is missing the page with the house ad for Avengers 3.

I've actually seen a fairly significant number of Marvels from this period ('63/'64) with house ads clipped. My only guess is that kids loved these books so much that they were decorating their rooms, lockers, notebooks, etc. with whatever they could chop out that looked cool, but which still left the stories in-tact...

I would never cut anything out of a comic as a kid but, as some posters will remember, back in the late 60s and early 70s, comic book stores could be numbered on one hand.

If you didn't have a book, you didn't even know what it looked like. Those house ads were magic.

The books pictured were only five or so years old, but given the nature of the "market place", they might as well have been one hundred. I could see how a kid might want to remove and save the ads --- the only way to understand the history of Marvel and its comics was to do the "research" yourself.

(thumbs u

I don't see any panels where Fury has three hands... hm

Sometimes the coloring makes it easy to miss that Fury is holding another soldier though...

I don't have the book in front of me but the whole book is practically stored in my brain so I recall it was during his swordfight with Baron Strucker, a shot of Fury's back as he starts to wobble and just before he falls, due to the mickey that Strucker put in his drink

If you can believe it, my copy is missing the page with the house ad for Avengers 3.

I've actually seen a fairly significant number of Marvels from this period ('63/'64) with house ads clipped. My only guess is that kids loved these books so much that they were decorating their rooms, lockers, notebooks, etc. with whatever they could chop out that looked cool, but which still left the stories in-tact...

I heard once that Marvel clipped house ads but because they didn't throw any books out some ended up in the back issues which, in the early days, they would send to fans.

Sometimes the coloring makes it easy to miss that Fury is holding another soldier though...

I don't have the book in front of me but the whole book is practically stored in my brain so I recall it was during his swordfight with Baron Strucker, a shot of Fury's back as he starts to wobble and just before he falls, due to the mickey that Strucker put in his drink

I apologize... YOU ARE CORRECT. (worship)

91310.jpg.04067d2b74fc1c4f582eacb249c648f0.jpg

Could it be three arms where he is cradling Rebel?

SF5panel.jpg

While I was scanning, I had to include page 11 -- absolute classic Sgt. Fury and classic Lee/Kirby/Roussos.

SF5p11.jpg

It's a pleasure to read a Sgt. Fury story where Pamela is still alive.

p.s. I see after posting that the infamous third hand has been found.

(thumbs u

Im slowly working on a nice raw run of Sgt. Fury. Very fun to put together, great covers, and low demand at the moment makes my collecting dollar go farther.

I heard once that Marvel clipped house ads but because they didn't throw any books out some ended up in the back issues which, in the early days, they would send to fans.

They were also torn out to give to Mom with a request to look for that specific issue while she was at the store :shy: ....alwas do a page count on early SA Marvels, they're notorious for this. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's it! Man, that brings back memories of when I first read it.

You guys made it easy on me to see the three hands panel, funny stuff.

For me, the missing pages are almost always pinup pages, not house ad pages. I do get Marvels where the fan was so fanatical they clipped out all the ad pages they could so they could have a more concentrated story experience, but I don't think it was for house ads.

As for the person who said Marvel would clip out the house ads, why would they do that????

My copy of 5 has the page cut out in a very expert manner, really clean with essentially no paper showing.

Btw, I agree on page 11. I noted that page as being really fun when I was looking through the book this morning.

Alien symbiote? hm