• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to use a *spoon* apostrophe

135 posts in this topic

I flunked English. Does punctuation matter if you've got nice Golden Age books for sale, zero posts and no one knows you?

DRX

That would depend on the prices posted.

:o

Ill" remember that!

DRX

I can take it no longer. Here's how it works folks, straight from the punctuation police handbook:

Plurals, i.e. more than one of something, get an "s" on the end with no apostrophe.

"I bought a bunch of Batmans today."

"Jack Kirby drew a lot of comics in the Silver Age."

"Moderns are not worth pig spit once you get them out of the store."

Possessives, i.e. something that belongs to something else, gets an "s" on the end WITH an apostrophe.

"Batman's utility belt sure is nifty."

"Jack Kirby's artwork hugely influenced Silver Age artists."

"That pig's spit is worth more than most modern comics."

That's the basics. Learn 'em and use 'em. There's no excuse for looking like an illiterate *spoon* on a board dedicated to a literary/artistic form.

(worship)

and now, of course, be prepared for the inevitable "Your a grammar nazi" , and the whole "everybody understands what I right anyways" .

What's been bothering me lately is the use of the word "of" in place of the contraction " 've " like "would of" instead of "would have", although granted, "would've" looks a little weird.

Using "of" here (would of, should of) is just stupid, sorry.

I can take it no longer. Here's how it works folks, straight from the punctuation police handbook:

Plurals, i.e. more than one of something, get an "s" on the end with no apostrophe.

"I bought a bunch of Batmans today."

"Jack Kirby drew a lot of comics in the Silver Age."

"Moderns are not worth pig spit once you get them out of the store."

Possessives, i.e. something that belongs to something else, gets an "s" on the end WITH an apostrophe.

"Batman's utility belt sure is nifty."

"Jack Kirby's artwork hugely influenced Silver Age artists."

"That pig's spit is worth more than most modern comics."

That's the basics. Learn 'em and use 'em. There's no excuse for looking like an illiterate *spoon* on a board dedicated to a literary/artistic form.

You're my new best friend. :applause: Let's confuse everyone now with its (possessive) and it's (contraction).

Ha Ha. I have seen so many corrections on here, of grammer and spelling errors, that I ignore them for the most part.

But when I do point out an error, I get admonished for being a "grammer cop".

I guess some can live with them. Some can live with some, and some can not tolerate any errors.

I only had one year in college but I remember my favorite teacher telling us that language is a way of expressing an idea. A way of transmitting a thought or message.

If the recipient of the message understood the message, then the mission is accomplished.

Spelled correctly or not.

Just a thought. :)

P.S. I think that I use too many commas when I write (and according to my wife, when I speak). :)

Ha Ha. I have seen so many corrections on here, of grammer and spelling errors, that I ignore them for the most part.

I guess some can live with them. Some can live with some, and some can not tolerate any errors.

I only had one year in college but I remember my favorite teacher telling us that language is a way of expressing an idea. A way of transmitting a thought or message.

If the recipient of the message understood the message, then the mission is accomplished.

P.S. I think that I use too many commas when I write (and according to my wife, when I speak). :)

you spelled grammar wrong :grin:

It's / its.

Nothing more abused on the boards.

I believe that is most common error anywhere.

I was told an easy way to remember which to use:

Its is the pronoun. Like him, her, them - no apostrophe.

It's is the contraction - It is.

So, when you want to talk about the quality of something it's its.

That's because I do not agree with how it is spelled. Who pronounces it "gram are"? It is pronounced "gram er".

You forgot to capitalize your "Y" and forgot your period.

:) Just being silly.

That's because I do not agree with how it is spelled. Who pronounces it "gram are"? It is pronounced "gram er".

You forgot to say "I'm" before you said "Just being silly".

:baiting:

Did you mean that I forgot to "write" or "type" I'm?

Additionally, the quotation marks are supposed to be after the sentence period. Not before the period.

This could go on forever.

Did you mean that I forgot to "write" or "type" I'm?

Additionally, the quotation marks are supposed to be after the sentence period. Not before the period.

This could go on forever.

Actually, "In America, Mr. Writer puts the punctuation inside the quotation marks."

But, "In England, Mr Writer puts the punctuation outside the quotation marks".

but people who use an apostrophe when writing a plural are dumbasses

(worship)

Yet even those who should know better often use the possessive when pluralizing years (e.g. "And even into the 80's I always (at the time, and still do to some degree) felt that DC tried to capitalize all of Marvels ideas...." - Seank). :baiting:

Comment board posting ranks about the same as email, it's nice if proper grammar, punctuation and spelling are used, but I don't want to be graded on my efforts. Given the speed and stream of consciousness nature of most postings, consistent misspelling is the only one of these that I really notice.

Yet even those who should know better often use the possessive when pluralizing years (e.g. "And even into the 80's I always (at the time, and still do to some degree) felt that DC tried to capitalize all of Marvels ideas...." - Seank). :baiting:

That's because it is correct to use an apostrophe when pluralizing years. It is also accepted to omit the apostrophe.

Just trying to up the pedantry of the thread. :baiting: