• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longevity in the hobby

56 posts in this topic

I started sometime around 1990... slowed when I went to college in '96... started back up heavily again in 2002 once I moved my collection out of my mom's house and into my own house.

Now I go to work, get drunk, go home and read/sort comics.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've never taken a break from collecting...but then again I only started in 2002 :cry:

It's not length, but breadth that counts. :foryou:

Thanks...I had to look up "breadth" though :kidaround:

Every English teacher needs to learn new words.

I doffed the blackboard almost a week ago.

I got my first comic in 1973 at a flee market (Silver Surfer #1 for 25c)

pretty much been collecting or reading or someway involved my whole life...I temp stopped collecting vintage comics (GA/SA) in 1995 when I sold off most all to start my business, but I still kept reading and "saving" moderns up to today, so I guess I have never really stopped (shrug)

Don't know exactly what year I started, but it was around 1961 or so. Stopped when I went into the military in 1972. Did eight years there and then started back up in 1981 or 82.

So I missed ten years. But I have made up for it for sure.

My impetus for starting back up was two fold. First, after I got out of the military I was handed a carboard box full of comics that I had as a kid, that my aunt had saved for me all those years (I assumed they had been thrown away and had forgot about them), and secondly, I became a cop and my new partner was a reader of comic books. We used to stop at a LCS and he would ask me to wait in the car while he went inside and came out with books in a brown paper bag and keep them from my sight. I of couse knew what they were and found out we had a common interest. He became and is today my best friend. He is an African American. I only mention that because in my experience, there are few black people interested in comic books.

He still only reads them and I still only collect them,without reading them.

Yep. Opposites attract. :)

And yep....This is mostly Gary's fault (and my wonderful aunt Carla).

Read comics a little as a kid. Started collecting after I got of college in 1985 and have been actively collecting since then.

Started reading circa 1977 - 1978 and though there were lean years of interest in the early '90's (1989 - 1994), I have never really stopped completely. (thumbs u

It comes down to a love of the medium rather than a love of the books (condition, etc ...). Too much great material to read out there and too little time :sorry:

Started reading circa 1977 - 1978 and though there were lean years of interest in the early '90's (1989 - 1994), I have never really stopped completely. (thumbs u

It comes down to a love of the medium rather than a love of the books (condition, etc ...). Too much great material to read out there and too little time :sorry:

Just don't break your glasses after the bomb finally goes off. ;)

Just don't break your glasses after the bomb finally goes off. ;)

lol I still have good enough eye-sight, thank goodness!

I've never taken a break from collecting...but then again I only started in 2002 :cry:

It's not length, but breadth that counts. :foryou:

So...., the girls all call you "Tuna Fish Can" ??

I started reading/collecting in 1968 at the tender age of four. My first comic was TV Casper # 20. My second one was a WDC&S with Goofy biting into a hot dog and getting mustard on Mickey and Donald.

I read/collected until 1980, then took a break until 1984. I started collecting heavily from 1985 to 1990 (modern and GA/SA/BA), then I took a break for two years. I started reading/collecting again from 92-95, when I gave up on new comics and stopped getting back issues -- I had about 7000 comics and ran out of room. I started back up again in 2005 with GA/SA issues, and have been going ever since. I got rid of a lot of moderns (80s-90s) and have been reading new DCs the last two years.

I took a break a couple of weeks ago. Went on vacation. Had fun. Then back to collecting.

I'll do that about once a year. Same routine since the early '70s.

He is an African American. I only mention that because in my experience, there are few black people interested in comic books.

He still only reads them and I still only collect them,without reading them.

Yep. Opposites attract. :)

And yep....This is mostly Gary's fault (and my wonderful aunt Carla).

interesting observation but I wonder why that is? Interestingly enough, my 2 best friends in 8th and 9th grade that collected comics were African Americans. We all lived in the project (or whatever people want to call it) and they used to read comics in the bus on the way home from school and one day they noticed I was trying to read over their shoulders and that was how the friendship started.

I've been going strong since about 1971-72, but took most of my college years, 1982-1985 off. As soon as the break was over, and I sobered up from college, I quickly found everything I missed during those years.

Same story here. Started collecting when I was around 7 (in 1975) and have only taken a break for my college years (1986-1989). I woulda kept collecting but spent my money on babes and drugs. I still get comics every week...

Still have all my original comics, too. Mom was cool!